UKC

Alaska / Yukon treks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveb2006 27 Nov 2017
Hello,
A bit of a broad question but possibly going to Alaska or Yukon with my wife in September (but can be flexible on this) - looking for some not too arduous day or multi day walks. Backpack or stay at lodges. Ideally ones that dont require a lot of pre booking / permits - maybe Canada / Yukon best in this respect. (looked at Chilkoot Trail but seems to require a lot of booking well in advance and Sept may be a bit late).

So any recommendations that roughly fit the above criteria?

Cheers
Steve
 philipjardine 28 Nov 2017
In reply to steveb2006:

for alaska try looking at the mountain club of alaska website. they have a monthly newsletter ("scree) which i think you can download if you arent a member. membership is very cheap and lets you stay in their (simple, unguarded) huts for things like the Eklutna traverse

For the yukon try the alpine club of canada yukon facebook group. lots of knowledge in there. or try http://www.yukonhiking.ca/

you have probably realised there are direct europe to whitehorse/anchorage flights in the summer (from germany)
cb294 28 Nov 2017
In reply to steveb2006:

I have done fantastic multi day hikes in the Brooks Range. September can still be great, when the Tundra turns red and gold (or, with a bit of bad luck, white...). No lodges, though, all camping, Grizzly bear country.

As an easier alternative, the coast south of Anchorage is also worth a visit, there are some good multi day hikes on the Seward peninsula/Kenai Fjords NP. Temperate rainforest, bird migration, beluga whales, bears chasing the salmon run (possibly better in August). IIRC there are a couple of cabins available in summer.

Yukon is probably better by canoe, 10 to 12 days from Whitehorse to Dawson.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...