UKC

Walna Scar Parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Graham 26 Nov 2017
Possibly your last chance to have a say on the proposal for parking restrictions and charging at Walna Scar.

From the latest Westmorland Gazette/ public notices.

" Any representations should be sent on or before 14th December 2017 to
The Planning Inspectorate,Commons Team,3F Temple Quay, Bristol,BS1 6PN
or commonlandcasework@pins.gsi.gov.uk "

The parking proposals at Walna Scar will affect all climbers trying to visit Dow Crag.

Rog Wilko 26 Nov 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

> The parking proposals at Walna Scar will affect all climbers trying to visit Dow Crag.

All climbers? Not those walking up from Tranearth hut/Torver.
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> All climbers? Not those walking up from Tranearth hut/Torver.

I suspect it will, I think you’ll see considerably more foot traffic that way at all times of the day, and a lot more parking in Torver and the surrounding lanes.
 olddirtydoggy 26 Nov 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

It only affects anybody who recognises the system there. Fines are nothing more than begging letters.
 Neil Williams 26 Nov 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> It only affects anybody who recognises the system there. Fines are nothing more than begging letters.

That isn't true if it's a local authority penalty charge notice. There is a difference between a penalty charge notice (which you'll have Court bailiffs taking your stuff for if you don't pay) and a parking charge notice (which in many *but not all* cases can simply be ignored).

Alternatively, pay to rent the land to put your car on. I really don't see why people have such a problem with that.
In reply to redbullxtremer:

And after you told them to do one, what happened?

I'm guessing that they didn't just say "Fair enough mate".
 Neil Williams 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:
You can tell private debt collectors to "do one", they have no right of entry. I have done so before (not for my debts, for those of a previous occupant).

You cannot tell Court bailiffs to "do one". If you do, they'll come back with the Police and you'll be charged the additional costs of doing so.

Quite a difference there.
Post edited at 10:48
 The Lemming 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

> There is a difference between a penalty charge notice (which you'll have Court bailiffs taking your stuff for if you don't pay) and a parking charge notice (which in many *but not all* cases can simply be ignored).

Ignoring a Parking Charge Notice, which is an invoice, is very bad advice.

The law/rules have changed and ignoring such documents could result in very large payments being awarded to the car parking operators.

By all means challenge or appeal against Parking Charge Notices but never ignore them.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nhs-nu...

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/appeal-or-ignore/

In reply to Neil Williams:

My comment was in response to some dude who's post was subsequently removed by Alan James, and for good reason.

Your observations are correct!
OP Rick Graham 27 Nov 2017
Back on topic, if you are writing or emailing your support or objections to the proposed access restriction, pay and display, the correct reference is,

Coniston, Seathwaite, Dunnerdale and Torver High Common.

edit missing letter
Post edited at 13:51
OP Rick Graham 29 Nov 2017

Bump.

Anybody written or emailed yet?

The more letters sent the better.

Just got back from the local BMC meeting, the area and HQ will be writing but all letters only count once as far as the planning authorities are concerned.
 Bulls Crack 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

> The parking proposals at Walna Scar will affect all climbers trying to visit Dow Crag.

I will either walk up from Consiton or pay. Either way I'll get to Dow/the Old Man etc
In reply to Rick Graham:

I thought the application had been submitted and approval given already.
 Simon Caldwell 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> I will either walk up from Consiton or pay

But the proposals will significantly reduce the space available up there, so the already limited options for parking in Coniston will fill up even earlier
OP Rick Graham 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

> I thought the application had been submitted and approval given already.

So did I, so was surprised to see the public notice in the local paper/Westmorland Gazette.

I think they might have hit a legal hurdle in the law relating to common land.

OP Rick Graham 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

> I thought the application had been submitted and approval given already.

In the curious set up that is the Lake District Planning Board which is part of the Lake District National Park Authority....
The planning committee decided to let their officers decide the merits of this application, as I understand it.

At the BMC lakes area meeting last night, the principal objections raised and supported by all present, I do not recall any disagreement, are

1. the parking numbers proposed is too small for the demand, which will overload the parking available in the village.

2. paying for something which has been traditionally free on common land.

3. unnecessary development and hard landscaping above the fell gate.

4. locking the gate at 9 pm which will limit late finishing climbers, early start winter climbers and folk on backpacking trips.

I also surmise the parish council is upset about their strong disapproval being ignored.
In reply to Rick Graham:

Not to mention the spurious environmental issues touted as a reason for the plan.
 Simon Caldwell 01 Dec 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

(4) is worrying. I contacted them during the initial consultation phase and was assured that the gate would not be locked outside charging periods.
OP Rick Graham 02 Dec 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Possibly your last chance to have a say on the proposal for parking restrictions and charging at Walna Scar.

> From the latest Westmorland Gazette/ public notices.

> " Any representations should be sent on or before 14th December 2017 to

> The Planning Inspectorate,Commons Team,3F Temple Quay, Bristol,BS1 6PN

> or commonlandcasework@pins.gsi.gov.uk "

Just sent off my objections email.

The reference title is "Coniston, Seathwaite, Dunnerdale and Torver High Common."

Anybody else done one?
 somethingelse 02 Dec 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

Open spaces society and natural england and/or friends of the lake district (not sure which of the latter) will be submitting an objection. I'll be emailing one in too emphasising points noted in your message above from BMC meet
 Jim Lancs 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

I've sent off my objection.
 Bulls Crack 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> But the proposals will significantly reduce the space available up there, so the already limited options for parking in Coniston will fill up even earlier

We'll see
 Bulls Crack 17 Dec 2017
In reply to somethingelse:

Presumably the Open Spaces Society and FoTLD . Not a SSSI .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...