UKC

Windows 10 update: harrumph!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
After a recent windows update, my PC has helpfully denied me access to programs - sorry, apps - which I have installed. After a quick search for answers, I see that the workarounds either involve me entering a string of code in a powershell window, which I don't feel confident about doing, resetting the apps which loses data, preferences and so on, re-installing the apps which also loses data etc, or, best of all, going to the recovery page in the updates and security settings and clicking on a 'go back to the previous version of windows 10' button which isn't there.

B*****d f*****g t*****s. I hope someone's been fired for releasing this, preferably from a powerful trebuchet.

I don't want to use Linux, or a Mac, or a Chromebook, or even a windows 8, 7, vista or the like; I just want my PC to work. Anyone got any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

T.
 JLS 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

It all went horribly wrong after Windows 98.
Up to that point I felt I understood computers.
We spoke the same language. I was sensitive to their needs.
Now, sadly we seem to have drifted apart and no longer have any thing in common.
 Rob Exile Ward 17 Nov 2017

I think avoiding the phrase 'ta muchly' is an important first step. Otherwise you'll turn into Lemming.
Second... there isn't a second. And it just occurs to me I have been putting off an update for a few days now...
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Fair point, well made. And putting off that update indefinitely would be my suggestion.

T.
 richprideaux 17 Nov 2017

It's completely shagged several of my Adobe CC programs. Multiple rendering failures from Premiere Pro and Media Encoder and everything is desperately slow.

I am off to play with a chainsaw. That doesn't rely on updates.
 David Riley 17 Nov 2017

> putting off an update for a few days now...
I like Windows 10. But an update can take a few days now.
With 2 desktops, a laptop, and a tablet, it seems a major job with my 1-2M broadband.
I've had various problems, some of which were solved by the troubleshooter (that never used to happen).
Last week the laptop mousepad was disabled on battery. MS quickly fixed it with the next update.
One PC keeps selecting desktop shortcuts and demanding I agree to send them to the bin, not taking no for an answer.
However I do think Windows is getting better. It must be the influence of Brexit.

After speaking quite forcibly to my PC and threatening it with the Big Hammer if it didn't behave, and then turning it off and on again, it's now doing the electronic equivalent of whistling innocently and all my apps are in place as though there's never been a problem. 'Kin' 'ell.

I don't trust computers, I'm convinced they're plotting our destruction.

T
 defaid 17 Nov 2017

After last night's 'quality' updates, mine won't allow me to access files on my WINDOWS phone via USB. The only way to get them to talk is to disable Windows Defender and reboot the PC with the phone still plugged in. There must be a way around the updates short of quarantining the entire PC. I know that Group Policy Editor lets you defer updates for 365 days, and you can keep resetting the 'Pause for 30 days from...' date but you still have all the s*yte to come, just before next Christmas...

Can you do it by somehow fooling your PC into thinking the internet connection is metered?
 toad 17 Nov 2017
In reply to richprideaux:

> I am off to play with a chainsaw. That doesn't rely on updates.

Given they are currently advertising a cooker you can view and control remotely on your phone, I'd be careful there.

The Lemming 17 Nov 2017

> I think avoiding the phrase 'ta muchly' is an important first step. Otherwise you'll turn into Lemming.

> Cheers muchly for the heads up.

richprideaux 17 Nov 2017
In reply to toad:

> Given they are currently advertising a cooker you can view and control remotely on your phone, I'd be careful there.

Ah yes. The 'internet of things' can get fecked as well. My fridge does not need WiFi.
 Skip 17 Nov 2017

Windows?

There's your problem.
In reply to richprideaux:

Quite. I can see no personal benefit from being able to control my heating from my phone or my lights from anything other than the switch.

Just because you can doesn't mean that you should...

T.
 John2 17 Nov 2017

That's not what you would say if you were hoping to become a billionaire on the back of it.
XXXX 17 Nov 2017

My internet enabled heating is amazing. My phone tells it when I'm nearly home and it comes on automatically. Nice and toasty.

Can't see the point in an internet enabled washing machine though, unless it loads itself. Likewise fridge, dishwasher, toaster, kettle. Actually, I can see how having a freshly boiled kettle as you walk through the door could be quite good.

girlymonkey 18 Nov 2017

My dad installed remote heating control from his phone, but he spends much of his life living in Germany. I have had phone calls at 11pm asking me to go up to their house and check up on it because the heating has gone off etc. I keep telling him to give up on it and get normal heating again and I will keep an eye on it in sociable hours!!
(I hate technology for the sake of it but my folks love it. I'm sure our generations switched!)
 defaid 18 Nov 2017
In reply to XXXX:

Like those 'automatic' windscreen wipers that were fashionable some years ago -- you know, the ones you still had to turn on -- the IoT kettle is no good if you forgot to fill it. You'd need an IoT water supply to go with it.

