UKC

A sad farewell to a dear old friend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goucho 20 Nov 2017
We've been through so much over the years, you and I.

Shared so many great adventures, the highs, the lows, the starlight and storms.

I remember the first time we met, introduced by dear Uncle Brian Cropper in the YHA store. As we sized each other up, I saw the twinkle in his eyes. He knew we were a perfect fit, and this was going to be the start of a lifelong partnership in the mountains.

Over the years you've never let me down. You've saved my skin on several occasions, and I realise there were far too many times I took you for granted, and treated you badly.

And this life in the mountains has taken its toll over the years. The damage was always repaired, but the scars remained visable, badges of honour and testimony to our often harsh life together.

And though there have been others in my climbing life, that special bond between us always remained. You were always my favourite. Always the irreplaceable one.

That time I thought I'd lost you in the Cairngorms on New Years Eve was horrible. But when I walked back into The Tavern a day later, and saw you there, draped over a chair next to the bar, I was so happy to have you back.

And even though in the last few years, our times climbing together have become less frequent due to your age and deteriorating condition, I never thought I'd ever have to face losing you just yet.

But this morning I got the phone call, to tell me that you were gone. That nothing could be done to save you.

And what is worse, is the circumstances in which your end came. No faithful partner of so many years deserves such a violent and undignified end.

So farewell my old faithful ME Annapurna Duvet.

And when I get back to Courmayeur and get my hands on those two bloody dogs that decided to have a f*cking tug of war contest with you, I promise to avenge you.

elliott92 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

absolutely brilliant. i cannot believe i nearly had a tear in my eye over a jacket
 Trangia 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

Sorry for your loss.
 profitofdoom 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

Really funny, Goucho you had me going too

(But "Over the years you've never let me down", was that deliberate?!)
Removed User 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

Brilliant.

I've still got my 33 year old Michelin Man type Salewa duvet jacket, in early 80s bright red. It's a bit 'been round the block' but still keeps me warm and I'm determined I'll be buried/burned in it.
 Jim 1003 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

It all went down hill....
 Tom Last 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

Nice. Reminds me of this.

youtube.com/watch?v=eNLA3AkL-Ns&
 FactorXXX 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

RIP
Literally...
 SteveSBlake 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:
You are welcome to mine....

cander 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

We’ve just got two German Shorthaired pointer pups - bring yer Annapurna duvet round here, I reckon it might last 30 minutes if they decide to eat your boots first
 Ben_Climber 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

Sat welling up at my desk.... well played my friend!
 blackcat 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho: Class, i was thinking human or k9,relieved it was just your jacket.
 Tam O'Bam 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

I have a 35 yo Helly Hansen fleece. Been to the hospital once, but still going strong, and a fav.

Sorry for your loss. (Murdering b*****ds)!!
 Gwain 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

I thought this was going to be a Mugabe post.
 Babika 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

Lovely.

I shall look at my faithful blue and yellow 80's Annapurna in a new light now.

It still gets lots of trips out and as a special treat will be going up Elbrus next year
 Albert Tatlock 22 Nov 2017

How Do

Can you remember what you paid for your Annapurna jacket, I bought one around the same time and always remember the generous discounts by Brian and his team ,circa £ 40 , some much discount that I could also afford a JB sack as well,

olddirtydoggy 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

Turn dogs into duvet, fixed.
pasbury 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

Brought a tear to my eye, my old mates the red Helly fleece and Rab down bag were lost in much less dramatic ways but the loss is still upsetting.
 felt 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

My veteran Karrimat got partially eaten in Madrid by Hamlet, a Vietnamese pot-bellied pig.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...