UKC

Alpine climbing without experience?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lydiab123 07 Dec 2017
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone might be able to give me an opinion on whether it would be possible to climb Grossglockner in Austria this time of year inexperienced? We do a lot of hiking but this has all been UK based so far (such as the 3 peaks) and we haven't used mountaineering equipment such as crampons, ice axes etc. We would be more than happy to use a guide but are struggling to find one.

If this isn't feasible, does anyone known of any other hikes in the area which are slightly more doable during winter?

Thank you in advance!
 EarlyBird 07 Dec 2017
In reply to lydiab123:

My opinion is you need a bit more experience - and this is probably not the best time of year to be getting that experience in the the high mountains. I would do your research, get some experience winter mountaineering in the UK and head to the Alps next summer - maybe tie that trip in with a course or go with a more experienced group.
 tehmarks 07 Dec 2017
In reply to lydiab123:

http://www.summitpost.org/normal-route-grossglockner/836668 should give you some information on the normal route. I'd very much caution against doing it on your own, in winter with no alpine or winter experience. On a glacier on your own is not the place to be learning how to use an axe and crampons, or figuring out how to rescue your mate from a crevasse. And if nothing else, it'll very likely be under snow and not particularly fun!

I'd say hanging on until summer is more sensible for a first trip.
 tehmarks 07 Dec 2017
In reply to lydiab123:

(And if you're under 30, trying to get onto a Conville Course in Chamonix would be an excellent option for gaining some of the basic skills you need to keep yourself safe in alpine terrain)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...