UKC

Will Trump get his State visit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 29 Nov 2017
What signals do we send to the world if we either allow or block Trump's State Visit to the UK?
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't think it's still being called a State Visit. I think it was downgraded a few weeks ago (probably because the Palace didn't want to be associated with something so deeply divisive and unpopular) ? ?
 jkarran 30 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

In one form or another of course he will. Our European bridges are ablaze. The government can't afford to torch another. He'll just be hidden from the public behind a security cordon and surrounded by sycophants and professional arse lickers (as he is in America) for a few days.
jk
Moley 30 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

They have just mentioned on the news that the invitation comes from the Queen, so she is the one in a difficult position - should she meddle in politics?
I would expect it to carry on in some form.
 stubbed 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Moley:

I think the Queen might be unhappy about it, but she has to do what the government tells her to basically.
I say bring it on. Let's see the reactions & protests.
 wbo 30 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming: I'm surprised hes let in the country.

Trangia 30 Nov 2017
In reply to stubbed:

> I think the Queen might be unhappy about it, but she has to do what the government tells her to basically.

> I say bring it on. Let's see the reactions & protests.

Yes, I think it should go ahead, and the country should encourage the biggest crowd ever to come out and line the streets, so that they can silently turn their backs on the procession as it passes.

Might not do our trade prospects with the USA much good though, or maybe it would, because it seems he is despised by a very large number of Americans too.
 stubbed 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

This is a time when I'd be proud of trade prospects being damaged
 Derry 30 Nov 2017
In reply to jkarran:

> In one form or another of course he will. Our European bridges are ablaze. The government can't afford to torch another.

By the time brexit has finally come around, surely Trump will be either impeached or nearing the end of his first (and only) term in office. So it might only be a bridge charring rather than burning surely.

OP The Lemming 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Derry:

Trump will get two terms, provided he puts his name forward.

As for entering the UK, isn't there a law stopping people entering who incite violence or advocate hate speech?
 jkarran 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Derry:

> By the time brexit has finally come around, surely Trump will be either impeached or nearing the end of his first (and only) term in office. So it might only be a bridge charring rather than burning surely.

Possibly but I don't think anyone should discount the real possibility of a second term if he remains fit to run for it (fit here used in the loosest possible way with a little bit of sick in my throat). Still, I think there's a good chance the brexit process will still be rumbling on in 7 years so who knows!
jk
 Hat Dude 30 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

They should issue the invite; then as The Star Spangled Banner is played as he steps off Airforce One, Theresa and the rest of the waiting dignitaries take a knee.
pasbury 30 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> Trump will get two terms, provided he puts his name forward.

I fear you are right.
 mypyrex 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:
> ...encourage the biggest crowd ever to come out and line the streets, so that they can silently turn their backs on the procession as it passes.

One of Trump's biggest problems is that he cannot take criticism. He is quite thin skinned and I'd be interested to see what his reaction would be if what you suggest were to take place.

Certainly I would personally welcome the opportunity to do so.

I'd love the Duke of Edinburgh to come out with one of his trademark comments, maybe about his hair do or his constant use of twitter
Post edited at 11:40
JMGLondon 30 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Let him come, let people protest, and let the American people watch it.

Our relationship with America will persist beyond Trump. Important to stick with them through this mess.
 GrahamD 30 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I think Trump's visit should consist of a London Lord Mayor's banquet.
Removed User 30 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I think it should go ahead. It should be regarded as an opportunity to educate the phuqwit.

Show him round a few hospitals to show him how a health service can care for everyone in the country at a cost per head of 1/4 the cost of his phuqed up US system. Take him out on patrol with a few unarmed policemen to show him the effect of gun control. Take him to a few different community centres in ethnically diverse cities to show him how we live together and how Muslims aren't a bunch of murdering bastards as he would have his gullible supporters think.

Stuff like that.
 Timmd 30 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
> One of Trump's biggest problems is that he cannot take criticism. He is quite thin skinned and I'd be interested to see what his reaction would be if what you suggest were to take place.

> Certainly I would personally welcome the opportunity to do so.

> I'd love the Duke of Edinburgh to come out with one of his trademark comments, maybe about his hair do or his constant use of twitter

On facebook I came across an event being arranged for people to go and jeer at him (when he eventually turns up). It might have been to moon him or for people to turn their backs, but definitely one of the three.

It wasn't something I made sure to remember accurately.
Post edited at 13:25
pasbury 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I'd happily show him my arse.
 Andy Johnson 30 Nov 2017
In reply to jkarran:
I agree that he is likely to be re-elected if he runs.

It often seems to me that the US public now view the presidential term as a one-time-only eight year appointment with the opportunity to get rid half way through.
Post edited at 14:19
 Timmd 30 Nov 2017
In reply to pasbury:
> I'd happily show him my arse.

