UKC

Costochondritis (rib pain) and climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dan bulman 14 Dec 2017
Self diagnosed with costochondritis - pain in rib especially sore when stretched out, like climbing or lying down.
Anyone else had it? How long to recover? Rest or exercise?
I've felt it for about 2 week now, have carried on cycling, fell walking and climbing but wondering if I'm just better trying to rest it?
 sg 14 Dec 2017
In reply to dan bulman:

Pretty sure I had this after coming off my mtb; in fact I actually told my GP and he almost rolled his eyes. Didn't seem to be going away for ages and then after a while, guess what, it did. Rest should do it but allow a few months.
 profitofdoom 14 Dec 2017
In reply to dan bulman:

> Self diagnosed with costochondritis - pain in rib especially sore when stretched out, like climbing or lying down.

> Anyone else had it? How long to recover? Rest or exercise?

> I've felt it for about 2 week now, have carried on cycling, fell walking and climbing but wondering if I'm just better trying to rest it?

I do not want to worry or depress you but I have had it for exactly 3 years now. It is sometimes worse sometimes a bit better but it is always there, always a bit or pretty painful especially when lying on that side in bed, or lifting heavy stuff. I have been to the doctor twice about it - the first time she sent me for a chest x-ray to rule out other causes then put me on ibuprofen [spelling?] for a while. The ibuprofen helped a bit. It has never gone away though it should have gone by now. I am very used to it and have just learned to live with it. My wisdom is definitely carry on climbing and fell walking but be a bit careful. Resting it has not worked at all for me

I hope you get better very soon
 sg 14 Dec 2017
In reply to profitofdoom:

Wow, that sounds unlucky. I should add, I didn't actually really rest it but it did just go away eventually; I hope yours does too. Like you, I was actually most bothered by it when lying awkwardly in bed but the pain for me was never more than an ache really, never very acute.
Good luck.
 snoop6060 15 Dec 2017
In reply to dan bulman:

I had this for 4 years. They finally diagnosed me but were mostly completely disinterested for the whole period. At it worst it felt like someone was electrocuting me via my heart! Grim as f*ck. Was a relief to actually find out what it was though.
OP dan bulman 15 Dec 2017

Was any treatment recommended snoop?
Post edited at 09:17
 snoop6060 15 Dec 2017
In reply to dan bulman:

Well, nothing as the Doctor was absolutely f*cking useless. Basically if you ever went in with any other symptoms than those that indicate immediate death they just were not interested at all. After 2 years and perhaps my fifth doctors appointment he was basically like, erm, I dunno, I guess you'd be dead by now if it was serious so don't worry too much. I kid not. It actually got diagnosed in hospital in the end. They also said I had some sort of inflammation around the ribs in the muscle which was probably some sort of infection and probably what causing the electric shock type symptoms. Which were really quite grim when at their worst. The actual rib pain was manageable and I didn't take their only advice which was, as you can probably imagine, stop climbing.

profitofdoom 15 Dec 2017
In reply to sg:

> Wow, that sounds unlucky. I should add, I didn't actually really rest it but it did just go away eventually; I hope yours does too. Like you, I was actually most bothered by it when lying awkwardly in bed but the pain for me was never more than an ache really, never very acute.

> Good luck.

Thanks sg.

Me and others on here have said that doctors do not seem to think it is a big problem, well I suppose I accept that.

As I am sure we all know the NHS and other websites say it goes away in a few months at most. Anyway again, best of luck dan and I hope it vanishes really soon
 yodadave 15 Dec 2017
In reply to dan bulman:

mine comes and goes. it was bad for a year and then i got fed up exercised like mad and it disappeared. Just recently it has returned a little and so I'm upping my exercise to see if I can get rid of it that way again. Lots of running on my Christmas break.

rest did nothing for me but aggravate it as slouching around and resting seem to irritate it for me.

as others have said, all the best with it. hope its a mild case of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...