UKC

a problem in my car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
srdrtkn 15 Dec 2017
Hi all,

Have you got any idea about this problem with my car? When I turn the steering wheel to the very right, the car makes noise and the offside front bounces. Is it related to coil spring? Do you think it is serious (and also expensive) problem? The car is mercedes a 150 2006. I just want to know about it a little before taking it to a garage?

Thanks in advance.

Wishes

gethin_allen 15 Dec 2017
In reply to srdrtkn:

Is it only when going the one way? if it is just the one way then my first guess would be something fouling the wheel at full lock and this should be fairly easy to see with a simple visual inspection. It could be a corroded and broken spring but the symptoms would be apparent going all directions.
If it's actually happening with the wheels at full lock either way (test by driving slowly around an empty carpark) it could be a driveshaft CV joint.
Mechanical things like this are normally the simpler things to go wrong with a car, it's when you get problems with modern Diesel engines that things get complicated.
 balmybaldwin 15 Dec 2017
In reply to srdrtkn:

Driven in any snow lately? it's quite common for snow build up to break the plastic fairings under the wheel arch as gethin said.... sounds a reasonable cause
In reply to srdrtkn:

Is this the car you bought recently...?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=675377&v=1#x8687538
 jkarran 16 Dec 2017
In reply to srdrtkn:

Only at full right lock, low speed? Could be a rubbing tyre or just normal power steering pressure relief valve behaviour, with hydraulic PAS it tends to cause the steering wheel to wriggle slightly at full lock. Could also be a worn linkage or a soft bush which comes under unusual loading at full lock. Failing CV joints can show up early at full lock, clicking and banging being a common symptom. Not familiar with Merc's but I assume the 150 is FWD, ignore if not. Also check tyre pressure and wheel nuts/bolts.
jk
 Adam15 16 Dec 2017
In reply to srdrtkn:

Think it’s a broken coil spring, when you rotate full lock one way the suspension is compressed more on that side. The noise is the broken spring catching on top/bottom of the suspension mount.

You maybe able to check by looking under the car and seeing if the spring looks broken or not at the top/bottom of it.
 Dave the Rave 16 Dec 2017
In reply to srdrtkn:

Steering track rod ends go a lot on my Volvo with similar symptoms. Not an expensive fix at the right garage.
 UKH Forums 16 Dec 2017
This thread was started in the HILLTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Off Belay
A forum for general non-climbing discussions and debate. Discuss politics, society, sport, whatever you feel like on this popular forum. Please keep the trivial and extra light-hearted stuff in The Pub.
Please note - Unsuitable posts in Off Belay will be either moved to The Pub, or just deleted. 'Unsuitable' means chatty posts between mates, trivial jokes and banter, mimic posts or posts with mild bad language in the starter post or title.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
In reply to srdrtkn:

Most likely an outer CV joint on the offside driveshaft. Shouldn’t be too expensive at an independent garage prob about £50 for an after market part plus labour. However at a dealer it will be a complete shaft and labour.
srdrtkn 16 Dec 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yes this is the car unfortunately. This is my first car in the UK so no experience or someone I know.
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> However at a dealer it will be a complete shaft and labour.

Anything at a Mercedes dealership involves a complete shafting...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...