UKC

Looking for advice on buying new tent (2 ppl, 4 season)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Connorh 22 Dec 2017

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to spend a lot of money stupidly.

Requirements are: 4 season, Lightweight ish (around 1.5 - 3kg)and between £500 and £600, I can maybe stretch a bit on that.

So far I'm considering the MSR ACCESS 3 , Alpkit Kangri or Mountain Hardwear Tangent 2

Apologies for another tent post, I did go through previous posts but they didn't really cover these requirements.

Cheers,
Post edited at 22:52
 Solaris 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Connorh:

Well, I'll start the chorus of approval for the Hilleberg Nallo 2. I don't know the others you mention, but I'm seriously impressed by the build quality of the Nallo. It would involve a stretch on your price limit, but depending on where you're thinking of going and how long you need the fabric to last before it gets killed by UV, it could be worth a look.

Apart from that, have a look at Macpac Olympus, perhaps.
 bouldery bits 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Connorh:

Macpac Minaret if you'd be happy with a tunnel design?
 99ster 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Solaris:

> Well, I'll start the chorus of approval for the Hilleberg Nallo 2. I don't know the others you mention, but I'm seriously impressed by the build quality of the Nallo. It would involve a stretch on your price limit, but depending on where you're thinking of going and how long you need the fabric to last before it gets killed by UV, it could be worth a look.

Hilleberg - every time.
 bouldery bits 23 Dec 2017
In reply to 99ster:

If the OP's budget can stretch, then Hilleberg 100%. My suggestion was based on the budget.

Mark Haward 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Connorh:

As others have said the Hillberg tents are fantastic but a lot of money. I have been using an Alpkit Kangri for the last year and have found it to be excellent.
 OwenM 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Connorh:

One or two person tent?
In reply to Connorh:

I have a virtually brand new Terra Nova Quasar for sale... only used for two weekends; message me if you're interested...
 Solaris 23 Dec 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

> My suggestion was based on the budget.

Despite having started the Hilleberg thing on this thread, I agree with you: to buy a Hilleberg is a significant increase in cost over a Macpac, who by any reckoning make good tents with more UV-proof fabric than some well known brands. I've had four and my mate had a Minaret which served us well on several trips.
 ben b 23 Dec 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

Not a huge amount of room in a Minaret but for strength/weight hard to beat at the price. Increase in weight for an Olympus is ok given the extra room, but not quite as strong with third pole. Both tents remain excellent choices and are comparatively affordable

B
 brianrunner 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Connorh:

Terra Nova Quasar or Voyager would both get my vote
 DaveHK 23 Dec 2017
In reply to ben b:

> Not a huge amount of room in a Minaret

Very well built tents but imo too small for extended use by 2 people. I grew to hate ours over a one month bike tour.
 Scott K 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Connorh:

On eBay there is a Nallo 2 gt for £620, if you have an OE card, Tiso have the Nallo 2 for £625.
Another option would be the Tarptent Scarp 2 from the US. About $430 seam sealed with the additional poles then you need to add shipping and any customs charges unless you know someone in the States who can send it.
OP Connorh 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Connorh:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, think Im going to go with the Hilleberg Nallo 2 assuming its in stock somewhere ! Its a good weight too so it ticks all the boxes for me.

Cheers
 DaveHK 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Connorh:

Hard to go wrong with a Nallo. Expensive but built to last.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...