UKC

Scarpa Zodiac boot sizing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 damowilk 23 Nov 2017
Hi,
I’d be grateful if anyone who has this boot could comment on its fit, as I’m considering getting it without trying it first (no stockists in Country.)
I normally fit Scarpa very well, pretty consistent with size 45, but got caught out once with the quite different last of the Rebel range which was too small at this size.
The Zodiac tech says it’s last is BZ, which seems different from both the Rebel, and the Phantom that I have.

Any comments on how it performs would be great too. I’d use it for Summer alpine here in NZ.
Thanks
 LucaC 24 Nov 2017
In reply to damowilk:
I’m 42 across the board in Scarpa - zen, phantom, manta, charmoz, and the zodiac in a 42 is perfect too.
 RhysRolfe 24 Nov 2017
In reply to damowilk:

I tried on the zodiacs in a 45 and found them comfortable (45 being my usual size) however I have also found the rebel’s to be a little small in a 45.
 John R 24 Nov 2017
In reply to damowilk:
I've been using Zodiacs for the last eighteen months. I'm using 44s, which is my "normal" shoe size. They offer a snug fit which works really well, but still allow me to wear a slightly thicker sock if I want a bit of extra give. I find them excellent for all general approach work, and particularly good on wet/ slippery grass, mud and dirt. For climbing they seem great for edging and I use them comfortably on mountain routes where I don't need the out and out technicality of a rock shoe. Overall support and feel are exactly what I was hoping for. If I have a reservation it would be their behaviour on wet sloping rock; I have never yet come adrift, but they do sometimes feel to creep slightly even now they are very well worn in. The sole is certainly holding up well, so maybe the compound is just a bit hard. Overall I have been very happy with them, and would certainly get another pair in due course, John Rowlands.
 TobyA 24 Nov 2017
In reply to damowilk:

I owe UKC and Scarpa a review of the Zodiac Techs I've been using all summer and autumn for various things - I was just hoping to get the chance to use them with crampons on before writing up, but I might just need to do with out that. I actually drove 3 hrs each way to North Wales two weeks ago and did the Snowdon horseshoe hoping to try them in snow - there was some but not as much as the forecast had said and not enough to need to get my crampons out unfortunately.

Overall fantastic boots. I don't see why they won't be perfect for scrambly stuff with crampons on either, they climb well without them. I think they might be narrow, or at least narrower than past scarpas I've had - although I haven't bought new Scarpa boots since the last century so don't take that as a great guide if comparing to modern scarpa boots.
OP damowilk 24 Nov 2017
In reply to John R:

Thanks all, perfect.
I’ve ordered them in my “normal” Scarpa size of my Zens and Phantoms. Looking forward to trying them out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...