UKC

Would you prefer to send...The Nose, Everest or Project Hard...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wildabeast 27 Nov 2017

Lets just say - perfect conditions, safe ascent and descent, at the limit of your grade, great partner, beers after with beautiful men/women. Which would you prefer to top out. - or add to the list!

The Nose.. 5.14a

Everest SE Ridge.. hard as f

The Eiger 1938 route.. ED2

Midnight Lightening.. V8

Project Hard/Silence.. 9C

Just for fun
Post edited at 20:20
 profitofdoom 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

If by 'send' you mean 'climb', then - The Eiger 1938 route. No beers afterwards though please
 AndyC 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

Any one of the above which doesn't require spending time with folk who use "send" in this context. At least you didn't start post with 'So'!
 john arran 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

... but those have all been climbed already, so couldn't possibly offer the best adventure.
 snoop6060 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

To be honest my perfect day would finally be doing the flying arete at almscliff which is f*ckin 6b! As much as 9c sounds ace, it's a tenner a pint in Norway so no way on god's green earth I'd ever have my best day there!
OP Wildabeast 27 Nov 2017
In reply to AndyC:

Excuse the use of send, ran out of letters in the title, prioritized "..." instead of using "climb". Shoot me but I am a real fan of aesthetics.
 Greasy Prusiks 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

Onsight free solo of Silence please. (Ideally in the wet, in trainers and with a rucksack).

I'd then sign sponsorship deals with Coca-Cola, McDonald's and Tate and Lyle, then retire to the Cayman Islands whilst enjoying the resulting UKC treads.
 bouldery bits 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

Everest SE ridge.

Lifetime of after dinner speaking.
 aostaman 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

Cenotaph Corner. Always wanted to do it. 2018 is the year as I will be 60!
 Michael Gordon 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

Out of those, definitely either The Nose or Eiger. I guess the former will be busier
 Graeme Hammond 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

put a bouldering mat under the nose and call it highball

there was once a video/article (one here?? link??) of a guy bouldering with a mat suspended below him so as he traversed the mat moves with him and is always just below him or no matter how high he is the mat is always only just below him. I think the same thing could be applied to the Nose.

In a magazine once there was a cartoon about 2 guys "bouldering" the nose, sat on a porter ledge half way up. when another team passes by they tell them if you look closely you can see their mat on the valley floor. Only really they dropped all their kit but thought it was better to be boulderers than incompetent big wallers
 Shani 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

> Lets just say - perfect conditions, safe ascent and descent, at the limit of your grade, great partner, beers after with beautiful men/women. Which would you prefer to top out. - or add to the list!

> The Nose.. 5.14a

> Everest SE Ridge.. hard as f

> The Eiger 1938 route.. ED2

> Midnight Lightening.. V8

> Project Hard/Silence.. 9C

> Just for fun

To meet UKC T's & C's, this list MUST include Indian Face and Three Pebble Slab.
 Martin Bennett 27 Nov 2017
In reply to AndyC:

> Any one of the above which doesn't require spending time with folk who use "send" in this context. At least you didn't start post with 'So'!

Pity I couldn't like this twice! Thank you.
 DerwentDiluted 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

My favourite thing to send? - brown paper parcels tied up with string.
 olddirtydoggy 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

Sending, I'll say an invoice as the results end in great financial success. Changing the topic for your thread to climbing I'd say the Nose as the rock out there is just so damn good to climb on.
cb294 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

Eiger, Nose, not interested in the others (Everest maybe, but I value my brain).

CB
 mrphilipoldham 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

Have a dislike for the use of the word ‘send’.. but as it’s a good question regardless, the 1938 route!
In reply to Wildabeast:

The Nose and the '38 Eiger, because

> The Nose.. 5.14a
- hardly anybody can free climb the Nose without pulling gear (I'd like to climb it at 5.8/C2 spending a few days)

> Everest SE Ridge.. hard as f
- same: hardly anybody can scale Everest without supplementary oxygen (and too expensive for me)

> The Eiger 1938 route.. ED2
- there is nothing safe about this route, but with a bit of luck...

> Midnight Lightening.. V8
- f*ck if I can climb that hard

> Project Hard/Silence.. 9C
- it's 9c, not 9C - and f*ck if I can climb that hard

Andy Moles 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

I'd like to send Everest.

Any route, with or without oxygen.

So that when non-mountaineers ask that question they always ask, over and over again,

"Have you sent Everest?"
"Have you sent Everest?"

I can say finally say "Yes."
 GrahamD 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Andy Moles:

> So that when non-mountaineers ask that question they always ask, over and over again,

> "Have you sent Everest?"

You can secretly mock them, surely ? everyone knows you conquer Everest.
 Goucho 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

Having done The Nose (though obviously not free) the 38' route on the Eiger, and failed on Midnight Lightning on more than one occasion in my prime - god knows how polished it must now be, especially on the bottom section - and would need a winch and bosuns chair to get up a 9c, it would have to be Everest SE Ridge.

But, if I were to put myself on that kind of gruelling and risky venture, I think I'd choose the Magic Line on K2 for a more rewarding and inspiring route on a much more beautiful and dramatic mountain.
OP Wildabeast 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Shani:

how can I forget three pebble slab!
Deadeye 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Wildabeast:

What is this strange post upon this nice Braxit, religion, cycling, IT and economics message board?

Nose. Because of, well, reasons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...