UKC

Aonach eagach ridge (WINTER)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G0rd0n 15 Dec 2017

Hi,

can anyone advise what gear is needed for an assault on Aonach Eagach ridge in winter conditions?

Thanks
Post edited at 11:55
 Lamb 15 Dec 2017
In reply to G0rd0n:

Depends how comfortable you are over exposed ground. But in generally nothing more than a number of slings, small rack of nuts, few extenders and rope would suffice imo. Plus take some tat and maillions to equip abseils if you wish to make use of them.
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2017
In reply to G0rd0n:

You're going to need a team of native bearers.
 Iain Thow 15 Dec 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Plus a howdah, a couple of cannons and a few machine guns.
 Trangia 15 Dec 2017
In reply to G0rd0n:

An early start
Removed User 15 Dec 2017
In reply to G0rd0n:
There was a good thread about this less than a month ago, have a search. My only advice would be drop the term "assault" from your lexicon. It's almost as bad as "conquer."

"Assault" is something you get charged with in Aviemore on a Saturday, and "conquers" is a game using horse chestnuts on a string.

"Assault" can also be a description of those who use the term in mountaineering if spoken aloud in an over the top French accent.
Post edited at 13:56
 olddirtydoggy 15 Dec 2017
In reply to G0rd0n:

Give the poor bloke a break. We used a short 35m skinny single rope, nuts we didn't use, slings we didn't use but threw the rope over a couple of spikes to ab down 2 tricky sections. The use of gear will depend on conditions and your ability. Hope you have a great time.
OP G0rd0n 16 Dec 2017
In reply to Lamb:

Thanks Lamb.
completed it today. was not as consolidated as I thought it would be but fun nonetheless!
OP G0rd0n 16 Dec 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Thank you. Completed it today.
 RossCN 17 Dec 2017
In reply to G0rd0n:

We normally use 1 ice axe, a 50m half rope, a couple of slings, 3 or 4 nuts and 3 or 4 quickdraws. You might get away with using none of the gear for protection, but you need the rope for a abseil which comes quite early on during the traverse. There is usually a bit of tat in place for that. Move together on a short rope then you can use natural rock features for protection on the more exposed parts. Its a great day out, proper moutaineering.

RN
 Doug 17 Dec 2017
In reply to RossCN:

Abseil ? I'm sure you could but I've done the ridge a couple of times in winter & never abseiled anywhere. Or maybe I was lucky with conditions?
 Sophie G. 18 Dec 2017
In reply to G0rd0n:

I've done it a couple of times with nothing except what some would call our four mobile points of aid The rope accompanied us, but never saw the light of day. It's basically a walk. A slightly gnarly walk, and a very interesting and spectacular walk, but if you watch where you're putting your feet and your tools and keep the pace up (without rushing) you'll be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...