And I do wonder how long the IoT chip pan will last.

I reckon all this stuff will go the same way as Betamax.
 oldie 18 Nov 2017

Actually I’m amazed at how well things do work. Millions of possible combinations of hardware and software, different manufacturers, updates, malware, PC ignoramuses (including myself) etc.
There almost always seem to be solutions with a short search on the web, though these are often just workarounds for those of us afraid to delve into the depths of our systems.
I manage to keep things ticking over with a few workarounds, switching PC off for a time, and occasional use of System Restore to revert to last good setup (no longer default on Windows 10).
My requirements are pretty basic though.
 Hooo 18 Nov 2017

Windows 10 sodding updates are the bane of my working life.
I now fear every time I go to restart a PC, in case the only option is the dreaded "update and restart". What will it be, 10 minutes of downtime or many hours of sorting out the mess? Every feature update so far has broken something on at least some of our machines. No update has ever delivered a noticeable improvement. I long for the days of Windows 7 when we just had security patches and an update breaking something was a very rare event.
Our unattended machines now have updates completely disabled. It's not good practice, but with 10 updates it's all or nothing, and "all" is too dangerous.
In reply to Hooo:

I tried Win10 on two machines. And went back to 7.

I kept system images of both, so, should MS manage at some point in the future to get Win10 vaguely stable, I can go back to it...
 Hooo 18 Nov 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

I wish that was an option at work...
Windows 10 will never be stable. Microsoft's new business model is a service rather than a package. This supposedly means that they provide regular updates so that the software constantly evolves. As far as I'm concerned the dubious benefits of the updates (more crapware) is massively outweighed by the disadvantages of this approach - that the OS will never be stable.
I (and many other) Microsoft users see an OS as a platform on which to run our products, not an all-singing experience. Hopefully Microsoft will come round to this eventually and release a separate stable version like the old embedded OS versions.
Andy Gamisou 18 Nov 2017
In reply to JLS:

> It all went horribly wrong after Windows 98.

> Up to that point I felt I understood computers.

> We spoke the same language.

59 6f 75 20 73 75 72 65 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 74 68 61 74 3f

Hooo 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Hugh Mongous:

You joke, but when I've been working on raw serial data I've been able to read hex almost as if it was plain text.
 Robert Durran 18 Nov 2017

Should I be worried that I don't even understand what the technophobes in this thread are on about?
 Brass Nipples 18 Nov 2017

> 59 6f 75 20 73 75 72 65 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 74 68 61 74 3f

Is that u sure?
 Ridge 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Hooo:

> I (and many other) Microsoft users see an OS as a platform on which to run our products, not an all-singing experience. Hopefully Microsoft will come round to this eventually and release a separate stable version like the old embedded OS versions.

Agree completely. I'm fortunate to be on Win 7 at work, but for home all I want is:

A machine that boots up in less than 5 minutes;
Lets me look at emails;
Lets me do banking;
Has some form of 'office' stuff;
Lets me store documents and photos.

That's it, but done on a stable OS with decent levels of security. At present all microsoft can seem to offer is something that'll spend it's entire life downloading terabytes of shite down my 6mps internet connection.
 David Riley 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Hooo:

Ever the optimist. I'm hoping there will not be major updates for a reasonable time now that the long expected creators update and its bug fixes are installed.
In reply to Ridge:
Oh yes please! Windows 10 updates essentially means for most of this year I usually can't fully use my pc for 25 mins from start up. Until the creator update it was due to some corruption that caused windows every time to re download some updates that had previously failed and for them to fail again before it would stop hogging the pc resources.

After the main update it seemed to correct the failed update problem but now its back to its regular updates/cumulative updates though they are no quite so power hungry. Time wise though is as bad as ever. Today, the update has been going for 2.5hrs and is only 20% downloaded - been stuck on 20% for over an hour even with machine idling. About to switch off pc and leave to another day!

If this is meant to be an improvement, microsoft seriously need to rethink. At least in the days of manual downloads I could save them until I had time to waste. To now switch on and not being able to do simple tasks for ages is ridiculous.

Rant over!
Andy Gamisou 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Hooo:

> You joke, but when I've been working on raw serial data I've been able to read hex almost as if it was plain text.

Me too after working on a set of emulators and cross compilers. In my case it was punishment after an minor altercation with my boss's boss. What was your crime?

