UKC

Akto v Southern Cross

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Steve4395 15 Nov 2017
Hi.......

I’m in the market for a reliable lightweight 3 to 4 season tent. I have a laser competition for summer trips but it’s way to flimsy for anything else.
I’m drawn to to Hilleberg Akto or TN Southerncross 1.
Does anyone have first hand experience of these? Or an alternative suggestion.

Thanks for any help offered......

Steve
Removed User 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Steve4395:

cannot speak about Southerncross but do have an Akto, which is a brilliant piece of kit, well up to 4 season useage.
Steve4395 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

Thank you, I know all small tents can suffer a bit of condensation but is the Akto particularly bad?
I’ve heard mixed messages on this.
 UKH Forums 15 Nov 2017
This thread was started in the HILLTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!
More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 girlymonkey 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Steve4395:

I have found the laser comp to withstand much more severe weather than you would think. I have replaced the 'pegs' with proper pegs, but other than that it is remarkably robust. I find if I don't want my laser out, I probably am not that keen on camping anyway and choose a bothy instead!
Of course, I do have a similar mentality to tent buying as I do to bike buying, which is that the ideal number is N+1, so you should probably get a new one anyway!! Don't have personal experience of any that you mention though!
Removed User 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Steve4395:

I had an Akto and it was probably a little worse than a Laser for condensation. However, take care with the venting and don't sweat too much and it is ok. Otherwise it is a superb tent, very quick and easy to pitch and withstands high winds better than anything else of similar weight that I've used.
cb294 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Steve4395:

The Akto is great, but not particularly lightweight. Helsport Ringstind Superlight?
CB
 Run_Ross_Run 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Steve4395:

Had an atko and got rid of it pretty quickly after.

Condensation was an issue irrespective of venting /pitching. For me (6ft) the inner shape/height was hopeless as both head and foot of sleeping bag would be soaked in the morning.

Removed User 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Steve4395:

Hi Steve,
given how compact the internal space is, condensation is an issue, but with careful venting it's manageable and certainly no worse than most others of similar type
 PaulW 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Steve4395:
Love my Akto, has stood up to severe conditions very well.

If I was pitching often on very soft surfaces, soft snow or beach perhaps, I would consider a geodesic alternative, it does take more effort to gat a stable pitch.
Post edited at 15:44
 OwenM 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Steve4395:
I was looking for one of these a while back but couldn't find anywhere that actually had one on stock. In the end I ordered a trekkertent Phreeranger, the only problem with them is their made to measure and take ages.
Post edited at 16:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...