UKC

Polish Mayonnaise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 05 Dec 2017

If you're in your local supermarket ,with Polish food aisle (any supermarket) haha...

Treat yourself to Winiary Majonez.

2 400g jars for £2 .

You WILL thank me later.its awesome and blows other well known brands out of the water imo.

Post edited at 18:32
 Heike 05 Dec 2017
In reply to andymac:

A lot of the Polish things are very good - sausages, milk products, pickles such as gherkins, sauerkraut( it can be very close or identical to German stuff which I like "strangely enough being born German haha"). Love to go to supermarkets where you get the Polish aisles - there are a few on the way home from Glasgow to Dunblane which are very well stocked!
andymac 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Heike:

Yep I'm a gherkin fiend .

The mayonnaise is lovely.
 mrphilipoldham 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Heike:

Pierogi...
andymac 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Heike:

My dream visit would be to a Russian Deli in New York that was on tv recently.

God,it was like a healthy food heaven .amazing.
 nathan79 05 Dec 2017
In reply to andymac:

I used to enjoy stocking up on Tyskie lager from the Polish aisle. Then it became more popular and they moved it next to the other beer and bumped up the price.
 gethin_allen 05 Dec 2017
In reply to nathan79:

> I used to enjoy stocking up on Tyskie lager from the Polish aisle. Then it became more popular and they moved it next to the other beer and bumped up the price.

The Poles only export (or we only import) the crap beers IMO. I was seeing a woman from Warsaw for a while so spending a good while over there, and the beer and general food tbh was brilliant and for me nice and cheap, even in Warsaw but especially so when we headed out into the country.

The only downer for me was that they do like to pickle pretty much everything and I'm not a fan of anything pickled.
In reply to andymac:

> Winiary Majonez

I bought some of their garlic mayonnaise, which was pretty good. My local Sainsbury's seem to have decided no-one wants their 'Best' garlic mayo... Or any garlic mayo, come to that.

I recalled that Winiary were part of a multinational. A quick google says it's Nestle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winiary_%28company%29
Removed User 05 Dec 2017
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> Pierogi...

YES
 krikoman 05 Dec 2017
In reply to andymac:

Polish Mayonnaise - I thought is was a euphemism.
In reply to andymac:

I'm sure it good.. but is it ACTUALLY as good as Heinz?
 Motown 06 Dec 2017
In reply to andymac:

Kabanos (smoky thin dry sausage), and their strong beers are my favourite - Warka Strong for preference. They seem to make an 8% beer that isn't sickly. Got to be a good thing.

Never seen them in the UK, but kotlet mielony (I think) is really good. It's basically a home made burger.
 felt 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

All mayo other than Hellmans tastes like salad cream to me.

Interested to try this one, but both Polish shops in towns closed after a year or so.
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

> I'm sure it good.. but is it ACTUALLY as good as Heinz?

Lots of Mayo is as good a Heinz.
Now, if you'd said Hellman's, then that would be some thing to live up to!

)
 mangoletse 06 Dec 2017
In reply to andymac:

I've also been buying the 'Thomy' mayonnaise in tubes when it was in the 'world food' section of Sainsburys. Also a Nestle brand I think but didn't notice until I'd stockpiled loads. Also blows other well known brands out of the water IMO
paulcarey 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Heike:
yum, sauerkraut......
 Sharp 06 Dec 2017
In reply to andymac:

I always use it, shines the silverware up nicely
In reply to felt:

> All mayo other than Hellmans tastes like salad cream to me.

> Interested to try this one, but both Polish shops in towns closed after a year or so.

Sainsburys own brand French mayonnaise better, cheaper.
 felt 06 Dec 2017
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

salad cream!
 Neil Williams 06 Dec 2017
In reply to mangoletse:

> I've also been buying the 'Thomy' mayonnaise in tubes when it was in the 'world food' section of Sainsburys. Also a Nestle brand I think but didn't notice until I'd stockpiled loads. Also blows other well known brands out of the water IMO

The tube is much more practical than other container types, it tends to keep longer because so little gets exposed to the air.
Moley 06 Dec 2017
In reply to andymac:

I'm working my way (rapidly) through a giant jar of Polish gherkins and some of their other food is great, not knowing what most of it is I simply buy and hope for the best usually great but they do like salt a bit too much for me.
I'll certainly give the mayo a try.

But best of all is some of their lumps of cheap, garlicky sausage, absolutely brilliant bait for fishing, chub and barbel love it and I always have some in the freezer.
 Oliver Smaje 07 Dec 2017
In reply to andymac:

Polish bacon (boczek) is feckin amazing too!
 mangoletse 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

Totally agree - far less messy and not contaminated with breadcrumbs etc. in our house too!
In reply to felt:

No.
 Simon80 10 Dec 2017
In reply to andymac:
Kielecki mayonnaise is even better!
Post edited at 10:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...