UKC

Ice tools (again)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 19 Dec 2017
I’ve been on the prowl for some new ice tools (at least it’s not a glove thread) to replace my Flys for a while, I had been leaning towards the new Viper but then came across the CT North Couloir and Eclimb Cryo.

I had a swing of all of these and they all feel nice, somehow the Cryo (p/m) seems lighter even though it’s stated weight is more or less the same.

I couldn’t find any reviews for the CT, and the reviews for the Cryo are either very basic or avaerage (Rock&Ice).

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on these two tools and how they rate them against the Viper? My main use will be summer Alpine and Alpine Icefalls in winter, nothing too hard (AD/D, WI3/4). Thanks.
 ColdWill 19 Dec 2017
In reply to echo34: The E-Climb have been around ages but haven't taken off for some reason, good picks and good solid single bolt attachment. The CT North Couloir is pretty good, I was climbing next to a guide who was sponsored by them and had a go on a pair last season. They seemed absolutely fine on the waterfall ice we were on. I would go for best value for money in this case but if you were prepared to spend a little more, get a proper axe and keep using the flys on the Alpine style routes.
 HeMa 19 Dec 2017
In reply to echo34:

At those grades, any of them will work.

So pick one that "feels" right. If you wish to have financial support, look into pick prices and how easy they are to obtain.

AFAIK EClimbs and CTs aren't that widely available... so you need to keep spares on trips and such. BDs are quite commonly available around.

Oh, and I'd also look into aftermarket picks. Krukonogis (krukonogi.com) are stellar for alpine & mixed, but spendy. Polish Kuznia (https://kuzniaszpeju.pl/pl/) are a lot cheaper, and almost as robust as Krukos.

I'd prolly pick the new Vipers, but that is mainly due to the fact that my household already has 3 pairs of BDs and they all share the picks...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...