UKC

What climb do you want to do one more time aged 94?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 15 Nov 2017

Inspired by 94 year old Marcel Remy, I was thinking, if I was still alive, which climb would I want to do one more time at this age?

To start off: I think the Cuillin Ridge or Salbit West Ridge, but that might be a bit much for a 94 year old, so failing this I would settle for Bloodlust Direct at Sheigra over a foaming sea. Or maybe the Old Man of Stoer or the Comici on the Tre Cime if I was still going strong.
And if I was weak, Agag's Groove.
Post edited at 15:01
 john arran 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

When I'm 94 I'd like to do the Old Man of Hoy again. By any route other than the normal route.
 Lemony 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

Russet Groove at Bowden. I must of climbed it 50 times and it makes me smile every time. It's not the biggest, the hardest or even the best but I love it and realistically at 94 I'll probably keep my ambitions in check.
OP Heike 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Lemony:

That's a good one, I would be happy with that one, too!!
 Michael Gordon 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

94?! Think I'll be very happy if I can walk to the crag.
 bouldery bits 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

The wave at Bonehill.
In reply to Heike:
Dream of White Horses. It was a big tick when I did it and despite my apprehension I enjoyed every minute of it - albeit in the middle of a rope of three.
On an aside note this is one of my favourite poems by Roger McGough.
http://www.oatridge.co.uk/poems/r/roger-mcgough-let-me-die-a-youngmans-deat...
I wonder if there is a climbers 6th verse here.
 Chris_Mellor 15 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

Matt Black at Lundy. Yessss!
 Pero 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

At 94 I'd be happy to manage the climb out of bed!

If I am still going strong then probably Tower Ridge.
In reply to Heike:

Um. Many very fit climbers deteriorate or are struck down rather suddenly in old age (by eg. Alzheimer's or cancer). 94 year old Marcel Remy is surely something of a global exception. I think even Agag's Groove would be very impressive for a 94 year old. And, frankly, you'd rejoice in whatever you could climb at that age.
 coldfell 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

Realistically, Little Chamonix at Shepherds, followed by tea and cake in the café at the bottom. Be good to catch up with this thread in 34 years time!
Dorine
 Phil1919 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

The Arrow, on a bright sunny day, with a heavy swell and an incoming tide.
OP Heike 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Oh yeah, I don't think I will still be able to climb at 94, but hey, you can dream big!!
OP Heike 16 Nov 2017
In reply to coldfell:

Oh yeah, that might be a nice one, if I can still manage that in in 46 years, never mind 34....
 Sean Kelly 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

I once watched a rope of three doing Terrier's Tooth the oldest at 84, and the youngest in the party was 82!
 mrphilipoldham 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

Zig-zag (VD)... and the walk in/out!
 olddirtydoggy 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

Cathedral Peak in Tuolumne.
 pwo 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:
Cemetery Gates,

Trangia 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

I'd be pleased to get up the stairs unassisted.....
In reply to pwo:

> Cemetery Gates,

... at the age of 94?? Wow! I wonder roughly what age the oldest ascensionist of the Gates and the Corner might be? I'd be pretty impressed if either of them had been done by anyone in their 80s. I imagine quite a few in their 70s might have done them.
Post edited at 21:36
 Robert Durran 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:
I'd toddle out to the Leaning Block at Reiff and do whatever three star route I felt up to. If it all went wrong, I've always thought I'd like my ashes scattered along the top of the Golden Wall anyway.
Post edited at 22:15
 alan moore 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

Hope.
 Rob Exile Ward 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

Christmas Curry, in the Autumn with the sun setting over the Morfa and the jackdaws cawing and curlews warbling. Where it all started for me.
 Deri Jones 17 Nov 2017

There was a S4C program with Eric Jones and Jeremy Trumper a couple of years ago cruising the Gates as a warm up to go and do the Devils Tower in Wyoming, both in their mid 70's and rocking up on Harleys:
https://steepedge.com/categories/climbing-films-movies/75-byth-rhy-hen-75-n...
 the sheep 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

Red Wall at Porth Clais was an absolutely lovely route in a beautiful spot and I climbed it on a wonderful summers afternoon. It was my first ever sea cliff too. Not a massive or famous route but one that stands out for me

Red Wall (S 4a)#photos

Greenbanks 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

Could this be a top-roped ascent? Or would the UKC euthansia squad be waiting for me as I finished the route?
In reply to Heike:

realistically getting to the crag would be an achievement,but then Troutdale Pinnacle on Black Crag,or Via Media . my first VS on Stanage of course
In reply to Heike:

I suppose I might just want to do something like North Buttress on Tryfan or Flying Buttress on the Cromlech, but the snag with both of those for someone of that age might well be the approach and descent. So might be better to opt for something like Brown Slabs Arete on Shepherds Crag ?
OP Heike 17 Nov 2017

Shepherds is not a bad choice! With a nice cup of tea and cake to celebrate!
In reply to Heike:

Yes. If Brown Slabs Arete went OK, one might even do Little Chamonix.
OP Heike 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I'd toddle out to the Leaning Block at Reiff and do whatever three star route I felt up to. If it all went wrong, I've always thought I'd like my ashes scattered along the top of the Golden Wall anyway.

Sounds good, I love Reiff! I was thinking getting my ashes scattered at the top of Shelterstone over the Loch Avon basin.
 French Erick 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I'd toddle out to the Leaning Block at Reiff and do whatever three star route I felt up to. If it all went wrong, I've always thought I'd like my ashes scattered along the top of the Golden Wall anyway.

I was thinking reiff too or something easy back at home in the Saint-Paul Valley, though all climbs there have a much more discriminatory approach =(
 Iain Peters 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Heike:

Having ticked the 50th and 51st of Right Angle in the last couple of years, with plans for 52nd next year, eh Mick and Bald Eagle, my sights are now on the 75th when I'll be a mere 93. Pub, easy walk in, reasonable climbing, easy walk out even with a zimmer and pub. Why ever not?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...