UKC

Climbing in Rjukan - top tips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tomshooter 11 Dec 2017
Hi all,

I wrote a blog post a couple of years ago about ice climbing in Rjukan, it outlines a few top tips that I discovered during my trip there in 2013:

http://www.tomshooter.co.uk/blog/tips-ice-climbing-norway/

I hope it helps someone and if you have any questions, please get in touch!

Tom
 Pay Attention 11 Dec 2017
In reply to tomshooter:

Hey Tom

That was an interesting blog. But could you explain "The scale of most icefalls is deceptive. This is generally only discovered once your three pitches up and you’ve run out of rope."
Surely you would have the whole length of rope available as you start each new pitch?
Otherwise you'd just fix an abalakov belay mid-pitch? Suitably backed up of course.

My own addition to your top tips would be to take multiple pairs of gloves so that a pair that gets damp can be replaced with a dry pair to prevent you getting frost nip and damaging the nerves in your fingers.
 steveboote 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Pay Attention:
My top tip, not all food is expensive, there are frozen blocks of fish ( not sure what fish) that just keep on unravelling, great for a stew. The frozen prawns in the frozen bin are sold per kilo, good value too though not shelled. Start early if you want to be down for happy hour. Kong gets sunshine, Mael doesn’t.
If you depart through an airport that sells those plastic miniatures at £2.00 each, buy loads, they’re great ‘tips’ for the local who tows your car out of a ditch!
Post edited at 21:43
 pebbles 11 Dec 2017
In reply to steveboote:

The salmon and sausages are both great value, and ringnes beer from the super market is cheap and good. Take your own maillons because sometimes the in situ ones dissappear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...