UKC

Easyjet baggage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 07 Dec 2017
Can anyone help....last month I went on an easyjet flight and paid £4 to put my cabin bag in the hold.......could I do this and then sneak another bag on into the cabin?
 Toerag 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:

So you'd carry 2 'cabin bags' through security? Can you do that? Also, isn't the £4 job done at boarding when they'd see your other bag?
 earlsdonwhu 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Irrelevant to security but I have seen people challenged and charged at the gate itself.

Many people do seem to flout the system which is one reason there's rarely enough space in the lockers.
 Dauphin 08 Dec 2017

i) Check it you amateur traveling scum.

ii) busy flights they often let you check it for free and carry a small handbag / laptop bag.

But mainly see i).

D
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY: You were had! Normally Easyjet will let you put a carry-on bag in the hold for free - we did this last week from Malaga.

Whether you could sneak another one on? Definitely an "accessory" bag, as that's actually permitted. A full size bag? You could try but it would require you to be dishonest with the check in staff and be sneaky enough that they didn't see your "2nd" bag.

Šljiva 09 Dec 2017
In reply to Alasdair Fulton: They charge you the £4 now at Gatwick, no free option, and it’s all automatic, machine check in so you could probably get away with it. Coming back from another airport if they still have real people checking you in might be another matter.

bigbobbyking 10 Dec 2017
In reply to Šljiva:

Can you clarify: we're you forced to pay £4 to put your bag in the hold, or could you have chosen to carry it on board?

The carry on baggage is so busy I think they should start charing for overhead locker space and allowing 10kg bags in the hold for free. Would make getting on and off the plane so much quicker
 timjones 10 Dec 2017
In reply to bigbobbyking:

> Can you clarify: we're you forced to pay £4 to put your bag in the hold, or could you have chosen to carry it on board?

> The carry on baggage is so busy I think they should start charing for overhead locker space and allowing 10kg bags in the hold for free. Would make getting on and off the plane so much quicker

Why the rush?

It can't be described as slow as it is.
 Neil Williams 10 Dec 2017
In reply to timjones:

The biggest improvement that they ever made to boarding/disembarking times on planes was by reverting to 2 sets of steps from the 1980s-1990s fad for a single airbridge and airports that hid the planes as if they were somehow embarrassed about them.

TBH, I think they should just revert to a 23kg hold bag being included in the fare, that evens it out enough. No need for awkward fees.
In reply to Toerag:
> So you'd carry 2 'cabin bags' through security? Can you do that? Also, isn't the £4 job done at boarding when they'd see your other bag?

The £4 thing is done at the check-in desk in advance, it used to be free but poorly publicised.

It's *£40* if they catch you out at the gate.

Yes, you'd probably get away with it. They might endorse your boarding card but you could always use a phone one or print two. But beware the risk of being charged £40 if, for example, at a smaller airport the same member of staff does both check-in and boarding - that is definitely the case at quite a few of the smaller places.
Post edited at 10:59
 timjones 10 Dec 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

> The biggest improvement that they ever made to boarding/disembarking times on planes was by reverting to 2 sets of steps from the 1980s-1990s fad for a single airbridge and airports that hid the planes as if they were somehow embarrassed about them.

> TBH, I think they should just revert to a 23kg hold bag being included in the fare, that evens it out enough. No need for awkward fees.

Evens what out?

I'm struggling to see what the problem is?
 dsh 10 Dec 2017

> Can anyone help....last month I went on an easyjet flight and paid £4 to put my cabin bag in the hold.......could I do this and then sneak another bag on into the cabin?

I flew easyJet last week and was allowed a cabin size suitcase and backpack on the plane. Paid a couple of quid for speedy boarding and had room for both.
In reply to timjones:
> Evens what out?
>
> I'm struggling to see what the problem is?

The fact that on most flights there is inadequate capacity in the overhead lockers for all the passengers to stow their hand luggage, even where bags that fit under the seat go there.
Post edited at 18:49
 timjones 10 Dec 2017

Are you the culprit with the huge bag

I don't think I have ever seen this happen.
 bigbobbyking 10 Dec 2017
In reply to timjones:

This happens on pretty much every short haul flight I've been on in the last two years...
 timjones 10 Dec 2017
In reply to bigbobbyking:

Have you got a huge bag too
In reply to timjones:

> Are you the culprit with the huge bag

No, I cough up so mine goes in the hold, all I have is a rucksack with laptop and coat in the overhead (where it has to go as I always sit in the exit row).

> I don't think I have ever seen this happen.

I guess you don't mostly take business flights? It has happened on just about every flight I've been on, but I mostly use business timed flights i.e. crack of dawn out Monday, late evening back Thurs/Fri.
 timjones 10 Dec 2017

You may benefit from my cunning plan to save the planet by banning suitcases with wheels and handles

It would undoubtedly save space in the overhead lockers as well as reducing the amount of fuel that is burned getting such fripperies airborne.
 earlsdonwhu 10 Dec 2017
In reply to timjones:

The amount of fuel used is far more based on the overweight passengers carried. A pilot friend told me recently that the airlines base their fuel calculations on the average weights of passengers about 30 years ago ...IIRC 12 stone for males and 10.5 for females. As a pilot regularly carrying package holiday passengers out of Birmingham he was convinced that none fitted into that profile any more!

