UKC

Stupid Question: Mixed Touring Bindings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robin Woodward 13 Nov 2017
OK, so I'm fairly sure I know the answer to this, but just in case, here goes!

So, I'm looking into getting my first ski touring setup. I've got odd sized feet (UK 8 and UK 6.5) which I think are doable using liner and boot adaptions, but I also have different length legs (say 3 cm or 1" diff). This seems to make a noticeable difference skiing, in that I can turn much easier towards the short leg that the long leg. This is also an issue traversing slopes which go the wrong way for me.

I'm probably going to look into some building up inside the short leg (small foot) boot, but I was wondering whether it'd be possible for me to use one tech binding (on the longer leg) and one frame binding (on the shorter leg) to make up some of the difference?

Uphill the leg lengths aren't really an issue normally as you have one leg constantly lower or higher than the other anyway, but I'm not sure if this will introduce an issue to uphill or not (due to differing pivot points).

I doubt many people have tried this (I mean why would you!), but thought I'd see if anyone had strong (or weak) views on it.

Thanks,

Robin
 HeMa 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Robin Woodward:

Instead of mixing binders, I would think of using a proper shim between the binder and the ski... not 3cm mind, but a a bit to even out the difference.

Problem being, that no matter how you change the binder dinstance from the edges, the ski will behave differently.
In reply to HeMa:
Ah, this seems like an eminently sensible solution! I was hoping my stupid question might prompt a wiser answer.

I'll look into this. I guess I'd maybe need to get longer binding screws from somewhere or intermediary screws so it goes binding-->shim, shim --> skit.

The only pair of built up shoes I have are built up about 1-1.5 cm (although they slope down from max at the heel to no build up at the front), so I'll look into that for a potential reference point.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Post edited at 14:19
 kevin stephens 13 Nov 2017
As you say building up the inside of the boot for the small foot to take up as much of the difference as possible is the way to start, this also may reduce the difference in boot sizes that you will need (if any if you are lucky) Then shims between binding and ski if needed. Definitely do not mix binding types on one pair of skis.

You really need to go to an expert boot fitter to get the best solution. It may cost a bit but will be cheaper in the long run.

If you register and post here you may get some useful advice
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Good luck!
Post edited at 17:30
 HammondR 13 Nov 2017
Good advice above. For a boot fitter, I strongly recommend your first port of call be Colin at Solutions for Feet in Bicester. He is very highly regarded and (in my experience) quite rightly so. If I am not very much mistaken he is a qualified podiatrist to boot - no pun intended. You may however struggle to get an appointment with him before your intended trip as this is now peak boot buying time.

Colin also occasionally works with a chap called Andy Macan who is the sole uk licensee of a device which gauges whether you need shims/wedges to ensure that your skis run flat and that your fore and aft balance is optimised. You sound like someone who might particularly benefit from this.

Good luck

Once you are sorted boot wise, you may want to make your next port of call Jon Coster at the Piste Office in Lambley near Nottingham. Jon is the major supplier and fitter of Dynafit bindings in the uk, and is highly experienced in dealing with requests for shims and whatnot special requirements.
In reply to HammondR:

Yeah, Solutions4feet was my first port of call, but sadly they will only fit boots bought with them this season as they're short staffed, and I think I'm going to have to go for the Scott Cosmos (or Superguide/Orbit) boot as as well as odd feet, they are also very wide (which sadly means a deep footbed is probably out of the question). Solutions4feet seem to only have the Cosmos II in stock, which is known to have a few not-quite-sorted manufacturing defects which seem to have been fully ironed out on the Cosmos III. Therefore I'm looking at getting boots/fitting at either snowtrax (not sure how good they are - have seen mixed reviews) or Backcountry UK (a long way from Bath!) as they both stock the newer version, but still weighing up my options.

Don't worry, with feet like mine, I'm very used to having to get expert advice, and often travel for it!
 kevin stephens 13 Nov 2017
If you need to travel also give Rivington Alpine near Bolton a call, they are highly regarded boot fitters and have been very good for me
 Oo 13 Nov 2017

If i were in your position, I'd be tempted to buy some bargain basement skis and bindings (so secondhand )and have a go bodging some things together and having a play to see what it felt like before committing a large sum of money and then drilling holes in it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...