UKC

Crampon practice (Lakes)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Madders 09 Dec 2017
Hey all

If it comes in tomorrow can anyone sugest somewhere to take the wife out for her first day in crampons?

I'm in Kendal but anywhere in the lakes would work

Thanks

Neil
 Dark-Cloud 09 Dec 2017
In reply to Madders:

There isn’t a lot about but dollwaggon zig zags from grizedale tarn usually hold snow and will be reasonably hard packed, make a day of it and go over nethermost to helvellyn then back down to wythburn nice loop if you park at dunmail and go up raise beck.
 descender8 10 Dec 2017
In reply to Madders:

To be honest IF it comes in tomorrow -
it will be soft unconsolidated snow !
 DaveHK 10 Dec 2017
In reply to descender8:

> To be honest IF it comes in tomorrow -

> it will be soft unconsolidated snow !

Plenty of folks seem to think you need crampons in those conditions.
 Dark-Cloud 10 Dec 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Yep, the lot tramping around on Lower Man in crampons for starters while we were in fell shoes which were more than adequate for the conditions, crampons would have made it bloody hard work in my mind.
 Billhook 10 Dec 2017
In reply to Madders:

If its just to get used to them on your feet then anywhere snowy is going to do - just make sure no one sees you walking on the flat in them though - they'll wonder why you are using them on flat, new snow.
OP Madders 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

I got a set for the missus she's never worn them before so it was just a getting a feel for it before we get the "good" conditions

I wasn't expecting just looking for a decent patch to have a play on
 thermal_t 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Madders:

Find somewhere people have been sledging! Good for fall arrest practice with an axe as well!
 Jim Lancs 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Madders:

You might want to be a little wary of parking at Dunmail and using the Raise Beck path to access a suitable crampon practice area. In these freezing days with little snow cover, there is a couple of steps on the path with a lot of seepage that often need crampons and that would be before you reached your practice area!
 Anhibian 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Madders:

Second the advice here to wait a bit until the snow consolidates.

I took my wife up Scafell from the Wasdale side and there was some good areas to practise. Took the right fork past the Lords Rake. Would recommend!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...