UKC

SE Yorkire/Nottinghamshire Magnesium Limestone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Gresty 10 Nov 2017
There has been talk about a guide being produced to the Magnesium Limestone of SE Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire, has anything come to fruition regarding that guide.

As I was in the area yesterday I went and had a potter round Hollinghill and Markland Grips near Clowne as I had seen that had been some bouldering done in that neck of the woods. Plenty of bits of rock, lots of vegetation, but no sign of any significant activity.

I believe that Pleasley may be included in the new Peak Limestone South guide, but there appears to quite a few other little spots that have been climbed on in that area that could do with recording in a cover-all sort of document rather than scratching around on the internet for details

John

DerwentDiluted 10 Nov 2017
In reply to John Gresty:

I would agree that there is some scope for coverage, I suggested a while back on a thread about wishlist guidebooks that there is a gap in coverage for a whole slew of England from the Went Valley, through Sprotborough, Anston Stones, Pleasley, Leicestershire, down to the Malverns and Shropshire. Such a guide would be a labour of love, and probably commercial suicide as most crags would have access issues, but I'd love to see it.
 webbo 10 Nov 2017
In reply to John Gresty:
Contact Lee at Betaguides, he is doing one. He did the Anston guide and the North York moors one.

Tom Valentine 10 Nov 2017
In reply to John Gresty:

I'm no scientist but I always thought it was "magnesian".....

In reply to Tom Valentine:

That sent me down an interesting rabbit hole...
 ebdon 10 Nov 2017
Well I am a scientist, who does some work with the magnesian limestone! and can confirm thats right, not quite sure as to the entomology
If youre down with the kids you refer to it as the 'mag lime'
 Offwidth 10 Nov 2017

Both versions are acceptable and Pleasley is just in Derbyshire..... now we have done with being pedants can we get back to the subject at hand? I don't think a paper guide is comercially viable (but would buy and support one)... one of the reasons I was pleased Pleasley was agreed to go in Limestone South after the Peak area vote last year.
 phleppy 10 Nov 2017
In reply to John Gresty:

There is a guide being put together but at the moment I don't know how far along it is, last I seen all the venues had been written up but maybe they needed some final adjustments or something, agreed with the other poster that you should reach out to Lee but I'm not sure if you'll get a reply, you might though.
As to Hollinhill, much of the land surrounding the main wall is private and there's quite a lot of loose rock around, the main wall is excellent though and there are also problems on the boulder just off the approach and another wall to the east. As I remember there's plenty of poison ivy dangling about and very little in the lower grades.
 Alex Pryor 10 Nov 2017
In reply to ebdon: ,
Entomology is the study of insects. I think you mean etymology.

(Sorry Offwidth but couldn't resist continuing the pedantry.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...