I read of somewhere, a dictatorship, where they were getting annoyed with the sarcastic applause which people were greeting them with each time they arranged to 'make a speech to the people'.
Post edited at 14:34
Clauso 30 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Jonathan Pie would like him to visit:

youtube.com/watch?v=Klr7j6LmBXY&
 wbo 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Andy Johnson: I don't think he'd get reelected. Hes got bad numbers and a lot of people are pretty dissatisfied. So far his base is holding up, but only at 38% ish and three years of tax increases, worsening healthcare and general incompetence could kill that. Let's see what some more local and midterms tell us. Watch the Ray Moore election - anything less than a strong victory is a bad sign for Trump

Unless his two terms become the sort which have time off for good behaviour

Jimbocz 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Removed User:
> I think it should go ahead. It should be regarded as an opportunity to educate the phuqwit.

> Show him round a few hospitals to show him how a health service can care for everyone in the country at a cost per head of 1/4 the cost of his phuqed up US system. Take him out on patrol with a few unarmed policemen to show him the effect of gun control. Take him to a few different community centres in ethnically diverse cities to show him how we live together and how Muslims aren't a bunch of murdering bastards as he would have his gullible supporters think.

> Stuff like that.

I think you are missing the most depressing aspect of Trump era politics, the fact that truth and living proof of the kind you talk about simply makes no difference. If it doesn't fit their world view, it's fake news and they just double down harder on their beliefs. it's so depressing as an American to think that a high percentage of your country men can't even listen to reason any more.
Post edited at 14:58
Removed User 30 Nov 2017
In reply to wbo:

I think the democrats need someone very inspiring to win, and Bernie is getting on a bit, otherwise Trump may well do a second term if he chooses to. As the last election showed, what is actually going on means zilch to the US electorate, I mean FFS if they can vote for him once they can vote for anything. It's not like he was any different prior to becoming president. The other and more likely scenario is for him to spark a war, because historically Americans never throw out war presidents.
Jimbocz 30 Nov 2017
In reply to wbo:
The tax rises are being structured so the bite on the poorest won't be felt until after Trumps first term. Even the ending of Obamcare was carefully set up so that people wouldn't actually lose their health care until after his term.

Other than biblical storms and gun massacres, the common man still doesn't know that Trump is screwing them.
 Blue Straggler 01 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> Trump will get two terms, provided he puts his name forward.

How old is he now?
 aln 01 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I was thinking a mass golden shower would be good. But then I remembered he likes that kinda thing
 Big Ger 01 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:
> Might not do our trade prospects with the USA much good though, or maybe it would, because it seems he is despised by a very large number of Americans too.

This is the nub of it, isn't it? I thought the US reputation abroad reached its nadir with George the Chimp. However Trump seems to have drawn even my most fervent Republican chums into loathing him, no mean feat.

I do not think that the "welcome" he receives, no matter how pointed, will do us any harm.
Post edited at 01:44
 sg 01 Dec 2017
In reply to JMGLondon:

> Let him come, let people protest, and let the American people watch it.

There's a problem here in that almost none of Trump's voters really follow international news.
Removed User 01 Dec 2017
In reply to sg:

> There's a problem here in that almost none of Trump's voters really follow international news.

This is true, and the news they do listen to is generally bespoke. I'm more concerned about what the rest of the world thinks about us though. I love the idea of silence and turned backs but that's never going to happen so we should make as much noise as possible so the entire world hears it, for the sake of our own dignity.
OP The Lemming 01 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

On the news last night reporters were suggesting that British MP's should treat and deal with Trump in the sam way that his own staff treat him.

And that is to carry on with business around him. His own staff basically ignore him, what he says and does, and just run the country.

How did the USA get a petulant child on a permanent Bring Your Child to work Day?

We've all probably been in jobs or offices where the staff carry their boss and just get on with the job because the only alternative is to quit.

But you can't run a country like the USA is doing because what the boss is saying is being seen and heard by millions of people around the world.

That can't be good?
 Blue Straggler 01 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

The Daily Telegraph reports that the "working visit" (NOT a State visit) has been "put off"

Can't read whole article without a subscription but given that everyone always screamingly demands a link, here is a link.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/30/donald-trumps-working-visit-uk-d...

In reply to The Lemming:

As long as the Tories are determined to have Brexit and Trump is President we can't piss him off unless we really want to melt down economically. One thing that is certain about Trump is he is takes things personally and bears grudges for a long time.

The Chinese and French showed the way: give him the full state visit with maximum pomp, really stroke his ego, he is far more interested in feeling important than the economically important things like the terms of trade deals. Use that to our advantage and get the Royals to earn their money with the whole Buckingham Palace and gold plated carriages thing.
Andy Gamisou 01 Dec 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> but given that everyone always screamingly demands a link

Oh really? Got a link to back up that proposition?

Offwidth 01 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Interesting article:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/01/trump-gossip-columnist-medi...

Arguably the biggest possible news fuss that can be spun back to the support base is more important.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...