UKC

Not laughing at this is hard!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gribble 08 Dec 2017
And finally, some news that isn't doom and gloom. Well, not for most anyway.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-42271150
 Michael Hood 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

Failed attempt to get Darwin award
cb294 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

It would take a head of stone not to etc....

CB
 rogersavery 08 Dec 2017
 DerwentDiluted 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:
New power rating for microwaves. The T-watt.
Post edited at 09:25
 Trangia 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

You should feel sorry for him because his micro wave is now probably totally buggered and he'll have to buy a new one, unless he's got household contents insurance?
 wercat 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

This really is a case where something should be charged
 The Lemming 08 Dec 2017
In reply to wercat:

> This really is a case where something should be charged

But wasn't the plug removed from the mains after a dynamic risk assessment, removing the risk of a charge?
 wercat 08 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

very good
Lusk 08 Dec 2017
In reply to wercat:

> This really is a case where something should be charged

What tedious, boring world we'd be living in if you couldn't do anything daft without the threat of financial penalty.
Clauso 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

The man's clearly an imbecile. Why didn't he use a bucket instead?
MarkJH 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> What tedious, boring world we'd be living in if you couldn't do anything daft without the threat of financial penalty.

It isn't quite that simple as that given that he was producing the video to make money. It has been up less than a day, and already has over 800k views. That probably means he has already made a few hundred pounds from the video, and that number is will go up a fair bit (3M subscribers plus a fair bit of coverage in the news).

Offering a proportion of the video revenue to cover the rescue service costs for a very unnecessary callout would seem like the decent thing to do in this case.
 The Lemming 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Clauso:

> The man's clearly an imbecile. Why didn't he use a bucket instead?

Then how would he have got the straw in?

A microwave has a door.

Obviously
 The Lemming 08 Dec 2017
In reply to MarkJH:

And if it went wrong, then the funeral would have been covered too.
 The Lemming 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

Lets get serious for a moment.

What is the funniest accident you have seen?

I met a man who held onto a lit firework and was shocked when it went off in his hand.

Five minutes later I met a man who put a lit firework up his bottom.

We were all crying that night.
 FactorXXX 08 Dec 2017
In reply to wercat:

This really is a case where something should be charged

Maybe charge for Mountain Rescue as well?
After all, what kind of idiot knowingly puts themselves in positions of risk and danger that might need rescuing from...
 FactorXXX 08 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Five minutes later I met a man who put a lit firework up his bottom.

Now that you've told us about what you get up to in your private life, perhaps now, you could tell us what sort of funny things you've seen as an Ambulance Technician/Paramedic?

The Lemming 08 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Five minutes later I met a man who put a lit firework up his bottom.

I wish I could.

wercat 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Lusk:
you see this as being in the same category as sports activity, climbing, sailing, cycling?

As far as I see those are physical activities with an element of risk.

This was a risky activity with little forseeable benefit and almost certainly resulting in a significant threat to life and health

Almost certain to require intervention by people who may be needed in a genuine emergency
Post edited at 12:00
 wercat 08 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

can you not discriminate either between recreational activity that includes some risk and an activity that is almost certain to put you at risk and require emergency help?
 FactorXXX 08 Dec 2017
In reply to wercat:

can you not discriminate either between recreational activity that includes some risk and an activity that is almost certain to put you at risk and require emergency help?

The bloke made a mistake and needed help from the emergency services. Exactly the same as anyone who ventures out onto a crag or mountain and makes a mistake.
As for the recreational bit, maybe there should be a list of approved activities that warrant free rescue and people have to pay for rescue for activities not on that list?
 Mr Lopez 08 Dec 2017
In reply to MarkJH:

> It isn't quite that simple as that given that he was producing the video to make money. (...)

So people having an accident at work should pay for treatment out of their own pocket?

> Offering a proportion of the video revenue to cover the rescue service costs for a very unnecessary callout would seem like the decent thing to do in this case.

About 29% percent good enough? That'd be 20% tax and 9%NI, so unless he's committing tax fraud that's the proportion of revenue (- expenses) he's giving.
MarkJH 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> So people having an accident at work should pay for treatment out of their own pocket?

If the accident was due to extreme negligence, then it would seem unfair if they made money out of it! I'm not saying that they should be forced to give anything, but a donation of some sort (maybe an air ambulance charity) would be an appropriate gesture (in my opinion).
 angry pirate 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

It's a good job I don't work on the emergency services' switchboard. I'd have told him to plug the microwave in and use it to melt the polyfilla
 Clarence 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

Well as we all know from 1980s movies, microwaves either cause things to explode or mutate into something more powerful. Plugging the microwave in and setting it to high for 2 mins would solve the problem one way or another.
 The Lemming 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Clarence:

A Super Brummy mutation sort of Marvel hero?
 Chris Harris 08 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> The bloke made a mistake and needed help from the emergency services.

