/ Looking for lift to Manchester from Northwich(Cheshire)

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
L Eflete - on 11 Nov 2017
I'm a beginner looking to get into bouldering at Manchester Depot (or any other good bouldering place tbh) but I don't drive.
Public transport takes 2.5 hours, taxi costs £50-60, too far to walk/bike, and I can't find any place closer.
So, I'm looking to see if anyone is interested in coming too, who could give me a lift. I'd be more than happy to contribute petrol money.
I'm planning on going once a week, on Friday nights at about 7.00pm, but I'm open to other times, so long as I'm not working.
pec on 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Eflete:

If its of any use to you, you can get a bus from Northwich to Warrington in under an hour
https://www.networkwarrington.co.uk/assets/library/original/pdf/6/timetable-45-46-september-2017-web...

The North West Face Wall is about 5 mins walk from Warrington Interchange.
In reply to pec:

Unfortunately those buses don't run late enough for me, as the earliest I can leave is around 7.00pm, and I can only do weekday evenings.
But thank you anyway!
zmv - on 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Eflete:
How about a train to Manchester Picadilly and then from there you could walk to Rockover which is a very good bouldering centre as well? (15 min, 20 min walk) or a 10 min cycle if you take your bike on the train.

Manchester climbing centre is 10 minutes cycle in the other direction however if bouldering is what you are after, go to Rockover.
Edit: Just seen that you can do only weekdays after 7pm. Tricky with timings!
Post edited at 10:57
pec on 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Eflete:

Another thought, not much use during winter evenings but worth bearing in mind, where the railway viaduct crosses London Road near the Salt Museum, there is some bouldering potential on the stone viaduct columns on the Vickers Way Park side near the River Dane.
I've seen people bouldering there and its often chalked up.
In reply to zmv:

I think this would be possible actually! I could probably get there an hour or so before it closes, and the trains run till past midnight on a Friday.

However, on their prices section of the website, it says 'for experienced climbers only'. As someone who has literally been twice and struggles with the easiest difficulties, would they let me climb?
zmv - on 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Eflete:
Hi, yes, I think if you have just bouldered before at a wall, you would be aware of the safety bits, which are quite straightforward at a bouldering wall (avoid jumping from the top and downclimb a couple of moves, be aware of those below etc).

I often climb there on Fridays. Drop me a message if you'd like somebody to show you some of the problems or if you feel require somebody to sign you in.

Oh, and, very impressive motivation! Not many people would go through this much travel on a Friday to climb. Excellent!
Post edited at 11:19
In reply to zmv:

> I often climb there on Fridays. Drop me a message if you'd like somebody to show you some of the problems or if you feel require somebody to sign you in.

That would be seriously amazing, if you have any time spare, thank you. It's always less nerve racking to go to a new place with someone else, haha.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.