UKC

ARTICLE: In Memory of Pete Kirton RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Nov 2017
Enjoying the Bowderstone, 4 kbPete Kirton sadly passed away last week at the age of 57. Whilst his name may not be familiar with many, his contribution to British rock climbing was immeasurable. Pete was one of the first climbers in the country to pursue bouldering for the sake of bouldering. He influenced many by developing problems in Northumberland, The Peak District and spent some time developing the Bowderstone with Jerry Moffatt. Tales of his strength echo down from that generation, along with his wry sense of humour and humility. In this article, Andy Pollitt and Andy Reeve remember Pete from two very different parts of his life; his time as a climber in Sheffield and his time as a mental health nurse.

Read more
 Dave Flanagan 09 Nov 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

Over a decade ago I got permission to post Pete's piece 'Working Class' on my site. It's a beautiful piece of writing and well worth reading, today of all days.

http://theshortspan.com/features/petekirton.htm
 airborne 09 Nov 2017

Why can't I see the 'like' button? This article deserves hundreds.
 Will Hunt 09 Nov 2017

I'm not sure if some censorship has taken place, but the term of endearment that Andy Reeve referred to on UKB was one which you might use to refer to a person you're seeing next Tuesday.
 JLS 09 Nov 2017

Seems to have been an impressive person.
Anyone got a link to a photograph of the man?

Ah, I wondered what the connection was when Andy turned up at the Stag earlier!

Nice article from 2 entirely different parts of Pete's life.

I had a brief chat with Pete's dad tonight and we were regaled of tales of Pete's dad and a certain Manchester plumber!
 scree 09 Nov 2017
In reply to JLS:
If you have access to Extreme Rock - the book, there's a picture of Pete belaying for Chris Gore on Footless Crow.
 Pedro50 09 Nov 2017
In reply to scree:

> If you have access to Extreme Rock - the book, there's a picture of Pete belaying for Chris Gore on Footless Crow.

Great pic; Ron Hills, Fires and a V neck woolly jumper. Respect!
 paul mitchell 10 Nov 2017

Having met Pete's Dad after the funeral,it was easy to see where the kindness and climbing gift came from.

He took Pete climbing at age 15 and by the end of the first day,the son was outclimbing the father.

Kirton senior had tried the Cromlech girdle before the first ascent and had often dossed at the famous workmens' hut
under the Cromlech boulders.Quite a trek for a Geordie.
 lummox 10 Nov 2017
In reply to paul mitchell:

I was climbing yesterday with one of Pete's early climbing partners at school in the North East. He said it was obvious very quickly how naturally strong and talented he was.
 robate 10 Nov 2017
In reply to lummox:

sad to hear of it

met him a couple of times, first time at Bas Cuvier in '82, the first time I spent a day with a good boulderer. I said hello after watching him dyno straight through Charcuterie, just ace to watch, courteous and friendly with it.
 Ian Dunn 10 Nov 2017

I started climbing on the same climbing course with Pete, and I spent many great days with him and his parents in Northumberland and The Lakes and he visited me and climbed in the North Yorks Moors and Yorkshire Dales. We also had trad climbing trips to Scotland as teenagers and we climbed together for about 4 years as none of the local climbing clubs would alllow us to become members at 13 or 14 years old.
He was argumentative stubborn and would never admit defeat in an argument however he was a great friend kind and fun to be with. I have very found memories of our adventures together and I am sincerely pleased we shared our formative years in climbing together. RIP Pete you still have an influence in climbing today. Your boulder problems will always remain.
Mark Leach 11 Nov 2017

The funeral was very moving with many people in attendance. I remembered the happy times with Pete, although I shed a few tears. It was sad but a great privilege to be a pallbearer along with Jerry Moffatt, Steve Lewis and Nick Plishko. We were brothers in arms carrying a legendary brother who will never be forgotten. RIP Pete. In my humble opinion what a Great Article, which sums up our great friend Pete. You will be missed my friend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...