UKC

Thirlmere Zipwires

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Davidwi 24 Nov 2017
Apologies in advance for the forum couldn’t decide where to put it.

Anyhow, just read about the plans for the development of zip wires over Thirlmere.
Personally I’m not a fan of the idea but what are everyone else’s thoughts?
In reply to Davidwi:

Thirlmere - NO WAY!
Honister - YES DEFINITELY!

DC
 Trangia 24 Nov 2017
In reply to Davidwi:

> Apologies in advance for the forum couldn’t decide where to put it.

> Anyhow, just read about the plans for the development of zip wires over Thirlmere.

> Personally I’m not a fan of the idea but what are everyone else’s thoughts?

Can you provide a link, please?
In reply to Trangia:

http://zipoff.org/

He has a Facebook page too.
OP Davidwi 24 Nov 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

Cheers missed this.
 shantaram 24 Nov 2017
In reply to Davidwi:

If you want to take positive action against the Thirlmere zip wire proposal this link explains how best to do it https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/Pages/Site/thirlmere/Category/t...

The planning application has been submitted and we have until 2nd Jan 2018 to submit objections
Lusk 24 Nov 2017
In reply to shantaram:

Those retired wealthy professionals (the trustees) won't be wanting their highly expensive Lakeland experience ruining by the proletariat will they!
 shantaram 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Are you familiar with this valley and this area? I live here and I am pro zip wires, but not in this valley. England is becoming a very crowded place and Thirlmere valley is one of the few remaining places where people can enjoy relative peace & tranquillity. There are many other places in Cumbria and England better suited for this proposal.
Removed User 25 Nov 2017
In reply to shantaram:

Quite right. Why don't they apply to build one at Blackpool, which is where this sort of "adventure" belongs. There's no need for artificial thrills like this in the National Park. If you go to the Lakes in order to ride a zip wire, then you're missing something.
 shantaram 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Removed User:

There are also many areas of West Cumbria that would really benefit from the increased numbers of visitors and jobs created by a zip wire attraction. Whereas in this area of the Lake District there is already a glut of low wage seasonal jobs and visitor numbers are very high. The zip wire will not benefit the area in any way I can see, it will just make the owner(s) of Tree Top Treks very wealthy. 8 zip wires at around £70/go, all day every day.
 Wainers44 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> Those retired wealthy professionals (the trustees) won't be wanting their highly expensive Lakeland experience ruining by the proletariat will they!

Either good troll or you seriously dont know much about anything. Listen to the real residents. There is a place for this type attraction in the Lakes but it isnt thirlmere.
 summo 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Wainers44:
> Either good troll or you seriously dont know much about anything. Listen to the real residents. There is a place for this type attraction in the Lakes but it isnt thirlmere.

How many 'real' residents live within 10miles of the proposed zip wire. Average lakes wage is under the national average, average house price is at least double. Even a small house with zero parking, garden, view.. etc.. could cost you £200-300k in this area.
Post edited at 21:34
 Wainers44 25 Nov 2017
In reply to summo:

> How many 'real' residents live with 10miles of the proposed zip wire. Average lakes wage is under the national average, average house price is at least double. Even a small house with zero parking, garden, view.. etc.. could cost you £200-300k in this area.

So there is a radius to be a resident. I didn't realise that. My error.

Also if you take the distance from the dam end you pick up Keswick, if you go only from the Chapel end you get Grasmere. Sorry but you do need to be a bit clearer.

And house price determines if you have a say? Well that's me b*ggered from expressing any planning opinion where I live then.

BTW it's still the wrong place for a zip wire .
 shantaram 25 Nov 2017
In reply to summo:

See your point, but me and most of my friends and the people I know live here, work here, earn under the national average wage, rent a property or bought before the houses became unaffordable for most. This is not about Nimbyism, it's about preserving some of the last remaining areas of beauty and tranquillity in England for others to enjoy. It really is not the right location for 8 zip wires and the infrastructure associated with it.
 summo 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Wainers44:

> So there is a radius to be a resident. I didn't realise that. My error.

No. But the person referenced 'real residents'. So you must have to live reasonably close to be considered a resident. You couldn't say someone living in Carlisle was a local resident could you?

> And house price determines if you have a say? Well that's me b*ggered from expressing any planning opinion where I live then.

It shows that anyone working in the lakes can't afford to buy a house within the distance a scream would travel from the zip wire.

I didn't actual say it was a good or bad place for it. But if you think the houses within miles of there are owned by locals, who travel just a few miles to work, then you are dreaming.

summo 25 Nov 2017
In reply to shantaram:

I think we can agree to disagree on tranquil. It's on the main road through the middle of lakes, next to a man made resv. All the fringes of the lakes are far quieter, it's already in the honey pot, which may be a reason not to add more attractions, or perhaps just keep the middle of the lakes busy and leave the edges alone.

