/ RussBots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Shani - on 13 Nov 2017

Anyone else following J.JPatrick's exemplary work unravelling Russian social media 'bots' fomenting division over Trump, Brexit, Catalonia etc....?

We are all being played. Here is a taster: https://www.byline.com/column/67/article/1936
Post edited at 09:45
wercat on 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Shani:
I've been trying to tell people ...

do you think there are any here?
Post edited at 09:37
wercat on 13 Nov 2017
Big Ger - on 13 Nov 2017
In reply to wercat:

> do you think there are any here?

I'm one.

Bob Kemp - on 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> I'm one.

We know. How's things at 55 Savushkina Street?

( https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/02/putin-kremlin-inside-russian-troll-house )
Dauphin on 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Shani:

We are all being played.

More than our own propaganda machines...yeah sure whatever, the russkys did it.

D

Big Ger - on 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> We know. How's things at 55 Savushkina Street?

Cold.

wercat on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Bob Kemp:

you don't think GRU?
wercat on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
I had you as an intruder since you appeared

do you do numbers?
Post edited at 08:28
wintertree - on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to wercat:

> do you think there are any here?

I do not think so.

There are some appallingly incoherent posters on here and no shortage of divisive squabbling, but I’ve never seen a juxtaposition of (a) the use of language and grammar indicative of native Russian speakers trained in English and (b) divisive political trolling.
Dave Garnett - on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Shani:

> Anyone else following J.JPatrick's exemplary work unravelling Russian social media 'bots' fomenting division over Trump, Brexit, Catalonia etc....?

You've got this all wrong. Donald J Trump is never wrong about people and has great personal chemistry with Putin -
who was hurt and offended by very suggestion. He assures us Russia has nothing to do with any of it and what possible reason could he have for lying?

wercat on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

perhaps he'll invite Trump to a picnic with his boy scouts camping in Ukraine. We've got friendly troops training Ukraine soldiers who are facing a shooting enemy, Putin's proxies and own troops. We have troops facing across the Estonian border into Russia, and there may be some bullets handed out too.

Why would there not be a huge information war going on at all levels?

Please Wake Up UK! King Arthur's not going to wake up and help, you need to, and get a grip.
(Not you, obviously )
Dave Garnett - on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to wercat:

> Please Wake Up UK! King Arthur's not going to wake up and help, you need to, and get a grip.

Sorry, we're a bit busy taking back control.

wercat on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I love May's Irony as the deliverer of Brexit:

"We know what you are doing and you will not succeed. Because you underestimate the resilience of our democracies, the enduring attraction of free and open societies and the commitment of Western nations to the ALLIANCES THAT BIND US"

Should the Minister for Exiting the EU be renamed Minister for furthering Russia's interests against the West?
nufkin - on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to wercat:

> "We know what you are doing and you will not succeed"

In olden time we did it right back to them. Presumably MI6 are on top of this, swamping Russian Facebook pages with trivial nonsense
Shani - on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to nufkin:
I genuinely think we've been caught napping. The government is largely IT illiterate - Shapps was their IT genius. 'Nuff said. Russia's social media reach is socially sophisticated and deeply embedded.

One of the tragedies of austerity was the cuts to the BBC coupled with a the introduction of 'managerialism'. The BBC gave Britain fantastic soft power, and a global reach. We still do it well (eg Blue Planet), but that factual and political trust and, general high content-standard seems to me to have been diminished of late.
Post edited at 20:29
Big Ger - on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to wercat:

> I had you as an intruder since you appeared

> do you do numbers?

43 though to 43576
Tanke - on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Shani:
I look at first one in the link you put and it has not anything on the Russia and it is more of lies large war of lies from liberals like Clinton against Russia for losing of American elections. They start war on the Russia from 2014 and much the earlier times use many ways.None are more worse than support of Ukrainia fascist to kill to overwhelm government and start war of Russian peoples of brother in Ukrainia.

