UKC

Cevennes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 20 Nov 2017
Mrs was doing a crossword in which one of the answers was Cevennes.
I got thinking about what sort of area it might be. Have any UKCers been there? What's the walking like? Are there mountain huts?
Already thinking it might be an area worth a look.
 Doug 20 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Its very pleasant, with some spectacular gorges and lots of forest, often contrasting scenery on opposite sides of the same hill with Atlantic/humid vegetation on the north & dry Mediterranean on the south. Some good walking, don't remember any huts - we stayed in B&Bs & gite d'étapes. The classic walk is to follow in the footsteps of Robert Louis Stevenson as described in his 'Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes', the walk is known locally as "Le chemin de Stevenson".
 Mooncat 20 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I keep a motorbike at my gaff near Nimes just for days out in the Cevennes, it's a lovely area.
OP mypyrex 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Doug:

Many thanks for that. I'll do some more research.
OP mypyrex 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Mooncat:

Thanks. How far is Nimes from the hills? What's the main town?
 Mooncat 20 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Probably about 30 miles to where it gets interesting. Most of the towns are on the edge of the park, from my limited experience I haven't come across any sizeable towns in the park itself. Florac would be my suggestion as a base.
Bogwalloper 20 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

The Cevennes national parc and The Ardeche national parc sit side by side. If you've ever been to the Ardeche it's very similar countryside. Beautiful part of France.
Mont Aigoual is the highest point and from the summit on good day you can see The Med, The Pyrenees and Mont Blanc.
Ales just to the south east is the nearest / largest town and worth a visit.

W
OP mypyrex 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Bogwalloper:

> Ales just to the south east is the nearest / largest town and worth a visit.

Do they do good beer there?
 jezzah 20 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I have been there a few times but ages ago now... picture the Peak District and add steroids to it and it's basically the Cevennes [wait for the abuse] oh and you have lots and lots of hot sunny days too...

Has anyone been there recently on public transport- is it possible to get from Nimes to the Cevennes on a bus?

Thanks
Jez
Removed User 20 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I love the Cevennes, it is subtler, more nuanced area than much of the south, and feels a bit more "local."

I've only been cycling there, as said above the gorges are spectacular and platueaux of the Causses are stunning in a different way. Friends have walked there a lot including the RL Stevenson donkey route and loved it.

Get yourself there. Tip: Le Camisard in Florac is one of the best places for lunch you will find anywhere, but check it's open.
 Mal Grey 20 Nov 2017
Having spent plenty of time just to the west/northwest on and around the Tarn, I can't imagine the Cevennes is anything less than wonderful.

I don't know if its the same, but I have always been amazed that the incredible places like the Gorges du Tarn are basically empty and closed until mid-June. The busy season is very short, and half the campsites were still shut in late May. This is both a bonus, as you have the landscape to yourself, and a pain, in that some of the eating houses and accommodation may not be open. That said, I would highly recommend going just off-season. There will be something open, just find out ahead of your arrival....it took visiting 3 campsites (by canoe) to find an open one for us on the Tarn during our May Bank Holiday week.

In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

> Get yourself there. Tip: Le Camisard in Florac is one of the best places for lunch you will find anywhere, but check it's open.

Bu88er. It was closed. Doubly disappointed now. Though we did eat very well in a little "locals" place nearby.
 Jim Lancs 20 Nov 2017
You can still hire donkeys to carry your rucksac.
 mcrtchly 12 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

Cevennes is a lovely place.  We did a short walk and video in 2015.  See  youtube.com/watch?v=XSJghfd-22w&

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...