UKC

Decathlon ski boots- good or bad value.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 didntcomelast 12 Nov 2017
A a relative newbie to skiing (two, week long holidays so far, another coming up in February) I have just purchased a pair of Wedze ski boots from Decathlon. At £70 for a very comfortable boot Im happy with the purchase, or at least I was happy until I started reading some of the ski forums which tend to paint Decathlon's own brand of ski gear as very poor quality. Now I have no intention of returning said boots, as they fit really well, but I'm interested in opinion from others who may have purchased Decathlon ski boots as to whether they have pleased or disappointed in use.
I dont intend to ski more than one week every couple of years so paying mega bucks for kit isn't an option.
 earlsdonwhu 12 Nov 2017
In reply to didntcomelast:

It is probably good value but whether there was a skilled member of staff who could give you sensible advice or ensure a good fit, is another matter.
baron 12 Nov 2017

I've bought ski boots from Decathlon for quite a few years. I try on a few pairs and pick the comfiest.
They're good quality and last as long as any others.
You should have no problem with them although some will insist that only boots fitted by an 'expert' should be worn.
If they're comfortable then that's good but again some will say that they'll be too loose later on, a bit like the climbing boots argument.
Enjoy your skiing
 kevin stephens 12 Nov 2017
In reply to didntcomelast: as you are a newbie to skiing and they are comfortable they sound excellent value. As your skiing progresses you will find you need better and closer fitting boots to be able to more effectively transfer subtle balance shifts and movement of your feet and ankles etc to the corresponding edges and surfaces of your skis. The money you have saved on boots is best spent on lessons. After you have improved it will then be worth investing in expert fitted boots, and also foot beds

OP didntcomelast 12 Nov 2017
In reply to baron:

Many thanks for the reassurance. For the amount of use they will get I suspect they will see a few years use before I need to replace them with something a little more technical/expensive.
In reply to kevin stephens:
My thoughts exactly. As for footbeds, have them already or rather prescribed orthotics which do fit the boots well and add to the comfort.
a good way to check size is to stand in the shells without the liners with your toes touching the front. There should be no more than 20mm (10mm for more advanced performance) clearance between your heel and that of the boot, any more and the liners are more likely to pack out after a few days of skiing making to boots too sloppy. Over tightening the buckles to try and compensate will just hurt
Post edited at 11:33

Thanks for the tip.
 Webster 12 Nov 2017

People get pretty snobby about ski gear, as they do with most things, but just ignore them! I have never skiid in wedze boots (but I do have some wedze snowboard bindings which are great value) but I expect like most things decathlon they are excellent value. sure they wont be as good as a £400 pair, but they are probably better than most £150 pairs. from the use you describe there is no need for the real top end kit.

And besides, you don't need top end kit to ski top end stuff. I have skiid for over 20 years and until last season have only ever had beginner/intermediate boots picked up in a French intersport (unfitted). despite that I am an expert skier and have raced slalom and GS and am a very good all mountain skier.
In reply to Webster:

Here’s hoping they do the business on my next holiday then. Though I won’t be doing any racing in them. Red runs are good enough for me.
baron 12 Nov 2017

People spend a fortune on boots, fitting and foot beds.
That's their choice and good luck to them.
I ski three weeks each year and I love how comfortable my decathlon boots are. I've had my present pair for 5 years. When my skiing style goes wrong it's not my boots fault.
My friends like to tell me how much they've spent on their boots. I'd rather spend the money on beer.
In reply to baron:

A lot depends on how standard or awkward your feet and ankles are. Mine are a mess; very over pronated and one ankle smashed and rebuilt after a climbing accident. My skiing has benefited greatly from custom fitted boots, foot-beds and aggressive heel lifts etc to correct for these issues. Most ski boots are made for variations on standard feet, if you feet match the template then you are lucky
 Jim 1003 12 Nov 2017
Decathlon sell good ski boots and cheap ski boots, but the good things is their website is excellent and tells you if the boot is for narrow, medium or wide feet. It also tells you about flex. A lot of the Decathlon staff are quite knowledgable , but I don't get the need for a boot fitter. The thing to remember about Decathlon is that they let you take the boots back even if you use them. Nobody else does that. There is a lot of rubbish on ski forums about Decathlon, mainly from interested parties who seem to haunt those sites.
Post edited at 17:57
baron 12 Nov 2017

For those with foot issues all of your points are very important.
 kipman725 13 Nov 2017

I have skied black runs without a problem in decathlons cheapest ski boots. I also have scarpa denalis (an old touring boot that was considered to for the time have good ski perfromance) and they ski much better than those.
 tjin 13 Nov 2017
Riding on Wed'ze boots for 2 years, no issues there. Advise from the staff can be lacking, but have had bad experience with expensive stores too...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...