UKC

Solo hillwalkers - do you carry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 21 Nov 2017
a basic 'ICE' card?

ICE - in case of emergency...resuscitate using only single malt

Usually hold contact details of next of kin and GP plus info on any allegries / conditions

Was getting new tags made up for my pup and thought - should I get some for me!

CasWebb 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Generally as a separate card no, because I have ICE emergency details enabled on my phone which I always have with me
 Trangia 21 Nov 2017
In reply to CasWebb:

> Generally as a separate card no, because I have ICE emergency details enabled on my phone which I always have with me

Plus 1
 Neil Williams 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:
I don't really bother. Parcel me off to the NHS and have them fix me then I'll talk to next of kin myself once fixed (my next of kin all live a long way away).

I'd wear a medic alert bracelet if relevant (I was briefly on blood thinners and carried the card from that as long as it was relevant).
Post edited at 13:51
redsonja 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

I wear a medi alert necklace coz I take warfarin but that's all
OP Flinticus 21 Nov 2017
In reply to CasWebb:

I don't but I suppose I should add. However is your phone password protected? It could also run out of power
OP Flinticus 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

Ha! But absence of medical alert bracelet cannot be taken to assume absence of medical issue.
 Wonrek 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

I do a lot of remote walking in the hills and in my case there's no point, my only next of kin are my kids one is small and the grown ones have learning difficulties. So as was said above just patch me up and call me a cab sadly!
In reply to Flinticus:

> Ha! But absence of medical alert bracelet cannot be taken to assume absence of medical issue.

Indeed not, though it is useful information for the NHS to know if there is something to tell them.
In reply to redsonja:
> I wear a medi alert necklace coz I take warfarin but that's all

Talking of warfarin have you looked at the newer drug rivaroxaban? That's what I had (I was offered 3 choices, heparin injections, warfarin or rivaroxaban) and now there is an antidote to the latter if needed (there wasn't to start with) neither I nor the doctor could see any disadvantage, and it requires far less supervision. The actual tablets cost the NHS more, but because of there being no need for a warfarin nurse the overall cost is lower. (I specifically asked that question as I don't like to waste NHS funds, they are scarce as it is).

I don't even understand why they offer warfarin any more given the high level of costly and inconvenient supervision it requires.
Post edited at 14:52
 CasWebb 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Yes, the phone is password protected but you can access emergency contacts without having to unlock a phone. Yes it could also run out of charge, but it would only take the emergency services 30 seconds to get enough charge back into the phone to be able to get at the details.
redsonja 21 Nov 2017

Hi Neil. No, I haven't heard of rivaroxaban. But I have to go next week for my INR so will ask about it. Thanks for that
 Fiona Reid 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Yes, mostly because I lead the odd walk on as a volunteer and we ask walkers to carry one so I just leave mine in my walking sack.

I also have an emergency message on my mobile that gives name, dob, emergency contact details, blood group, medication and that I'm an organ donor. This message can be viewed whether the phone is locked or not.
 goatee 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Just a donor card and my ID in the wallet. If a big fall is taken the phone could be smashed to bits (as well as the rest of me )
OP Flinticus 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Fiona Reid:
How do you set this up? On an android phone...
Post edited at 17:40
 wilkesley 21 Nov 2017

If you are stable on Warfarin, you only need to get tested every 8 weeks or so. Cost of the test is quite small, if you exclude the cost of the cost of the nurse. I don't know why they don't allow you to self test, as it's a very simple procedure.
 Aly 21 Nov 2017
The NOACs (rivaroxaban, apixaban and dabigatran - and I think Edoxaban is licensed too now?) are all licensed for slightly different uses, and do not cover all of the indications for warfarin so a NOAC may not be an option, depending on why one is taking warfarin. They also have some contra-indications that warfarin doesn’t have.

They are certainly being used more and more, with good reason and I think would probably be my preference if I needed to be anti-coagulated and they were an option.

As you say, definitely worth enquiring about.
Post edited at 18:43
 Fiona Reid 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:
On my phone (Android) under Settings -> Users and Accounts there's an Emergency information option, it displays even if the screen lock is on thus anyone can view the info. To view it from the lock screen you click "Emergency" and then follow the instructions and my details and emergency contact data get displayed.

There's also another way to display info via Settings -> Security & location -> Lock screen preferences which gives the option to add a lock screen message. I've added all my emergency contact stuff in there too. Basically it displays that message when the phone is locked.
Post edited at 20:09
 DaveHK 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

on up the Khyber?
OP Flinticus 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Fiona Reid:
Not on my Samsung Galaxy
Post edited at 20:12
 Fiona Reid 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

> Not on my Samsung Galaxy

You could also try under Contacts and then select My Profile for your own details. Google suggests that you should have an Emergency medical information section that you can fill in. My samsung tablet is too ancient to have this but your phone might?
 skog 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

I don't.

I have various pieces of ID in my wallet, and I tell my wife where I'm going before heading out, and I have no particular special medical requirements, so I don't see what it would add - either I'll be basically OK, or my corpse will be easily identified!
 pass and peak 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

I made up a "If anything happens to me" card and keep it in my small medical kit, has my details, blood type etc and a diagram of a person in the recovery position. If I'm out with other responsible adults I just tell them its in there!
mikeweavers 28 Nov 2017
In reply to pass and peak:

I can see the logic to these cards, but blood type is un-necessary. You'll get O until cross-matched, whether you have blood type on a card, on your kit or tattooed on your body.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...