UKC

What length rope for indoor walls?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Catriona 23 Nov 2017
I fancy doing some indoor climbing this winter. What length rope is generally enough for UK walls? Ta.
 climbEdclimb 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Catriona:

Generally a 30m is fine for most indoor walls.

Does depend where about you are based though, some certain centres do have walls which need a longer rope. For example in Beacon in North Wales you need a 40m to do some of their lead walls and at Ratho in Edinburgh you can need a rope up to 60m.

OP Catriona 23 Nov 2017
In reply to climbEdclimb:

Thanks. Mostly Midlands at the moment.
 Fraser 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Catriona:

Also depends on how many times you want to be able to chop off frayed ends due to wear and tear before it's too short to use. It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of rope" type question
OP Catriona 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Ah, hadn't thought of that. I was hoping to get away with a 25m offcut but that looks like a false economy.
 Luke90 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Catriona:

Midlands is quite vague. If you're anywhere near Sheffield, Awesome Walls needs a 50m rope.

(Though you'd actually get away with shorter on almost every line. I think they say 50m to sound impressive and leave themselves a margin of error because I don't think I've reached the middle mark even on the big roof.)
 Skipinder 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Catriona:
30m is supposed to be long enough for the longest of Redpoint's (Birmingham) routes (I take a 35m one); take a 60m if you intend using the competition wall at Awesome Walls in Sheffield.
Post edited at 20:54
 Luke90 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Skipinder:

> take a 60m if you intend using the competition wall at Awesome Walls in Sheffield.

No, 50m is plenty for that.

Skipinder 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Luke90:

Is it? TYFI
 stp 24 Nov 2017
In reply to Luke90:

> > take a 60m if you intend using the competition wall at Awesome Walls in Sheffield.

> No, 50m is plenty for that.

A 40m is fine.

If you find a good deal on an 80m you can get two 40m ropes from it and save some money. One wall at Awesome Walls Stockport requires more than a 40m, though the best bits of that wall are fine with 40m, probably less.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...