Hooo 18 Nov 2017

I do it for fun!
 Rob Parsons 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> Agree completely. I'm fortunate to be on Win 7 at work, but for home all I want is:

> A machine that boots up in less than 5 minutes;

> Lets me look at emails;

> Lets me do banking;

> Has some form of 'office' stuff;

> Lets me store documents and photos.

> That's it, but done on a stable OS with decent levels of security.

Try Linux.

Doug 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Ridge:

I have a small laptop running on Linux which does all that. Its fairly slow but it did cost less than €200 so its the cheap processor that's to blame not the OS
In reply to Hooo:

That's nothing. There was a time when I could read paper tape as if it was printed text...
In reply to Hooo:

We only migrated from XP to 7 last year... Not a cat's chance in hell we'll move to 10.
 Big Ger 18 Nov 2017
In reply to defaid:

Sometimes, no matter how low tech you go, someone will fail...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/11/17/11/4670EC4F00000578-5092515-image...
Andy Gamisou 19 Nov 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

> That's nothing. There was a time when I could read paper tape as if it was printed text...

Beginners stuff. I used to be able read half inch mag tape by running my fingers along the surface and sensing fluctuations in the ferrous oxide coating. Was (sadly) made redundant when cartridges became popular.
 Dauphin 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

You can delay update installs, delay download times to times of day and days of week, if you have multiple machines in one office or house only a single machine needs to download and the others on the network will utilize that download instead of of downloading multiple instances.

Up until now I've had only a couple of minor issues with it - inability to install a driver on a BT dongle that was supposed to be plug and play and a couple of crashes when installing a legacy copy of win 10 on a P.C. I built with a Ryzen CPU which require at new supported revision.

Not sure what's people's beef with it is - far the best version that M.S. has yet produced. If only they would skin the U.I. with something approaching a 2017 design ethic it would be perfect.

D
 Robert Durran 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Sometimes, no matter how low tech you go, someone will fail...

Sounds pretty logical; works with a kettle.
In reply to Dauphin:
> You can delay update installs, delay download times to times of day and days of week, if you have multiple machines in one office or house only a single machine needs to download and the others on the network will utilize that download instead of of downloading multiple instances.

Thanks. Was aware of the install delay, but not the delay download. I’ll have to search for that. I don’t have a problem with installing, it’s the fact that for most of this year my pc resources were taken over far too much by the automatic downloads/updates and high failure rate - delays for nothing! Yesterday, gave up on the latest updates as after 4hrs it was still stuck on 20% downloaded.

> Up until now I've had only a couple of minor issues with it - inability to install a driver on a BT dongle that was supposed to be plug and play and a couple of crashes when installing a legacy copy of win 10 on a P.C. I built with a Ryzen CPU which require at new supported revision.

Minor issues to those who are not interested in IT become more significant issues. Loss of processor registeration, therefore loss of ability to update the software for that maybe minor, but to me it has rendered that machine useless (until I get around to taking it to my local computer shop for sorting/upgrading). Inability to see my phone and so unable to download photos is a hassle. Restall driver and the MS software just comes up with downloading photos failed - happens frequently and without explanation, but occasionally works.
Post edited at 12:55
 Dauphin 19 Nov 2017

Nah..Just call M.S. and they will reset processor reg for you without much fuss.. happened to plenty of people I know on 7/8 and also 10 and no expected third degree when they have explained what has happened.

D
 Big Ger 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

Hot water bottles lack an "on" switch.
 Tall Clare 20 Nov 2017

This seems like a good place to add my Windows 10 grumble. I got a lovely new laptop last week (Lenovo Ideapad 710S Plus), set it up, felt very fancy with the fingerprint recognition etc... then Windows did an update and now it won't recognise the fingerprint or the PIN - I can only use my password, like with my last computer which didn't have the fingerprint facility. I've been doing some reading this morning on the MS website, with a lot of people with Dell XPS15s grumbling in a similar vein - it seems one person has ended up having to send their computer back to Dell for some hardware upgrade, which seems a bit nuts.

Like PBAB I've also looked at the update system for my computer, but it all seems a bit complicated. Should I patiently wait for Windows to issue an update to this update that un-bolloxes it?
 Hooo 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

Me too. I gave up on the fingerprint reader on my Dell because it was so unreliable.
I use a PIN, but every couple of weeks it will refuse to log in with some obscure error. A reboot usually fixes it, but not always.
You'd think they'd have managed to get login working reliably by now...
 David Riley 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

Hi Clare, mine was an Ideapad too. It stopped the touchpad every 5 seconds on battery. It was fixed in the next update. I'd wait a few days if you can bear it.
 Tall Clare 20 Nov 2017
In reply to David Riley:

That's very good news - the touchpad's been a bit glitchy this afternoon. Will be patient!
 Dauphin 20 Nov 2017

You can select an option for an update stream for businesses and organisations - at least in Windows 10 pro. Which means its been tested by the lemmings, gung ho rodent food testers and early adopters and means it's probably 99% stable and unlikely to break anything.

