UKC

Head Torches : BD revolt vs Petzl Actik Core

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 15 Dec 2017
I am none the wiser having read the reviews on these two.

In a nutshell

BD - made in China, only a two year guarantee, longer battery life at 300 lumens. Heavier.

Petzl - 5 year guarantee, doesn't look as sexy as the BD, lighter, elastic headstrap not simple, will it fit a helmet simply? Does this torch have intelligent auto system or not? Sounds complex and potentially irritating, due to lack of control. 50 lumens more powerful.

I happen to think battery life is a crucial factor, I am siding with the Petzl.

If you own either torch, can you perhaps please offer feedback on your practical experience.
 danm 15 Dec 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

The Petzl one doesn't have reactive lighting, it has different settings including focused main beam, diffuse proximity lighting, redlight for nav and strobe for emergencies. Very similar to my last torch which I lost unfortunately. Strap works well on the head for running and on a helmet for climbing. Con's - I find the buttons on all Petzl torches a bit fiddly with gloves on. Otherwise, great. I now have a reactive torch and tbh don't see much benefit and almost prefer the old switch mode version.
 HimTiggins 16 Dec 2017
In reply to danm:

Whenever I've had a BD torch, and any friends who've had one, they've broken very quickly. Perhaps a coincidence, perhaps build quality has improved recently. A shame as I really rate all other BD kit I've had.

I've got the Actik with core battery, and so far I'm very impressed. Excellent beam, lightweight, comfortable - so much so I've now started using it for running instead of my Silva X-Trail. The only downside I can see is the lack of constant lighting, but with the core battery there is a very gradual initial drop off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...