Economic war acted by EU an USA governments on Russia to make weak as independent Russia they must attack and not happy or in expected joy of developments in Syria as USA want their vassel in place which went wrong and much investment by USA and Britian to finance terrorists to facilitate next nation they attack illegal.

What are Americans and British do in Syria they illegal presence and break international law.

Where is'blame Russia' button on computer? Thinking you that American CIA and British don't have large army of working troll?You want pretend to be such niave?
Post edited at 23:00
Tanke - on 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Shani:
West media has gone more to the total totalitarianism now.
https://sputniknews.com/columnists/201711131059053922-rt-sputnik-russia-demonization/

Very good article for read of people.
Post edited at 22:54
wercat on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Shani:
Our highly reactive news-greed BBC that always chooses the most emotive headline to wake us up with or scream from the painted screen has become soft power that can, unbeknown to the newly innocent management and editorial layers, become an agent of power reporting any news stories that a foreign power cares to generate.

It has become an infection point for social virus information exploitable by the enemy.

Just shout "SexCrime 1984" and it'll disable normal news output while the emotionally driven and seeking Beeb springs into action. Perhaps Twitter and the new media are digital analogues for hormones in society, causing highly responsive shifts - are we seen emergent behaviour as a result - a kind of digital consciousness that has started to take on a life that actually influences us while we become processing cells as part of it?
Post edited at 09:05
wercat on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Tanke:

Do you like a good argument with beer?
Postmanpat on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Tanke:
I preferred the old Bruce Hooker Russbot. He was much funnier. Can you arrange a reconnection?
Post edited at 09:09
Shani - on 15 Nov 2017
captain paranoia - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to wercat:

> Just shout "SexCrime 1984" and it'll disable normal news output

I'm not convinced there is any 'normal news output' any more; it just lurches from one social media outrage to the next.

I heard about the Zimbabwe situation here before I heard about in on the BBC...
Pete Pozman - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Tanke:

Absolutely brilliant! You should be paid for that!

> I look at first one in the link you put and it has not anything on the Russia and it is more of lies large war of lies from liberals like Clinton against Russia for losing of American elections. They start war on the Russia from 2014 and much the earlier times use many ways.None are more worse than support of Ukrainia fascist to kill to overwhelm government and start war of Russian peoples of brother in Ukrainia.

> Economic war acted by EU an USA governments on Russia to make weak as independent Russia they must attack and not happy or in expected joy of developments in Syria as USA want their vassel in place which went wrong and much investment by USA and Britian to finance terrorists to facilitate next nation they attack illegal.

> What are Americans and British do in Syria they illegal presence and break international law.

> Where is'blame Russia' button on computer? Thinking you that American CIA and British don't have large army of working troll?You want pretend to be such niave?

MG - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Absolutely brilliant! You should be paid for that!

You think he isn’t?
jkarran - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to wercat:

> "We know what you are doing and you will not succeed. Because you underestimate the resilience of our democracies, the enduring attraction of free and open societies and the commitment of Western nations to the ALLIANCES THAT BIND US"

She needs to sack her speech writer, I almost died laughing when I heard that come out. Sublimely ridiculous.
Jk

jkarran - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to nufkin:

I'd like to think gchq has a department for subversive pet pictures.
Jk
captain paranoia - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to jkarran:

Project 'I can haz cheezeburger.'...?
Pete Pozman - on 16 Nov 2017
In reply to MG:

> You think he isn’t?

Just to be sure, I think he's having a brilliant laugh.
wintertree - on 16 Nov 2017
In reply to wintertree:

> I do not think so.

> There are some appallingly incoherent posters on here and no shortage of divisive squabbling, but I’ve never seen a juxtaposition of (a) the use of language and grammar indicative of native Russian speakers trained in English and (b) divisive political trolling.

I take that back, I think one has landed.
wercat on 16 Nov 2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.