There some details here on how you qualify for 2 bags in the cabin. One over head one under seat

http://www.easyjet.com/ejcms/cache/medialibrary/files/travel%20agent%20onli...
 timjones 11 Dec 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> The amount of fuel used is far more based on the overweight passengers carried. A pilot friend told me recently that the airlines base their fuel calculations on the average weights of passengers about 30 years ago ...IIRC 12 stone for males and 10.5 for females. As a pilot regularly carrying package holiday passengers out of Birmingham he was convinced that none fitted into that profile any more!

Part of the cunning is that the obese would be a bit slimmer if they actually picked their cases up and carried them
 Blue Straggler 11 Dec 2017
In reply to timjones:

> Part of the cunning is that the obese would be a bit slimmer if they actually picked their cases up and carried them

Or they'd be fatter, having incurred back injuries from all the lifting and been put out of action awhile...
 nufkin 11 Dec 2017

> The biggest improvement that they ever made to boarding/disembarking times on planes was by reverting to 2 sets of steps from the 1980s-1990s fad for a single airbridge and airports that hid the planes as if they were somehow embarrassed about them.

They could make it even quicker if they were stricter about boarding order, back rows forward and/or outer seats in etc. There's usually plenty of time before boarding to start arranging the queue appropriately. But maybe the saving would be more in passenger exasperation - which doesn't cost the airline anything - than time, and anyway would probably be scuppered by the people spending too long in duty-free arriving in a rush and mucking up the order
cap'nChino 11 Dec 2017
In reply to timjones:

> Why the rush?

You've clearly never gone through passport control at 2am with only 1 officer on duty and three A320 offloading their passengers ah the joys of Liverpool Airport.

> It can't be described as slow as it is.

Ferret 11 Dec 2017

Firstly you should pay for what you use... so if you need a hold bag and a cabin bag to transport what you require do the decent thing and pay for the hold bag...

Easyjet currently allow you to check in your hold bag and at that stage you can also check in your cabin bag for the sum of a few pounds. That used to be free and I often did it to reduce number of bags I needed to wrangle along with Children... i.e. check all suitcases and 3 out of our 4 cabin bags. Makes life in the airport easier, is no skin off my nose as I was going to have to get bags off conveyor belt anyway and it frees up locker space for others. Now that they have started charging for something that seemed to me to be beneficial to me and them I now keep the cabin bags with me. At the departure gate they will still happily take any bags you don't want in the plane and put them in the hold. That is still done free and I still do it as it's still easier than wrangling all the bags and kids....

None of that answers whether you can get away with blagging extra free baggage but I hope it clears up how the system is supposed to work. To be honest, I find easyjet pretty fair and uncomplicated on baggage and also they are lenient in terms of not causing me problems if I don't cause them any... I've never had any problems with one bag being 'overweight' and one under... in fact in the past I have often got away with a bit too much. But I don't think I take the P on what I do and I certainly don't try to get extra cases carried free....

I'd like them to go back to allowing cabin bags to be checked in for free though as they are clearly keen for people to do it to make boarding quicker and easier and stop so much faffing trying to cram all the cabin bags in that people try to get away with. It's blooming annoying the size of stuff that comes on board plane and then doesn't fit or takes up more room than is budgeted it - along with bagfulls of shopping, handbags bigger than my case, laptops etc etc.... Its all that stuff that makes getting on and off slow and stressful.
 Neil Williams 11 Dec 2017
In reply to nufkin:

> They could make it even quicker if they were stricter about boarding order, back rows forward and/or outer seats in etc.

They actually did a study of that when they moved to allocated seating, and found that it made little or no difference. Window then middle then aisle would, but it would involve splitting families so wouldn't be an option.
 timjones 11 Dec 2017
In reply to cap'nChino:

> You've clearly never gone through passport control at 2am with only 1 officer on duty and three A320 offloading their passengers ah the joys of Liverpool Airport.

I've spent my share of time queuing at airports, I've never found that rushing at the queues makes it feel any better.

A more relaxed approach keeps the blood pressure down
 profitofdoom 11 Dec 2017
In reply to timjones:

> Part of the cunning is that the obese would be a bit slimmer if they actually picked their cases up and carried them

Unless they were full of doughnuts (donuts?) as my bags invariably are
 Šljiva 11 Dec 2017
In reply to bigbobbyking: no, you didn’t have to check it, but if you wanted to it was £4.

Dauphin 15 Dec 2017
In reply to nufkin:

EasyJet boarding is a cluster. I always get speedy boarding but I don't care if I get on last - but please EasyJet FFS organise the embarkation. A month ago was stood on apron adjacent to aircraft for 15 minutes with a hundred others in the dark at Gatwick, as they let us through before cabin crew were ready for boarding.

Personal safety / Security situation, clearly no risk.

D
 yorkshireman 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

> EasyJet boarding is a cluster. I always get speedy boarding but I don't care if I get on last - but please EasyJet FFS organise the embarkation. A month ago was stood on apron adjacent to aircraft for 15 minutes with a hundred others in the dark at Gatwick, as they let us through before cabin crew were ready for boarding.

I fly from Lyon a lot on business and this is a big reason I don't fly EasyJet much. Standing outside in subzero temps this time of year isn't fun - Lufthansa and BA fly from the same new terminal but all have airbridges - I assume it costs the airlines extra?

That said, I generally find that EasyJet with Speedy Boarding is a less unpleasant experience than flying with legacy airlines in normal economy. At least budget airlines have to improve their food offering if they expect you to pay for it.
 Neil Williams 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

Not a big security risk as there are so many people / CCTV about that anyone running off would soon be seen. It'd be costly, though, as the airfield would presumably need shutting down until they were found and anything they had done had been discovered.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...