UKC

Meru - The Shark's Fin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 16 Nov 2017

Just watched this documentary film on Netflix.

Extreme mountaineering - what an amazing film.

Anyone else seen it? How did they film the summit sequences from afar?

Drone? Will a drone fly at that altitude?
Post edited at 18:16
 gavmac 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

It's a simply incredible film. I can't think of many climbing films I've enjoyed more.
kmhphoto 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I'm not sure I would have stayed so calm if I was there when the portal edge frame broke.
 HammondR 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:
Well, having read your post, I just watched it. What a fantastic film, and such a contrast to some of the guff sometimes served up in climbing/expedition films.

What a life enhancing tale.

Some of the exposure captured was stomach churning.

Thanks.

HakanT 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Astounding story brilliantly documented. The "house of cards" pitch was pants staining just to watch. Can't imagine even contemplating climbing that. The film won the Audience Award at Sundance, bu the way.
 Ben_Climber 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

It certainly is one of the best.
I first watched it when it was released and then again a few months back. I had forgotten how epic it is!

Ben
 Tom Last 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I thought it was a really quite poor and boring film. How they managed to make such a great tale quite so dry I don't know.
OP Trangia 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Tom Last:

> I thought it was a really quite poor and boring film. How they managed to make such a great tale quite so dry I don't know.

Well, there really is no answer to that.....
 Tom Last 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Well, there really is no answer to that.....

Fair enough. I think for me, maybe the production values were if anything too high, which I think can trip away the heart from stuff sometimes in a slightly intangible way, especially when the portrayed experience is itself so raw. I'm sure it's a wonderful film to others such as yourself, beauty, beholders and all that - just didn't do much for me.
 Tobes 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Was recommending this to someone just the other day.

Pleased to hear it’s still on Netflix as I’d seen it a while ago (watched it twice in fact) and didn’t expect it to still be available.

Mr. Lee 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I liked Meru but I think the Kunyang Chhish East film is my favourite in recent years.
 Davidwi 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks for the heads up on this film. Watched it lastnight, excellent film.
The look on their faces especially Conrad’s when they are sat in that storm, shows the real lows of an expedition, then other times when they finish a tricky pitch or work out a route the elation is such a good contrast.
Annoying Twit 19 Nov 2017
I found this on Netflix and have watched it twice already. I agree with everyone here, though I felt a bit concerned about Renan Ozturk being on the second attempt so soon after very serious injury, but it worked out in the end.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Kunyang Chhish East film; I'm going to buy and watch this.
 nniff 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Just watched it. Brilliant
 beardy mike 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I saw it too. Utterly breathtaking, both cinematography and what they achieved.
 Wildabeast 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I was confused how the dude had a stroke but still made it to the top. They seemed to gloss over it quite quick. Artistic license?
 Tim Sparrow 24 Nov 2017
In reply to nniff:

Watched it yesterday. Impressed. At last I benefit from paying for Netflix, not just my offspring.
 routrax 24 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Awesome film, thanks for pointing it out!
 nniff 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

My off-spring pays for Netflix - I’m the freeloader for once!
removed user 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

Came here to ask this. Was it a stroke? They heavily implied it was. But then they kept climbing and didn't mention it again!
 ed woods 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

"Anyone else seen it? How did they film the summit sequences from afar?

Drone? Will a drone fly at that altitude?"

...here's the answer from Renan - pretty interesting: http://adventureblog.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/27/getting-the-shot-in-...

Short answer... "computers"

Great film isn't it. One of those happy discoveries on Netflix.
 SteveD 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I loved it! one of the best films of the Genre IMO. Was quite moved when Anker handed over the summit pitch to Chin after such a battle with the climb over the years....

Steve
OP Trangia 28 Nov 2017
In reply to ed woods:

> "Anyone else seen it? How did they film the summit sequences from afar?

> Drone? Will a drone fly at that altitude?"

> ...here's the answer from Renan - pretty interesting: http://adventureblog.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/27/getting-the-shot-in-...

> Short answer... "computers"

> Great film isn't it. One of those happy discoveries on Netflix.

Thanks for that - to me that standard of filming is wizardry, not to mention the extreme climbing. I never got shots like that on my Brownie 127
 Lucy Wallace 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I've been wanting to see this film for a while because my stepdad attempted the Shark's Fin in 1985. Inspired by this thread I bought it off Amazon and just watched it. Holy moly. I knew he was badass but I hadn't reallised quite how badass. I do remember he came home with frostbitten toes. Sadly he's not around to ask about it any more but I must dig out his diaries.

A fantastic film of a totally amazing climb on a beautiful mountain.
In reply to Trangia:

Nice to see a popular mountaineering documentary that doesn't involve rich folk plodding up Everest.
 WaterMonkey 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Brilliant film, watched it the other day and might have to watch it again over the weekend.

I wonder if all those who slated the chap who posted the drone footage of CG enjoyed it?...
OP Trangia 07 Dec 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> Brilliant film, watched it the other day and might have to watch it again over the weekend.

> I wonder if all those who slated the chap who posted the drone footage of CG enjoyed it?...

Apparently no drone footage used on Meru - see further up the thread.
 felt 07 Dec 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Yes, because like Snowdon 360,000 people a year climb Mount Meru.
 Carl Smethurst 09 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:

This was a chance find on Netflix by my other half for me - an epic tale of near-death escapes and amazing tenacity. Recommended.
 ben b 05 Jan 2018
In reply to removed user:

Saw this with a friend who is a neurologist. We both felt that stroke was unlikely, and at least he had many years of experience telling stroke from non-stroke... Plenty of other things that can appear similar, and unless you were there at the time highly unlikely that the diagnosis can be nailed (and even then, getting an MRI scanner up the "house of Cards" pitch would prove problematic).

Really good film though, and in no way detracting from the effort and honesty of the individuals involved. One hell of a route and a superb effort both with climbing and filming.

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...