UKC

Is it "in" or is it too thin?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pay Attention 04 Dec 2017
With all due respect to the recent ethical dialogues on Lake District Conditions and the solo ascent of Kinder Downfall, here is a video of Czech dry tooling queen Lucy Hrozova on a route in Colorado.

youtube.com/watch?v=oJN4oRzHMcU&
https://wspinanie.pl/film/lucie-hrozova-na-saphira-m15-2/

Ethics enthusiasts will notice she manages to avoid all possible icefalls until the last moment when she moves from unfeasible rock moves to an abalakov on the icefall.
 d_b 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Pay Attention:

Ethics aside, that kind of climbing is entirely theoretical for the likes of me.
 Misha 04 Dec 2017

Thanks, good footage. A lot of the moves don't look that bad but there are some heinous ones like the drop down at 1:15 (that kind of move is very hard to hold because it really shock loads the weight bearing arm), a lot of the placements aren't great (doesn't look like they're all nicely drilled slots) and it's damn long!
Deadeye 04 Dec 2017

That video mostly made me think "isn't metals technology amazing"
Removed User 04 Dec 2017

Where I come from - if it's warm enough for a t-shirt then it's not in. Obviously I'm not from the North-east like...
 el diablo 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Removed User:
Aye, if it's not cold enough for me to wear my Buffalo, it's not in!
 TobyA 04 Dec 2017

It's interesting how Vail is looking quite like a climbing wall with all those insitu QDs in the routes. This route seems to be a lip traverse that does it best to avoid ice climbing! Do you know if it starts up one of the lower pillars? I was blown away when I first saw the pictures of Jeff Lowe on Octopussy there, upside down moves, pegs for runners - but those crazy moves to get from one icicle to another, then back to screws to protect the upper bits. Different game really.
OP Pay Attention 04 Dec 2017
In reply to TobyA:

You've raised an interesting point there, about the climbing wall look.

vimeo.com/113217681

a video of Angelika Rainer on Kama Sutra (graded D13). To me the rock looks very like the sport bolted section at Malham. Maybe Malham in some years will be a dry tooling arena ....
 Misha 04 Dec 2017
It’s a bit steeper than Malham! Actually looks like a decent bit of rock, unlike the British tooling routes which are (rightly) consigned to grotty quarries. Of course tooling is kind of artificial, especially on drilled slots, but it’s good fun and great training, whether for Scottish winter climbing, ice climbing or international comps. Some people don’t see the point, fair enough. Each to their own...
 aln 04 Dec 2017

That was very strange.
> "Is it "in" or is it too thin?"

In days passed, that's what was known as a lady's 'excuse me...?'.

T.
Post edited at 23:25
OP Pay Attention 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> In days passed, that's what was known as a lady's 'excuse me...?'.

> T.

I wouldn't know what you mean by that .... *honestly*!

Post edited at 00:48
 planetmarshall 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Removed User:

> Where I come from - if it's warm enough for a t-shirt then it's not in. Obviously I'm not from the North-east like...

If you have to wear more than a t-shirt, you're not working hard enough...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...