First thing I do whenever I install a new O.S. or revision is see what settings options it gives me. Maybe I just like clicking things...but most of what everyone has complained about on this thread could be avoided by checking the settings once in a blue moon.

YMMV.

D
 Tall Clare 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

Thanks for this suggestion - I'll have a look at the settings now.
In reply to Dauphin:

Oh, I'm very much not Pro. And a quick glance at the settings page tells me that more 'kin updates are available.

There may soon be a gutteral yell and a loud crash, akin to that of a computer being thrown out of a window onto a hard surface, if I can't find a way to stop it. Computers are not my friend at the moment.

But thank you all for your comments, encouragement, shared tales of electronic woe and the like. At least I'm not the only one!

T.
 David Riley 20 Nov 2017

> more 'kin updates are available.

Steady. It's perhaps just the one they've done for Clare.

The Lemming 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

Just in case any Windows updates go tits up or I get a remote chance of my computer being infected or encrypted by malware, l keep a clone/mirror image of Windows 10 somewhere safe.

And if things go wrong I just go back in time. I will still have updates to perform as the clone is months old but at least I am up and running again in minutes not hours.

Yay
 Dauphin 20 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Yah + it even gives you option of doing this on a usb stick from the settings page, also you can roll back updates ( some, not all ) if they disagree with your hardware / software on the update page...

Perplexing isn't it.

Almost useable.

D

In reply to Dauphin:

> at least in Windows 10 pro

I suspect most home users will not have Pro.

Since I upgraded from Win7 Pro, I did have. And I changed the settings. And the constant need to perform updates was one of the reasons for binning it. I want to use my computer to do stuff. I don't want to spend my life tending my computer.
In reply to Dauphin:
> .. delay download times to times of day and days of week

I can't find any setting like that on my machine. Mine just automatically searches and downloads every time it is switched on. This is the part that is not user friendly as with my machine that means huge frustrating delays in getting anything done until microsoft decides its done what is needed, or just gives up.

It just goes on and on, month after month this farce. Despite last week's 4 hours to get only to 20% download, it is still trying and failing that same download. It must have decided to restart and is today sitting at 0% downloaded!

We will have to agree to disagree this is a minor issue and by far the best version ever produced.
Post edited at 11:37
 David Riley 22 Nov 2017

Click Settings, then Update & Security. You can select Change active hours (lower centre).

However, rather than do that, I would select Troubleshoot (left), then Windows Update, and Run the troubleshooter.
When that is done, set it to do the updates overnight.
In reply to David Riley:
> Click Settings, then Update & Security. You can select Change active hours (lower centre).
> However, rather than do that, I would select Troubleshoot (left), then Windows Update, and Run the troubleshooter.
> When that is done, set it to do the updates overnight.

On my pc with the active hours it just mentions about restarts and nothing about downloading. It's the automatic downloading that slows my machine. Restarts are not the problem as it waits to do those.
It's been going on so long I usually just start up the pc and ignore for 25mins and by that time it's up to full speed (unless it's a major download).

I'll check out the troubleshoot though, thanks, and see if I can stop automatic downloads that way.
 David Riley 22 Nov 2017
I got that wrong, sorry. Should have been :

Click Settings, then Update & Security, Advanced options, Delivery Optimization, Advanced options.
You can select % bandwidth for background downloading of updates with a slider.

Except you may not yet have updated to the point of having this function.
I wouldn't use it anyway.
Post edited at 12:40
In reply to David Riley:
No don't have any delivery optimizations.

Ran troubleshooter and it did "force" the update and restart of the lingering update though. Thanks, progress today - all is well .... until the next update time !
 David Riley 22 Nov 2017

> ... until the next update time !
Which will probably be now if you
> don't have any delivery optimizations.
 Tam O'Bam 24 Nov 2017
Yup. Machines hate us. (Or maybe just me).

I was in the kitchen the other day. The toaster and the kettle were huddled in the corner whispering to each other, glancing across at me and sniggering. I'm sure they're plotting something......

And you should have heard what the telly said to me the other day. Pure filth!!
Post edited at 07:30
 wercat 24 Nov 2017
In reply to Tam O'Bam:

that's strange - do these appliances have a digital part? Analogue things are usually sweeter natured. An analogue TV doesn't give up the ghost in the presence of a bit of interference or loss of signal strength - it still does its best for you. Digital stuff, however, is demonic in its attitude

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...