UKC

Roof box for skis?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 29 Nov 2017

Has anybody got recommendations for a reasonably priced roof box for a hatchback to fit at least 3 pairs of skis up to 180cms? Any idea what external length would normally be long enough for those skis?

I've got Thule bars but I think they are compatible with most brands.
 HeMa 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Generally speaking, Thule makes some stellar boxes... but with a high premium.

Mont Blanc as rather good, and a lot less dough than the Thule.

Not sure what is available in UK though.

For 180 skis, you'll want the normal lenght. So a tad over 2m. If someone makes a 190 or so box, it should also work... but AFAIK it's either full lenght or a tad over a meter (not really suited for skis).

As for the bars, the rectangle ones will work with pretty much all boxes. Wing and Aero-bars might not (they might require wide bar fastening kits, or the sliding t-nut kind of kit).
 summo 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Our Thule box has very little storage space lost to construction, just a couple of cm. It does taper a little at the corners, but unless you are looking at fitting loads of skis in I wouldn't worry, just allow 5cm from stated size. I'll have a look and see what model ours is later, my 175 skis fit in easily.
 rj_townsend 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

It's worth considering the Thule ski carriers instead of a roof box. They're a lot easier to store when not being used, and equally as secure.

I've an oldish set which need to be on square bars - don't think they'd fit to aero bars (although new versions may have changed).
 HeMa 29 Nov 2017
In reply to rj_townsend:

> don't think they'd fit to aero bars (although new versions may have changed).

New models from Thule are indeed compatible with both Aero and Wingbars.
 kevin stephens 29 Nov 2017
In reply to rj_townsend:

> It's worth considering the Thule ski carriers instead of a roof box. They're a lot easier to store when not being used, and equally as secure.

> I've an oldish set which need to be on square bars - don't think they'd fit to aero bars (although new versions may have changed).

But not great for protecting skis and bindings on long journeys especially on Britain’s salt covered winter roads
OP Postmanpat 29 Nov 2017
In reply to HeMa:

Anybody know if Kamei boxes are compatible with aero wing bars?
 HeMa 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

At least some mention that they are compatible with T-track adaptors. So changes are high that you can make them work with Thule Wingbars.
 Dave B 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

I bought from here

https://www.1roofbox.co.uk/

But I wouldn't recommend it. Product is ok, but not thule quality by a long way. A bit too easy for it to be damaged in delivery.

Delivery is From the factory in eastern Europe.

Returns challenging, but company helpful where it could be.

LastBoyScout 29 Nov 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

> But not great for protecting skis and bindings on long journeys especially on Britain’s salt covered winter roads

Not directed at you specifically, but always strikes me as an odd comment in these sort of situations. You presumably have no problem with bashing them over ice and rocks and whatever else both on and off-piste - not to mention getting trampled in the lift queues

But I hear what you're saying about the UK's ludicrously liberal use of salt because the average muppet here doesn't use winter tyres and can't work out how to drive slower when it's cold and icy. It's a wonder anything grows in spring.

Says the man who carts surfboards around in lovely, padded bags - although those are mainly to keep the wax from getting everywhere/covered in muck.
 kevin stephens 29 Nov 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:

yes indeed, I was purely concerned over impact of salt, as I thought the OP was intending UK use, or travelling from the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...