UKC

DWS Thailand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JRJG 15 Nov 2017
Good evening all;

I'm off to Thailand next week and plan on getting a couple of days (at least!) of Deep Water Solo climbing in.

Flying down to Krabi and finishing the fortnight in Phuket, looks to be plenty of spots for dws.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for someone's first time dws'ing?

Many thanks in advance

JRJG
 AdamShep 24 Nov 2017
In reply to JRJG:

I'm not sure if this is too late a reply! I recently went DWS in Vietnam and was told by an extremely respectable, well known and established climbing/outdoors company (Asia Outdoors), that DWS in Thailand has recently been outright banned, and they have not been able to run any trips there. If you are climbing with a company or local guides that say they have the correct licenses and it will be okay to DWS, then be very wary. Get some local advice. This was a few months ago, so I'm not sure if the ban has been lifted since.

*If* you do end up going, then my advice would be to just enjoy it, it is a bloody awesome and exhilarating experience! (Vietnam was my first time) Also, it feels higher than it looks, so start off low and work your way up to the higher routes. Try not to 'jump' off as you can easily over rotate and end up with a painful landing (witnessed a couple)- instead kind of gently push off in a controlled way.
OP JRJG 24 Nov 2017
In reply to AdamShep:

Ahhhh you're joking!
I am currently still in Bangkok so have yet to get down there and start asking around.
I will do some digging when I have Wi-fi and try and find some locals who know something about it.

I brought my harness and a couple of other bits, no rope or QD's though so I would have to hire those, or find a partner out there...

That has really taken the wind out of my sails. I'll have to find some bouldering...

Thanks very much for your reply nonetheless.

JRJG
 AdamShep 25 Nov 2017
In reply to JRJG:

Sorry about that mate! It's better you know though as the local company will probably tell you otherwise and offer to take you out, next thing you know you'll be paid a visit by the harbour police having to fork out your hard earned baht. But yes, have a research of your own, it might be worth talking to Asia Outdoors. They are responsible for developing a lot of the DWS in Asia so know their stuff.

Anyway there is a lot of good normal climbing in Thailand so you won't be short of routes! Get yourself to Tonsai beach
 PCD 25 Nov 2017
In reply to AdamShep:

get to tonsai and see if a company will take you out..you need the transport anyway. One of the best experiences of my life. Let the company take you out and let them talk to the police. Worth absolutely every effort..do not miss it if you can..repeat...DO NOT MISS IT! hAVE i emphasised this enough? Don't sit around when you get there as you might get the s**ts from food which knocks you back a few days..get booked on a day trip and JFDI
 PCD 25 Nov 2017
In reply to JRJG:

see reply to adam clicked wrong place
 AdamShep 25 Nov 2017
In reply to PCD:

It doesn't really work like that out there... If they are not a 'legit' outfit then are likely to deny all knowledge and responsibility leaving JRJG knee deep in proverbial faeces. Anyway, it's up to JRJG to do their own research. It is an incredible experience but at the expense of potentially getting in trouble with the police as it is banned... That's JRJG's call! I've just passed on my knowledge
 Ciro 25 Nov 2017
In reply to JRJG:

> Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for someone's first time dws'ing?

Don't climb without spotters you trust to get you out of something goes wrong.

Practice your water entry before you venture above 10m, especially if the water is calm - I've been knocked unconscious from around 10m on a flat day (rough seas break the surface tension and allow you to be much more cavalier about falling, assuming you're a strong enough swimmer to deal with the other dangers they bring).

Unless you have a gymnastic background, or some other sport that gives you a lot of body awareness and control in the air don't climb a meurte at height to begin with - be ready to eject in a semi-controlled manner.

Stay loose in the air, only tensing at the point of entry, and always close your legs before impact.

If the sea is rough, after landing take the time to catch your breath before trying to get out, and be patient watching the waves to spot the right moment for a safe exit.

Have fun, and be prepared for a new addiction

1234None 25 Nov 2017
In reply to JRJG:

As of April/May this year, the National Parks Authority had banned commercial DWS trips on some islands, but it wasn't a total ban. I'll leave it up to you to figure out why the folk at Asia outdoors might be spreading that rumour

I was there earlier this year and did some DWS without any problems. If the reputable places are still taking out DWS trips then assume it is OK to go. I would recommend checking with Elke at Basecamp Tonsai. They are fairly reliable there and they wouldn't take trips to anywhere they know is banned - it'd risk their operating license being revoked. If you do find that the trips aren't happening out of Tonsai (which is unlikely), head over to Koh Yao Noi and talk to the people in the climbing shop in Tha Kao bay. They will take you out to some spots off the North of the island.

There is some good DWS accessible by kayak from Railay and/or Tonsai - ask around locally for details. if you need a local contact drop me a message and will try to help out.
 1234None 25 Nov 2017
In reply to JRJG:

Sorry - just noticed that you are heading from Krabi to Phuket. Koh Yao is on your way to Phuket. I'd definitely recommend spending at least a few days on Koh Yao, then go straight from there to Phuket when you are done.

Rent a moped and explore both Koh Yao Noi and Koh Yao Yai. They are much more "real Thailand" than either Krabi or Phuket, although development is picking up pace. ; The climbing on KYN is superb - check out the Mitt.
 rickeden 30 Nov 2017
In reply to JRJG:

They are still going out DWS, out of Tonsai. Go to Base Camp shop and chat to Elka the owner. They have found some new lines outside the the banned area.
 PCD 30 Nov 2017
In reply to AdamShep:

Thanks for reminding me I have been known to get frustrated with the way authorities work in these places and I have been lucky not to get into trouble. Respect the local ways.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...