UKC

Snow conditions Highlands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Hageman 13 Dec 2017
Plenty of fresh snow falling right now, on top of some fairly loose swishy powder and crystals - could lead to some higher avalanche risk so be aware.
Just thought I'd mention this as the SAIS hasn't started up just yet.
 jonnie3430 13 Dec 2017
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Cheers Jamie, anyone know if the turf is frozen underneath? The stuff I saw at glenshee on Sunday at about 800 wasn't.
OP Jamie Hageman 13 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:
I climbed the East Ridge of Beinn a' Chaorainn (Lagan) on Sunday and the turf was pretty good and helpful on the crest. It had had some sun and also been scoured a little by the wind. Can't comment on anywhere else.
Post edited at 07:33
 girlymonkey 13 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

That's surprising, the Ochils were frozen solid yesterday.
 Heike 13 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

Turf is variable still. It was actually more frozen lower down in places then higher up last weekend. On the summit if Beinn Each (800 metres) there was some soggy stuff, but also some very hard stuff. As ever the exposed bits get frozen first. I would choose a rocky/icy route still. Having said that the last couple of days have been really cold - might be more frozen now...
 jonnie3430 13 Dec 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

I don't think there was a freeze before the dump, so would assume exposed turf is frozen and buried stuff not. I always worry a bit more if there isn't a bond between turf and snow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...