UKC

This makes me ashamed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 05 Dec 2017
This makes me ashamed of my country and my government. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/dec/01/man-detained-threatened-wit...
And apart from anything else, why are we wasting taxpayers' money on persecuting such people?
In reply to Rog Wilko:

"He was forced to stop work in 2015 when he applied for a British passport and the Home Office’s immigration enforcement contractor, Capita, wrote to him informing him that he had no right to stay in the UK and would be removed"

Ah; it's all suddenly become clear: Crapita. Again.

Lazy, box-ticking automatons.

It's the consequence of rigidly following ill-considered, dogmatic immigration policy.
Lusk 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Stories like this just increase the utter contempt I have for those that supposedly govern us.
The overwhelming proportion of people are decent, and they are who make our country.
I'm not ashamed of Britain.
 Ciro 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> Stories like this just increase the utter contempt I have for those that supposedly govern us.

> The overwhelming proportion of people are decent, and they are who make our country.

> I'm not ashamed of Britain.

"taking back control of our borders" has been a pretty popular position of late...
J1234 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Obviously sympathy to Mr Bryan, but how is a complex society, supposed to deal with people that cannot/will not fill in
I doubt there is any country in the world that would have dealt with him any differently.

I fell this line, is worthy of the Sun and Daily Mail and just muck raking

Last year police and immigration officials arrived early on a Sunday morning with a battering ram, ready to knock down his front door (he opened it).

The Police arrived prepared for any eventuality as you would expect a professional force to.
 bouldery bits 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> Stories like this just increase the utter contempt I have for those that supposedly govern us.

> The overwhelming proportion of people are decent, and they are who make our country.

> I'm not ashamed of Britain.

I agree wholeheartedly with your viewpoint.

MG 05 Dec 2017
In reply to J1234:

> Obviously sympathy to Mr Bryan, but how is a complex society, supposed to deal with people that cannot/will not fill in

Fill in?

bouldery bits 05 Dec 2017
In reply to MG:

> Fill in?

Yep. Won't do forms. Completely refuses.
J1234 05 Dec 2017
In reply to MG:
Yes, sorry. Fill in forms. He did not, could not engage with society, and this caused his problems. You will note that Britain did an amnesty for all Pre 1971, so hardly a totalitarian state. Its a shame, but Mr Bryan is the architect of his problem.
Try not filling in your Tax forms or many others, and you would risk criminal action.
Post edited at 19:45
 MG 05 Dec 2017
In reply to J1234:

I see now.

I’d think a few questions and warnings before throwing the book at him would be appropriate, although I suspect the Guardian doesn’t give the whole story so maybe that occurred.
J1234 05 Dec 2017
In reply to MG:
Do you want a real laugh. Guess who is the Brother in Law of the Lefty Journalist who wrote the piece. Talk about living in a nepotistic society dominated by a ruling elite. Have a guess before googling it.
Post edited at 20:02
 MG 05 Dec 2017
In reply to J1234:

Bloody hell!!
J1234 05 Dec 2017
In reply to MG:

PMSL, you could not make it up.
 nathan79 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

My dad could have been a similar case to Mr Bryan.
Like him, my dad came over in the '60s to join his parents and his younger brother. When he applied for a British passport 5 or so years ago, it came to light that he didn't have indefinite leave to remain as my grandparents hadn't applied for it for him (they had done so for his younger brother who came over with them as a baby).
Thankfully my dad's a canny sort and had years worth of the necessary extensive paperwork the wanted as proof he'd been living here as long as he has and is now has citizenship.

Hopefully Anthony Bryan gets it all sorted out soon.
Malarkey 05 Dec 2017
In reply to J1234:

It's got very little to do with not filling in forms. There are numerous other cases - such as that of Paulette Wilson mentioned in the article - where there is a paper trail back to the early 70s. He has children and is employed too. So unless he doesn't pay tax or Ni or send his kids to school or hospital I doubt he has stayed off the radar.

The home office are also in the news right now for interpreting academic time spent abroad (archaeology trips) as time out of the country. I've met lots of people who have had similar problems with the home office being utter bellends. They clearly have an agenda sent from the top to be as difficult and obtuse as they can get away with.
 Ian W 05 Dec 2017
In reply to J1234:

I'd guessed at various labour types, but would never have thought of a Johnson!
In reply to J1234:
> Yes, sorry. Fill in forms. He did not, could not engage with society, and this caused his problems

I didn't spot that in the article. Have I missed something, other than he doesn't have records predating 1971?

Officialdom seems to have destroyed his records.
Post edited at 22:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...