Interesting interpretation of the meaning of the word "mistake".

FactorXXX 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

Interesting interpretation of the meaning of the word "mistake".

Mistake as in he didn't think that his breathing tube would get blocked and that the polyfilla would set hard and start to crush his head. I'm sure some other groups of mates would have sorted the situation out without the need of the emergency services.
How is that different to a group of mates on a crag/mountain, where one of them is injured/suffering from hyperthermia and they decide to call out the emergency services to evacuate them? They didn't think that would happen and some groups would undoubtedly get themselves out of that pickle too, so no difference there.
Additionally, don't MR teams encourage early call outs as it means that any situation is handled when it is still relatively manageable?
 pec 08 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> The bloke made a mistake and needed help from the emergency services. Exactly the same as anyone who ventures out onto a crag or mountain and makes a mistake.

It's really not the same though is it. The vast majority of people who go into the mountains do so well prepared both in terms of equipment and experience and with a good idea of the potential risks involved and how to avoid them or get themselves out of trouble. Furthermore, mountain rescue often involves no cost to the taxpayer and even when it does (e.g. helicopter rescue) it doesn't take up the time of the emergency services.
Of course a few accidents do end up requiring hospital treatment but this has to be weighed against the huge health benefits, both mental and physical which it brings to participants, almost certainly saving the taxpayer money in the long run.

FWIW, I'm not arguing this bloke should be billed, we don't bill drug users whose risk taking brings no health benefits to the them whatsoever for example, but your comparison of cementing ones head into a microwave and going climbing is complete nonsense.
 earlsdonwhu 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

He may have made a mistake but could at least have the grace to show some embarrassment and remorse. Instead, all he is concerned about is the number of 'hits' which I gather brings him some remuneration.
World gone mad!

Old git
 wercat 08 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> The bloke did something deliberately that any right minded person would have realised would result in a life threatening situation. Moreover, one that would require the help of others to escape from.

Agreed
 Timmd 08 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:
''Interesting interpretation of the meaning of the word "mistake".''

> Mistake as in he didn't think that his breathing tube would get blocked and that the polyfilla would set hard and start to crush his head. I'm sure some other groups of mates would have sorted the situation out without the need of the emergency services.
> How is that different to a group of mates on a crag/mountain, where one of them is injured/suffering from hyperthermia and they decide to call out the emergency services to evacuate them? They didn't think that would happen and some groups would undoubtedly get themselves out of that pickle too, so no difference there.
> Additionally, don't MR teams encourage early call outs as it means that any situation is handled when it is still relatively manageable?

I agree with you.

One only has to look at the comments posted by readers on the Daily Mail website if it's something to do with an ice climber or winter mountaineer being rescued in Scotland, and there'll be loads of people saying that anybody stupid enough to put themselves in danger or take silly risks should have to pay for being rescued, or they'll say it's selfish to put oneself in danger and need to be rescued.

In the end there's no objectively 'acceptable risk', though it is towards the less thought through end of the spectrum. I value that our society is one where people who need help don't have to pay for it, too.
Post edited at 20:26
 WillRhodes 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

The video is rather awful: it becomes quite how unintelligent (for lack of any other fitting description) this man is - in case you hadn't realised already.
(the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY8gvu6h2Hc)

MarkJH 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> One only has to look at the comments posted by readers on the Daily Mail website if it's something to do with an ice climber or winter mountaineer being rescued in Scotland, and there'll be loads of people saying that anybody stupid enough to put themselves in danger or take silly risks should have to pay for being rescued, or they'll say it's selfish to put oneself in danger and need to be rescued.

Seems a little different when it is his job... To look at in another way, if a mountain guide had to call out MR because they decided not to carry a map and was led off the hill, you might think it a bit off if the guide then pocketed the fee from his clients, sold his story to the press, and then didn't give the team anything for their petrol. I'm not saying that people should be charged for being rescued, but good manners would suggest that you don't use it as an opportunity to make money for yourself.

Big Ger 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

> He said emergency services' time was not wasted, because "they saved my life".

