UKC

Jacket for life?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Charliesmum 11 Nov 2017

Hello! I’m looking for a waterproof winter jacket that will last a very long time. I don’t want it too puffy - I want to layer under it - but I want a good quality that won’t leak in a day of walking welsh hills in the rain. Must let me move for some scrambling but I’m not climbing. I hate getting wet!

I want this to last for years so I must be able to patch it and reproof it.

I’ve read reviews but as they are of new jackets o don’t know about how they last. I need one that will take abuse and last!
Post edited at 19:07
 JRJG 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:

Get your hands on an ol' waxed cotton Barbour. Should get twenty years out of that. Just steer clear of barbed wire (their only weakness).

JRJG
 Scott K 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:
Paramo if it suits you. Last for years and can be sewn, patched etc with no loss of function.
 bouldery bits 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Scott K:
Paramo

Or look into buffalo.

Membrane based jackets do not last for ever.
If you're dead set on a real waterproof membraned, jacket get arcteryx or patagucci.
Post edited at 09:33
 Dave the Rave 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:

Double ventile. Google hilltrek or firemore.
baron 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:
You can't be a proper climber until you have too many jackets to count!
In reply to Charliesmum:
+1 for Paramo jackets/smocks. Not everyone’s choice but takes a lot of beating for longevity - my oldest (around 20 yrs old) fully functioning jacket is paramo. Easy to repair and takes so much abuse.

Style and fit sometimes questionable, can be warm/hot in use, and not as waterproof as laminated jackets in all practical uses (can act as bi directional in certain circumstances) but Paramo will always be my go to jacket for all round general use.

I do use laminated jackets for some things, but they have to treated with more respect and have shorter life.
 Trangia 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:

+1 for Paramo
Charliesmum 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

It looks like paramo is winning! I was afraid I would be told to only get an arcteryx and I can’t sell a kidney at the moment...
Thanks guys.
 artif 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:

Ventile, I have paramo, but Ventile is better.
 druridge 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:

I've used a Paramo jacket for years without a problem. Lots of winter hill days working as a bird surveyor. In the worst conditions I walked up wearing the Paramo, then put a Rab down jacket on underneath for the stop on the top (eg 6 hours, not very active). Wash and reproof as required. It still looks and performs like new.
 Pkrynicki1984 12 Nov 2017
In reply to JRJG:

Worst jacket I’ve ever owned by a country mile !
Jim C 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:

> Worst jacket I’ve ever owned by a country mile !

I took the Barbour post as a joke!
( I do have one though)
 Rob Parsons 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:

Not sure about those suggesting Ventile if you want a waterproof jacket for non-stop rain. (I've used Ventile jackets btw.) But neither do you need to consider the incredibly expensive designer label you mention.

I have a great rainjacket from 'Daleswear' that has stood up to serious punishment for more than ten years and is still going strong. Cost me about 50 quid. Unfortunately Daleswear is no longer trading - so that doesn't help; but your requirements will be satisfied by any well-made waterproof 'shell' jacket.

What do Welsh hill farmers wear?
 Goucho 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Scott K:
> Paramo if it suits you. Last for years and can be sewn, patched etc with no loss of function.

I thought the OP said he wanted a waterproof jacket

I've never understood the affection people have for Paramo - unless you want to look like an extra from Last of the Summer Wine.

And you can save yourself a lot of money and get exactly the same level of performance by using a bin liner and beating it vigorously with a meat tenderiser.

I borrowed one once - worst piece of gear I've ever had the misfortune to wear.
Post edited at 18:47
 blurty 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:

Any heavyweight Goretex jacket will last for a long long time. They can be patched & repaired.

Get propex Goretex fabric, they QA the finished product

(I've recently thrown away a Goretex Sprayway that I'd had for nearly 30 yrs)
 JRJG 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:

At least you got it, took the post with a pinch of salt
 jonnie3430 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

Would like to ask you when you last used one, but you've already said your experience is based on having borrowed one once. Maybe you should have another go, we can't all be making it up.

To the OP: Getting the right paramo is another thing, I have an aspira smock and a Quito jacket, the former I use for winter climbing as it's too warm, the latter for everything else, it's weakness is durability in winter climbing, when everything would suffer except the aspira. Paramo have released new models since I bought the Quito, so would suggest a long search to find the one that best suits your needs.
 Pkrynicki1984 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Oh right . No offence meant.

