UKC

Crossing the Avon near Faindouran

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 21 Nov 2017

I'm guessing it could be difficult to impossible to wade just now but is the bridge about 2 km downstream still in place? From photos on Geograph it looks like a plank contraption over a little gorge. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2465538

Ta.
Post edited at 22:49
 Ramblin dave 22 Nov 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Can't help, but I was actually going to ask a related question about the Fords of Avon - does it get into states at this time of year where it's not safely crossable with trousers off, sandals on and a bit of hopping about to warm up on the other side?
OP DaveHK 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I've always been able to get across at the ford but haven't been there that often and could certainly see how it could become impassable.
Removed User 22 Nov 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

I was around the Spey/Fiddich area yesterday and the rivers were very high, it's been hammering it down for days seemingly. What this means for your crossing I don't know.
 Lucy Wallace 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:
I've seen the Fords impassable a number of times. Would imagine it's on the swimmy side at the moment given the amount of rain that we've had.

Edit: Ref the bridge- if its the one I'm thinking of I recall it being in place a couple of years ago. It's quite a long way down stream from Faindouran though (5km?)
Post edited at 08:19
OP DaveHK 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Snoweider:

There's one shown 2k down and another about 5k down.

Given the amount of rain we've had in Inverness in the last 48hrs I'm sure everything in the gorms will be very high.
 Lucy Wallace 22 Nov 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Ah ok. I'ts not marked on the 1:25K map on the walkhighlands site, and I don't remember ever seeing it but that doesn't mean its not there!
 Steve Perry 22 Nov 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

I waded across it in the dark one December with my pants rolled up and got the worst ice cream head ever it was so cold!! Not bad if it's not been raining but after rain/snow melt who knows.
 Scomuir 22 Nov 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Can't help with that one, but the bridge at the head of Slochd Mor (NJ126058) was certainly there spring 2016.
 Jim Braid 22 Nov 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Bridge at Slochd Mor still there June 2016. Don't remember the bridge further upstream.

River Don has burst its banks at Kintore today - I would expect Fords of Avon to be impassable under the current conditions.
snoopdawg 22 Nov 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Dave I posted a similar question back in 2015.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55636&p=2...

Don't know if that helps your query. I've not got my maps to hand to check grid refs.
Removed User 22 Nov 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Waded the river near the bothy after a heavy downpour in July once. Knee deep but passable.
OP DaveHK 23 Nov 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

I noticed that the new Bothy Bible mentions the one further west (099061) so it's probably a fair assumption that they're both still there.

I've got a few options for this weekend but if I do go that way I'll report back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...