I would disagree.
 Phil59 08 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

The man is an idiot.it was always going to end badly.No Question.
 FactorXXX 08 Dec 2017
In reply to wercat:

What I said: "The bloke made a mistake and needed help from the emergency services. Exactly the same as anyone who ventures out onto a crag or mountain and makes a mistake".

What you have misquoted that I said: The bloke did something deliberately that any right minded person would have realised would result in a life threatening situation. Moreover, one that would require the help of others to escape from.

You appear to have deliberately misquoted me in one of your replies.
Is that really in the spirit of the UKC forums? I don't personally think so, perhaps you do?

The Lemming 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Phil59:

> The man is an idiot.it was always going to end badly.No Question.

Really?

Be honest, which part was going to end badly?

He took the plug out of the wall.

FactorXXX 08 Dec 2017
In reply to pec:

It's really not the same though is it. The vast majority of people who go into the mountains do so well prepared both in terms of equipment and experience and with a good idea of the potential risks involved and how to avoid them or get themselves out of trouble.

Climbers do make mistakes though. They do miscalculate their abilities. They do get caught out with inadequate equipment when the weather changes. When does the behaviour go from responsible to irresponsible? Let me guess, climbers are out doing important meaningful activities and are therefore immune from such criticism as it's part and parcel of being a climber... Whereas, Polyfilla man is somehow automatically dismissed as irresponsible because he didn't carry out a risk assessment.

Furthermore, mountain rescue often involves no cost to the taxpayer and even when it does (e.g. helicopter rescue) it doesn't take up the time of the emergency services.

That makes it alright then! We're exceptionally lucky in the UK to have free rescue services and it's a good job that they're not as judgemental as some on here as they'd be continuously whinging to all and sundry about how a climber hurt themselves because a bit of gear ripped out. After all, what's the difference? If you're not capable of placing gear, then you shouldn't be climbing.
 Connorh 09 Dec 2017
In reply to MarkJH:

You get about $140 per 100k views. I Know from personal experience, although he may be on a higher CPM.
 8A machine elf 09 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

F*ck your capitalist markets
 FactorXXX 09 Dec 2017
In reply to 8A machine elf:

Shona!
In reply to FactorXXX:

XXX factor!!! xxx
 Big Ger 09 Dec 2017

> F*ck your capitalist markets

youtube.com/watch?v=fMKsR_wUSfA&
In reply to Big Ger

Capitalism is war,imperialism and exploitation as Lenin pointed out now reply with another capitalist deflection.
 The Lemming 09 Dec 2017

Your mama
 Timmd 09 Dec 2017
I like your righteous ire, please manage to linger.
Post edited at 11:43
 marsbar 09 Dec 2017
In reply to wercat:

The fire service chose not to. They could have charged £650 but didn’t. Whilst he was a complete idiot, calling for help was probably a sensible decision.
 marsbar 09 Dec 2017
In reply to MarkJH:

I’ve heard that YouTube have stopped his money. Don’t know if it’s true.
 Timmd 09 Dec 2017
In reply to MarkJH:
> Seems a little different when it is his job... To look at in another way, if a mountain guide had to call out MR because they decided not to carry a map and was led off the hill, you might think it a bit off if the guide then pocketed the fee from his clients, sold his story to the press, and then didn't give the team anything for their petrol. I'm not saying that people should be charged for being rescued, but good manners would suggest that you don't use it as an opportunity to make money for yourself.

Looking at his number of videos, it vaguely doesn't seem like it's his 'job' as such to me, but more of a sideline? I think it's a bit different for a mountain guide to decide to leave their map at home, which would be not doing what one knows to be sensible, compared to the unaware stupidity/daftness of the microwave guy.

It'd be the honourable thing to do for him to make some kind of donation from his video profits, I agree about that, I just don't think he should have to.
Post edited at 14:50
 timjones 09 Dec 2017
In reply to gribble:

> And finally, some news that isn't doom and gloom. Well, not for most anyway.

It was even harder to avoid laughing when you saw the regional newsreader attempting to keep a straight face whilst reading the story on the Midlands news

Big Ger 09 Dec 2017

> Capitalism is war,imperialism and exploitation as Lenin pointed out now reply with another capitalist deflection.

youtube.com/watch?v=RtvlBS4PMF0&
 wercat 10 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> I would disagree.

Harsh BUT FAIR
 wercat 10 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:
There was no attempt to quote you at all - sorry if I seemed to - I was trying to clarify my views, not quote yours.

perhaps the format of my reply was poorly chosen humour but it's often used by posters here and I thought it was thought to be acceptable behaviour. I resign, please keep it out of the press.
Post edited at 11:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...