I can imagine they are hard wearing etc, I just found my the most un-breathable thing ever....and you can't really wash them (even when arriving home drunk with pizza down the front and deciding to chuck it in the washing machine)
Had to have it waxed by Barbour ....they do look nice mind.

Mine got nicked from a pub eventually!
 artif 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:

Re- Ventile
https://welldresseddad.com/2017/05/20/ventile-the-ugly-facts-they-dont-tell...

I still prefer it though.

p.s. If you really hate getting wet, it might be worth looking at moving further south
Charliesmum 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:

I did something nuts and put 70 quid on a Narrona jacket on eBay - only been worn like twice - so I thought I’d add a paramo adventure smock to that and keep the membrane one for when thats handy. I’m assuming it will need coddling.

I did some paramo research and decided against their lightweight stuff cos it doesn’t look hard wearing enough. I think I’ll go for an adventure smock? Seems like the best cut for me.

Also seems like paramo is what I’m after but that there is a learning curve and that there are times where the system fails.

It reminded me of my favourite trousers by Fjällräven - love their versatility but you waterproof them yourself with wax and there is a learning curve.
rackandruin 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:
May be worth a shot for you ...?
If you're a size Large I have a Paramo Velez Adventure Smock for sale (Full weight material not the lightweight version) its in light blue (reef blue I think ) Fixed wired hood. Its been very lightly used and has no marks cuts or abrasions on it I just no longer need it as I have way too much stuff. Im after £80 includes recorded P+P to you.
Let me know if interested

http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-eu/explore-range/product/?pk=FC813B8B-9EC...
Post edited at 17:59
Charliesmum 13 Nov 2017
In reply to rackandruin:

I’m a small - medium women’s I think? so probably wouldn’t work but thanks! Im quite thin but I need room for layering and I’m tall but I have muscular arms so sometimes need a size up? Or maybe a small mans... Basically I’m going to try and try one on sometimes...
rackandruin 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum: Sorry, your profile name didn't dawn on me - Duh !

Goucho 13 Nov 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Would like to ask you when you last used one, but you've already said your experience is based on having borrowed one once. Maybe you should have another go, we can't all be making it up.

That one time was enough.

Of course it's all down to personal preference, but as I'm not someone who produces my own body weight in sweat within four yards of leaving the car, I prefer waterproof gear that actually is.

sjminfife 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:

My kids both have Keela Munro jackets and they love them. May be a bit warm for you if you want to layer.
http://www.keela.co.uk/ladies-munro-jacket.html#product_tabs_additional_tab...

As i live nearby I get then in the seconds/sale.

Cheers
Steve
In reply to Goucho:

> I thought the OP said he wanted a waterproof jacket

I'm guessing 'Charliesmum' might not be 'he'...
 Thrudge 15 Nov 2017
I've got a Ventile jacket. Haven't had chance to try it in the rain yet, but I'm not expecting to stay dry very long when I do. Damp, perhaps. And as for the guff from retailers about Ventile being breathable, this is rubbish. It isn't, unless you're comparing it to a bin liner.

It is, however, a very good jacket in the right environment, i.e dry and cold. It's windproof, very comfortable, and tough as old boots. I can see it lasting a decade or more quite easily.

jonnie3430 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

> That one time was enough.

> Of course it's all down to personal preference, but as I'm not someone who produces my own body weight in sweat within four yards of leaving the car, I prefer waterproof gear that actually is.

Sounds like you're making mistaken assumptions about the kit. I'd be a bit more open minded, but we're all different.
 Goucho 15 Nov 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:
> Sounds like you're making mistaken assumptions about the kit. I'd be a bit more open minded, but we're all different.

No assumptions, purely a personal opinion based on wearing one (which was only about 4 months old) for about 10 hours in inclement weather on Ben Nevis, during which time it proved itself to be shite on every level
Post edited at 13:18
Charliesmum 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Charliesmum:

So I bought a mans paramo small helki jacket. I am very pleased with it so far but haven’t had a proper long term soaking. I am keeping all receipts and will follow up if it doesn’t work.

I look like I’ve stolen my boyfriends jacket but i like the fit - the woman’s either were too tight on the shoulders and arms or flappy around waist and hips. (I’m tall but slim with fairly muscular shoulders and arms - but I’m not serena Williams I would have thought?)

Anyway we’ll see how it goes../

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...