/ Who makes Cams with three sizes on one?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
JonWoolacott - on 11 Nov 2017
Hi Guys,
Whilst climbing in chamonix this year I climbed with a guy who was using a cam that had three different sizes in one. Depending on how far you pull back the lever selected the size love to use. I loved the versatility of these cams but for the life of me can’t remember the brand or model of the cams and after extensive google searches I’m still none the wiser. Does anyone on here use or know the make and model details of these cams?
Thanks
Stefan Jacobsen - on 11 Nov 2017
In reply to JonWoolacott:

Omega Pacific Link Cam
JonWoolacott - on 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

That’s the ones. Thank you.
johncook - on 11 Nov 2017

Omega Pacific Link. But be very careful, they have a very nasty habit of getting very very stuck, no matter how carefully you place them. I have spent hours retrieving stuck ones for friends. (Being a Yorkshireman I wouldn't buy one and at that price people prefer to destroy them rather than leave them as crag swag, so have never found one I could keep!!)
In reply to johncook:

I always thought the logic of the Omega Pacific Cam was tainted by the fact that whilst they have double the range they also weighed twice as much. I'm not sure about you, but I'm much rather two pieces of protection!
Jack B on 11 Nov 2017

Also be careful to place them with the stem pointing along the direction of pull (as it says in the instructions). They are less tolerant of off-axis loads than normal cams, and there have been some failures.
gethin_allen on 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I always thought they'd be better, lighter, less likely to get, stuck, cheaper, if they only had 2 sets of lobes rather than 3. Less range admittedly but on the whole better.
planetmarshall on 11 Nov 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

> I always thought they'd be better, lighter, less likely to get, stuck, cheaper, if they only had 2 sets of lobes rather than 3.

It always struck me as a design created for the sake of creating something innovative that can be patented, rather than genuinely coming up with something useful. So many moving parts just seems like asking for trouble.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.