UKC

Jurassic Coast 100 mile /100km / 50km

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshireman 14 Nov 2017
Anyone done any of the Climb South West events? I've just signed up for the Jurassic Coast 100 miler next June - I didn't get into the 90km du Mont Blanc so needed another Spring ultra. I've never done 100 miles yet, saw this had UTMB points, and its close to friends and family so we're going to tie it into a holiday as well.

https://www.climbsouthwest.com/events/jurassic-coast-100/

Its a bit vague on details but I assume the route is more or less the coastal path, similar to races like The Oner. Not sure what the overall elevation profile will be but I'm pretty sure its going to spiky as opposed to the long, sustained climbs that I'm used to.
 plyometrics 14 Nov 2017
In reply to yorkshireman:

Can’t help on the Jurassic Coast Race I’m afraid, but I didn’t get a 90km place either; like many others it seems.

Gutted, was quite looking forward to that, particularly as my wife got a place in the half!

Best of luck with the 100 miler, you’ll be fine I’m sure.
 Wimlands 14 Nov 2017
http://www.thisisyourkingdom.co.uk/article/st-aldhelms-head-purbecks/
The steps down, and up, the dry valley at st aldhelms will be good...luckily near the start.
OP yorkshireman 14 Nov 2017
In reply to plyometrics:

> Can’t help on the Jurassic Coast Race I’m afraid, but I didn’t get a 90km place either; like many others it seems.

> Gutted, was quite looking forward to that, particularly as my wife got a place in the half!

I ran the 90km du Mont Blanc this June but DNF'd after 70km so wanted to go back and finish the job. It is (as you would expect) brutally steep but definitely worth it. Your wife will love the half, the whole long weekend is a great event.
OP yorkshireman 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Wimlands:

> The steps down, and up, the dry valley at st aldhelms will be good...luckily near the start.

I think I have experience. One of my first ever trail runs (and probably what got me hooked) was the 'The Beast' at Corfe Castle and along the coast maybe 8 or 9 years ago. I think it was only a half marathon or so but it was pretty tough.
 richprideaux 14 Nov 2017

As far as I can tell it's pretty much the same route as The Oner (which I organised one year) but with maybe some minor diversions for CPs? There isn't a great deal of choice in footpaths along the coastal bit and it's only around Portland and Swanage where you can have a bit of confusion in footpaths

Either way, it's a brutal route with lots of ascent.
 Derry 14 Nov 2017
I did the Jurassic coast challenge this year, and entered the oner for next year as I live locally and know the area fairly well. Plenty of steep uphills and downhills that reduce you (or me at least) to a walk, but the thing that really got me was the paved sections. Trail running shoes were b*stards going along Weymouth seafront. Good luck though. 100 miles is some effort!!! What's the time cutoff for it?

Edit: just clicked the link and saw its 36 hours.... And much cheaper than the Oner
Post edited at 20:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...