UKC

Wild Country Revo - update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jbrom 18 Dec 2017
More bad news about the Wild Country Revo belay device.

The Dicks Climbing website now has the following update:

UPDATE 18/12/17: Wild Country have delayed the release of this until further notice. Not expected to be released before March 2018.

https://www.dicksclimbing.com/products/wild-country-revo-belay-device

That sinking feeling that it will never see the light of day (in the UK at least) is growing with every update.
In reply to jbrom:

I thought it was already shipping?
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=675370

DMM Grip, now this. There's some great innovation being done but does anything really beat a solid piece of metal? Very little to go wrong with something so simple.
OP jbrom 18 Dec 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I had seen that, and it raised my hopes at the time, but it's a US forum and all those that have recieved one seemed to have preordered through REI and be US based, hence my "in the UK at least" comment.

gethin_allen 18 Dec 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

And the DMM eddy too.
 Greasy Prusiks 18 Dec 2017
In reply to jbrom:

Does anyone know why? I don't understand how it's OK to sell in the US but not here.
 Sean_J 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Different safety standards, of course (well, different official bodies that issue the safety protocols)
 jimtitt 19 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean_J:

> Different safety standards, of course (well, different official bodies that issue the safety protocols)

No.
 Sean_J 19 Dec 2017
In reply to jimtitt:

A very concise and helpful answer there
 Rob Parsons 19 Dec 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

> And the DMM eddy too.

What do you mean about the Eddy?
Post edited at 16:16
 Greasy Prusiks 19 Dec 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

A bit of googling found this- "The final certification process highlighted the need for a design modification to guarantee the REVO’s performance across the widest possible spectrum of rope diameters and whilst we regret that this will delay its release, ultimately we are pleased to be working with a certification body that has helped us to realise our ambition of producing the safest belay device on the market.

We will begin production of the REVO with a new supplier that specializes in precision manufacture to deliver an exceptionally high level of finish to our latest innovation."

Sounds like a quality control problem with a supplier perhaps? Good to see they're taking the time to get it perfected.
 gethin_allen 19 Dec 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> What do you mean about the Eddy?

Sorry getting confused, it's the chicane that got binned before release, apparently it twisted the rope or something.
 Sam B 20 Dec 2017
In reply to jbrom:
Just a month ago I saw one demoed at a Wild Country event, and they seemed pretty confident it would be on the shelves in the first week of December. Really can't wait to get my hands on one. It's a little frustrating that so many proposed release dates have come and gone, but absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. I'm sure it will be a big hit with everyone from indoor lead climbers to trad lead soloists when it eventually arrives - seems like a marvellous piece of engineering.
Post edited at 10:53
 MischaHY 20 Dec 2017
In reply to jbrom:

Driving me mad that some folk in the US are happily bimbling around with theirs but we haven't got any! So keen to get my hands on one.
 jimtitt 20 Dec 2017
In reply to MischaHY:

Not everyone is so happily bimbling around with theirs, you should read the various threads on MP. And https://www.reddit.com/r/climbing/comments/7judy9/wild_country_revo_recall/
 MischaHY 20 Dec 2017
In reply to jimtitt:

Oh, I've done the forum rounds. Looks like there's definitely some production inconsistencies to clear up - doesn't do much for the impatience though! It'll come when it comes and be better for it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...