UKC

USA/Canada trip....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KS132 12 Dec 2017
Hi,
I am after advice from UKC folk....
I am planning a trip to the USA and Canada. I intend to start in USA, in the north west and do some climbing (and hiking) in Oregon. I will then travel up to Canada and spend some time in Vancouver before heading to Squamish, again for climbing and hiking. There are a few things I would like some advice/recommendations on:
Firstly, I am planning to go probably for the month of June. Is the weather generally ok then? (I was in the Canadian Rockies in June and there was fresh snowfall, although I expect this wouldn't be the case in Squamish). Is May too early? Would September be better (as avoiding school holidays).
Also, I am travelling solo so how is it best to find people to climb with? I am not a competent lead climber yet so is it realistic to expect to just second? I am happy booking onto days climbing/instruction days too. I really would love to climb in both of theses areas.
Many thanks in advance for any advice on the above or general information too.
 SenzuBean 12 Dec 2017
In reply to KS132:

Squamish should be coming into good condition then. Rain can always happen though, so it’s worth having a backup plan, e.g. Skaha (it’s prime conditions there in May/June). I might be able to take you climbing for a day or two, and you will find plenty of partners on the Squamish Rock Climbing and Vancouver Rock Climbing fb groups as well.
 loose overhang 13 Dec 2017
In reply to KS132:

June in the Pacific North West is lovely, but it is also one of the wettest months of the year. If you have the choice of being here (I live east of Vancouver) in September you should find that to be a much more reliable month weather-wise for rock climbing. Are you planning to do as much hiking as climbing? If so, your options from May through the summer are vast. May is also nice, but there is often plenty of snow still remaining in the mountains.

I don't think school holidays will be an issue. Folks with kids don't get to climbing and hiking areas that much.

Where in Oregon are you thinking of going? There may be other good places to go but all I know of there is Smith Rock. Which contains a lot of hard sport climbing.

In Washington there is good climbing in several parts both east (dry) and west (wet) of the Cascades. That is where you will find some excellent hikes.

Squamish is great, but usually is damp until July. I think the best time is mid-August to mid-September. Often it has good weather, not too hot and few bugs.

Hope that helps you.

OP KS132 13 Dec 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

Thank you for this information; really useful. I will look up the fb pages and give you a shout nearer the time.
OP KS132 13 Dec 2017
In reply to loose overhang:

Thank you. It may well end up being September that I go. Avoiding school holidays will keep the flight prices a little lower.
Your recommendations are really useful are really useful too. It's good to have some place names to research. Many thanks.
 loose overhang 13 Dec 2017
In reply to KS132:

If you need to know more I'd be happy to help with what I can, email me if you want. True about the flight costs being less in September, though nowadays those pesky seniors might keep the prices high. Darn oldies......
OP KS132 14 Dec 2017
In reply to loose overhang:

Haha!

Thank you. Most likely will get in touch in due course with further questions!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...