/ John Redwood

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Yanis Nayu - on 13 Nov 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/13/labour-accuses-john-redwood-of-talking-britain-down

Apparently Brexit is a great idea, except when it comes to your own self-interest and those of your clients.

Amusing that Brexit was sold in part as an improvement in democracy.
John2 - on 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

So if he thought UK stocks were not the best to buy, he should advise his readers (not his clients) to buy UK stocks?
wercat on 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
disrupt and exploit

after laying down smoke, strength and stability to hide your movements
Post edited at 19:33
RomTheBear on 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Not sure how you can be a MP and a chief strategist at a fund, seems to me there is an obvious conflict of interest.
But hey, doesn’t surprise me one bit.
Post edited at 19:37
Pedro50 on 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

One of the original swivelled eyed loons in a stripey blazer if I recall correctly.
BnB - on 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I'm not a fan of John Redwood but the columns quoted smack rather of manufactured outrage. My advisors have been giving much the same steer and they aren't blaming Brexit either. His investment advice reads less like a damning of the UK economy and more like thinly veiled criticism of Philip Hammond and Mark Carney. In fact he acknowledges the stellar performance of UK equities in recent times but points out, as his investment followers would expect him to do, that the time always comes to make your money work elsewhere. How Coppola inflates this to the charge of disaster capitalism is beyond reason.

That said, I still find Redwood distasteful.
Postmanpat on 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Graniad sinking to DM levels. Read the article. It is quite clear that his rationale is based primarily on the BOE's tightening of policy. Fake news.....
Trevers - on 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:
> Graniad sinking to DM levels. Read the article. It is quite clear that his rationale is based primarily on the BOE's tightening of policy. Fake news.....

I agree with you that this particular piece is a bit of manufactured outrage. However, I do wonder how Charles Stanley justify paying his enormous salary for what I think amounts to 300 hours work per year. It is much easier to run a dummy portfolio, without holdings and the attendant risk to the "investor", and make a healthy profit. I wonder how many CS employees voted for Brexit. My guess is not many.

I do have a soft spot for Redwood, however. He's a window into the workings of the minds of the Tory backbench Brexiteers. The characteristic simplicity and lack of nuance or understanding in his arguments make it clear that to many of them, Brexit boils down to little more than petty nationalism. He's like the pantomime villain that you love to hate, and I don't know what I'd do without him. He makes opposing Brexit fun.

Of course, on absolutely no account should he ever be taken seriously. If there's any risk of that occurring, then this gem of a video should be trotted out immediately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzBq0n8dxFQ

I'd also hesitate to suggest that the Grauniad has stooped to Daily Mail standards. Yes it may be clickbaity, but which paper hasn't published some of that occasionally? I try to read Guardian headlines with a pinch of salt, but they've yet to go full-Goebbels, so that's definitely an improvement
Post edited at 01:33
eroica64 - on 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Mis-read this as John Redhead and was very confused until I realised it was Redwood - duh!
Nordie_matt - on 16 Nov 2017
In reply to eroica64:

Same here!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.