UKC

Psychological barrier in bouldering survey.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ReubenClimbs 19 Dec 2017
Hi, doing a research topic for college into the psychological barriers within bouldering. If you could fill this quick survey out that would be really useful towards my research! All answers will remain anonymous from this. TIA!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/JSCBCYS
 jkarran 19 Dec 2017
In reply to ReubenClimbs:

Good luck but I suspect you're going to get a lot of rather vague unhelpful answers from that.
jk
 Oceanrower 20 Dec 2017

Please, at least try to string a sentence together.

Psychological barriers in bounding?

Has pressure ever effected the way you preform in a positive or negative way and why?
Preform?

Have you ever been affected these types of pressure?

Have you ever suffered an injury from bouldering and if so how did it affect your mental state in being able to preform?
Preform again. Really?

I'll take more time to respond when you take more time putting it together.
 Dandan 20 Dec 2017

I may have let my imagination get away with me when answering one of your vague questions, i'll let you guess which one.
 summo 20 Dec 2017
In reply to jkarran:

> Good luck but I suspect you're going to get a lot of rather vague unhelpful answers from that.
> jk

Don't be too harsh. It's ok for some kids key stage 1 project.
 Neil Amos 20 Dec 2017

Crikey, lot of haters.

I quite liked the way you could expand your answers and give extra details that other surveys often fail to give by being too black and white. As for the spelling mistakes, I could read it and understand what the questions were so it didn’t really bother me. The author could be dyslexic, who knows. Personally I would say to the OP that if people are not going to respond because your spellings sod em! Pedants

Looked at it but CBA.
Sorry
 scott titt 20 Dec 2017
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Ditto
 Monk 20 Dec 2017

Done (happily)
 Oceanrower 20 Dec 2017
In reply to Neil Amos:
Not hating, irritated maybe.

Every year we get a load of people asking for help with surveys. Some are good, some are not so good. Some will apply to me and some won't.

If It's relevant and I can help then I'll try to do so.

If the student, be it college or university, can't be bothered to check their own work before publication then I will have no hesitation in pointing that out.

And if the author does have Dyslexia, I'm sorry but tough. Get someone to check your work before you put it on the internet. If you submit a thesis with crap spelling it's not going to do your degree (other educational awards are available) any good.
Post edited at 20:13
 Neil Amos 20 Dec 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:
Really? If you are actually so benevolent why not try to explain sensitively why you won’t fill in his survey? Why just pick it to pieces and critisize it like an old school teacher marking an essay? Why not just change the channel? Ignore it and move on?

These forums are such a breeding ground for people just wanting something to critisize. It ain’t really worth it. Just help someone out! As long as the people replying post sense and spell correctly others will understand... jeez
 Oceanrower 21 Dec 2017
In reply to Neil Amos:
> These forums are such a breeding ground for people just wanting something to critisize. It ain’t really worth it. Just help someone out! As long as the people replying post sense and spell correctly others will understand... jeez

Critisize? Spell correctly? Sometimes it's just too easy...
Post edited at 01:54
 Oceanrower 21 Dec 2017
In reply to Neil Amos:
However, in the spirit of replying sensitively, if you can't spell what the f*ck are you doing in further education?

Sensitive enough for you?
Post edited at 01:57
In reply to Oceanrower:

Gosh you have a lot of anger to direct at a few incorrectly placed letters.

Whilst I agree that correct spelling and grammatical standards are important, particularly in academic work where sloppiness or imprecision bespeaks of a lack of care or attention on the part of the student, I tend to assess whether the mistakes have impeded my understanding of the text. In this case although the spelling mistakes were clear and slightly annoying I was still able to easily determine the questions posed, thus it did not seem worth being churlish over and refusing to respond to on principle.

I agree with the other respondent, a small comment on the need for spelling and grammar development would have been kinder and probably more effective.

As to your wider point on standards and education: who are you to judge whether this person ‘deserves’ to be in further education? You are making uninformed and potentially hurtful judgements with very little to go on except some spelling errors. Ultimately, as a teacher myself, I am worried about slipping grammatical standards but I can’t think of anything more counter-productive than roundly criticising a young person who is at least trying to engage in discourse.

To conclude, the survey took me about 10 minutes and if that helps some lad out doing his work is it so much to ask?

P.S to the OP you need to make sure your keyword spellings are correct!
Andy Gamisou 21 Dec 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:

> However, in the spirit of replying sensitively, if you can't spell what the f*ck are you doing in further education?

> Sensitive enough for you?

And people wonder why many don't contribute to the forums. Maybe because of pointlessly aggressive responses like this. I think you mean 'higher' education BTW, not 'further'.
 andrew ogilvie 22 Dec 2017

I didn't think your survey was too bad and didn't notice the typos which have been exercising other respondents.
What often seems to be the case with these surveys though ( and this is not intended as a criticism of you in any way) is that the point of view or hypothesis of the author doesn't allow some respondents to report important aspects of their experience leading to skewed results. EG surveys about "performance" attract respondents motivated by performance , surveys about "risk" attract respondents motivated by risk . There seems to be a fundamental flaw in the sampling technique which means that the results can never give a general overview.
There are others problems with the design, calibration and analysis of such surveys which spring to mind but which don't require to be rehearsed here.
The ready availability of a means of survey and a population to survey strikes me as being a ( yet another?) good example of valuing what can be measured rather than measuring what is of value,
 andrew ogilvie 22 Dec 2017

Incidentally welcome to you. I checked your profile after doing your survey...if you can boulder V7 then you are capable of much, much harder than 6a+ onsight... or maybe your local wall needs to have a performance appraisal for its route setters.
 thepodge 22 Dec 2017
Done it but feel you'd get much more useful results out of speaking to a few climbers face to face than loads of online responses to that survey.
 Kristof252 22 Dec 2017

Done. Ignore the sad old pedant raging about your spelling.
 Ungabunga73 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:

Pretty sure F*ck has a "U" in it ..........init !!!
 Oceanrower 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Ungabunga73:

Yes. But you couldn't get it there either, could you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...