UKC

Sub-£100 slim, lightweight camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 felt 27 Nov 2017
Looking for a slim, lightweight camera to slip into my cycling jersey to take some landscape shots when out and about. Also family shots. Not that fussed about super quality, obviously, but equally obviously keen to avoid a dud. Video capability a must, as is slimness. Don't want one with a protruding lens.

Was going to get the Sony DSCW800 at £69 but it gets rather too many 1* reviews on Amazon for my liking, although encouragingly it gets far more 5*s. For £69 you can't expect the world, you say, and indeed you're right. But ... An alternative seems to be the Canon Ixus 185 at £89.

Anyone have any experience of this end of the market?

(Don't suggest a phone, please!)
 balmybaldwin 27 Nov 2017
In reply to felt:

> (Don't suggest a phone, please!)

Why not? at that form factor and price point you won't do much better
OP felt 27 Nov 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

OK then, which phone would be comparable at the price?
 sxrxg 27 Nov 2017
In reply to felt:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/zte-axon-7-mini-4g-smartphone-golden-9169-...

This can be had for £100. It is a phone however it has a 16mpx Samsung sensor and f1.8 lens. Quality should be similar to point and shoot cameras at the same price point however you will get significant other benefits such as maps to use when out on your bike (try the maverick app for os maps).
 Martin Bennett 27 Nov 2017
In reply to felt:

I've had Canon Ixus 235 and now have 255 and am delighted with both. To get 'em in your budget it'll have to be eBay but that's where mine (and one belonging to a pal) came from and all have been fine. As is probably in your mind the trouble with a phone for photos is the difficulty of handling/greater chance of dropping it. Little cameras such as those mentioned can readily be used one handed and have a hole to attach a neckstrap or at least a wrist loop - vital for outdoorsy snapping I reckon. Why don't smart phones have 'em?
 George Fisher 27 Nov 2017
In reply to felt:

I have an Ixus HS 220 sitting on my desk that I don’t need. It’s in pretty good condition. 2x batteries, box, manuals all there.

You can have it for £45 posted if you would like.

OP felt 27 Nov 2017
In reply to George Fisher:

Thanks, have mailed you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...