Think West of gable, East of high street etc..
 Wainers44 25 Nov 2017
In reply to summo:

> No. But the person referenced 'real residents'. So you must have to live reasonably close to be considered a resident. You couldn't say someone living in Carlisle was a local resident could you?

> It shows that anyone working in the lakes can't afford to buy a house within the distance a scream would travel from the zip wire.

> I didn't actual say it was a good or bad place for it. But if you think the houses within miles of there are owned by locals, who travel just a few miles to work, then you are dreaming.

And the day that real has a "test"attached to it the planning system needs to change big time. For a start how about the real "test" being applied to the planning officers?

The houses directly affected by the application are few, maybe 12 or so if you include Thirlspot, upper St John's, maybe even Dale Bottom. But there are still plenty of real residents in Keswick who should also have a say.

Me, I don't live there. I have an opinion but not a say.
 Wainers44 25 Nov 2017
In reply to shantaram:

> See your point, but me and most of my friends and the people I know live here, work here, earn under the national average wage, rent a property or bought before the houses became unaffordable for most. This is not about Nimbyism, it's about preserving some of the last remaining areas of beauty and tranquillity in England for others to enjoy. It really is not the right location for 8 zip wires and the infrastructure associated with it.

As an April fool they ran a story where I live about a zip wire running several hundred feet above the Exe across to Exmouth. Loads fell for it (not off it!).

Plenty of tourism here, seasonal jobs aplenty and over priced housing, but there are still right and wrong places to have things.

summo 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Wainers44:

> And the day that real has a "test"attached to it the planning system needs to change big time. For a start how about the real "test" being applied to the planning officers?

Everyone should be allowed a say, but more weight should be added to a 30 something trying to work and live there, than a retiree who moved there when they sold up in London. Sadly the parks planning committee have no interest in local employment, only maintaining the status quo.

> The houses directly affected by the application are few, maybe 12 or so if you include Thirlspot, upper St John's, maybe even Dale Bottom. But there are still plenty of real residents in Keswick who should also have a say.

All should have a voice. What the lakes needs is more diverse employment. Not just b&b, tea rooms or another Beatrix tribute. The world changes as people aren't just wanting to pretend they are wainwright trudging around the hills. The next generation might want to use the parks for different activities, which is the purpose of the parks allegedly, some where for those in towns to escape to etc..

Wainers44 25 Nov 2017
In reply to summo:

Agree with all of that in terms of diversity of employment, business etc. But you can't rely only upon a particular demographic to know what's best for all who live somewhere. That location does seem to lend itself more to B&B type businesses? Other areas could accommodate that sort of attraction.

summo 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Wainers44:

> Agree with all of that in terms of diversity of employment, business etc. But you can't rely only upon a particular demographic to know what's best for all who live somewhere. That location does seem to lend itself more to B&B type businesses? Other areas could accommodate that sort of attraction.

I think the grey demographic has enough influence over national parks already. What most towns in most parks need are modern small business estates, for small scale non heavy industries, decent fibre or 4g coverage throughout, affordable housing with local employee caveats.... What they don't need are more B&Bs or more pensioners wanting to keep the parks like some Victorian museum.
 Wainers44 25 Nov 2017
In reply to summo:

> I think the grey demographic has enough influence over national parks already. What most towns in most parks need are modern small business estates, for small scale non heavy industries, decent fibre or 4g coverage throughout, affordable housing with local employee caveats.... What they don't need are more B&Bs or more pensioners wanting to keep the parks like some Victorian museum.

Again there needs to be a balance and those who live in the area should have a say regardless of age. Business estates, non heavy industries all need a reason to be where they are, not just satisfying an employment driver alone. Demand is also a good thing....

Anyway, I am the grey demographic, having been so since 18. I have no other influence over the Lake District National Park, other than loving it more every time I time I suffer the 6 hour drive to get there.
 CasWebb 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Davidwi:

The full planning application details can be found here for anybody who wants to comment
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?the...
 rocksol 27 Nov 2017
In reply to summo:

Totally agree. Same in Peak. Encourage people who have no interest in outdoors into the area with all the overcrowding, ecological problems etc.
Only benefits coffee and gift shop owners, whilst the indigenous population suffer as their traditional work is banned, forcing them out of the area or work in said gift shops for paupers wages.
Disgraceful; and just how much money do the Peak Park Planning Board spend on endless helicopter flights for timber removal and creation of miles of stone slab patios up on the moors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...