UKC

Blue British Passport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Ormerod 22 Dec 2017
Thank God, Brexit has delivered a tangible benefit, which will rock the remoaner traitors to their EU starred underpants. I can stare proudly at my new blue passport as I stand in the 'other countries' queue, before I have to queue again for my work permit. All the time humming Land of Hope and Glory.

Thanks you Nigel. Enjoy your EU pension.

I'm sure it's just the lefty BBC propaganda that we could have had any colour passport we wanted before. Like that vassal state Slovakia.

Big Ger 22 Dec 2017
In reply to George Ormerod:

]What it will do is bring out all the remoaners, desperately trying to make something "big" out of this as a sarcastic way of showing their contempt for anyone with a different viewpoint, and exercising their "humour" over the matter.

In fact, the only people who will think it worth a mention will be remoaners.
Post edited at 23:10
 bouldery bits 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> ]What it will do is bring out all the remoaners, desperately trying to make something "big" out of this as a sarcastic way of showing their contempt for anyone with a different viewpoint, and exercising their "humour" over the matter.

> In fact, the only people who will think it worth a mention will be remoaners.

Quite.
Why are we changing it then?
In reply to Big Ger:

Yes. The Mail and the Express didn’t even bother to cover the story!
Lusk 22 Dec 2017

Shouldn't it be named "United Kingdom of Northern Ireland (and Great Britain)"?
In reply to bouldery bits:

I'm a reminder. Or a remoaner if I override spellcheck.

I don't have a passport, as I'm happy with the vacation (and residential, unlike some responders to this thread) opportunities within the UK.

I can't see why we need to change passport colour just to allow some people who don't like spending time in the UK to have a different coloured ticket to spend their time outside the UK.
pasbury 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Perhaps it’s just symbolic....

of how meaningless the whole enterprise is.
In reply to Big Ger:

In a way your right: as a metaphor for Brexit, it's beyond parody. A bit like Brexit itself.
 Tyler 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I appreciate you won't have seen the uk papers where you are but I can tell you that's bollocks, the below was Theresa May on Twitter and needless to say the BBC wheeled out Farage for the usual bullshit
"The UK passport is an expression of our independence and sovereignty – symbolising our citizenship of a proud, great nation. That's why we have announced that the iconic #bluepassport will return after we leave the European Union in 2019."

Tony Jones 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Well, apart from that chancing, lazy fvck, Farage who managed to get some more Radio 4 airtime to declare it a great 'Brexmas' present or some such bollocks.

In the spirit of the season, wishing him a broken down boiler and no alternative but to call out a Polish plumber on Christmas Day.

In reply to Big Ger:

Or yourself...
 Jon Stewart 22 Dec 2017

Hey guys, I've got a new policy idea! It won't cost much and everyone'll really like it! Let's turn the passport from maroon to blue! Brilliant!

This is the rock bottom of British politics.

This time, really, things can only get better. Or at least, if they get any worse, I'll kill myself.
 Trevers 22 Dec 2017

I think Big Ger might be onto something. This has to be wind up by the Brexiteers, they can't really be this thick, right?
 Trevers 22 Dec 2017

This reminds me a lot of that episode of South Park where Canada goes on strike because they're butthurt from being the butt of jokes all the time. In the end the concessions they win are some meal vouchers and bubblegum for every Canadian.
Lusk 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Odd number years are always the worst.
Or is it even ones, aarrg ...damn ... help ...
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Why are we changing it then?

Because the average age of Conservative Party members is 72. The old blue ones aren't 'iconic' for anyone apart from OAPs.

At least we finally know what Teresa May meant when she said we were going to get a ‘red, white and blue’ brexit.

Red is the colour of our current account, as the budget deficit drags on for years due to downgraded economic growth.

White is the preferred skin colour for many brexiters, instead of those dark skinned people in that ‘breaking point’ poster Farage stood in front of

And now we know that blue is the colour of our new passports! Which will be just like the old ones, but take longer to use in airports.

It’s great, this Taking Back Control...!
 Big Ger 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

> Or yourself...

I didn't mention it.
 aln 23 Dec 2017

How pathetic this whole pile of shite has become when the colour of the passport becomes important. Make it pink or green or candyfloss or whatever.
 Tom Valentine 23 Dec 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
Hands up all those people, Remoaners and otherwise, who give a shit what colour their passport is.

if you are scared of Brexiters colouring your passport blue then i assume you have long since stopped associating yourself from the Union Flag because that might make you out to be a bigot. Or worse.

if we make an issue of it, it will become an issue.
Post edited at 00:54
 Trevers 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

*raises hand*

I suppose you're right, it is almost as stupid to grow attached to a burgendy passport in opposition to Brexit, as it is to care about having a blue one.
 TobyA 23 Dec 2017
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I'm not that old, well I don't feel that old in my heart at least, but my first passport was blue, and that's the one that has interesting stamps in it. Although I don't actually give a shit about what colour my passport is, I do like the new ones with all the animal pictures in them though. My current one has had me pulled out of line with both US and Israeli security because it has a funny number - it was one of the last years they granted them in embassies, before you had to mail order them from Germany or wherever it is if you were an expat. Mine was done for me in the Helsinki embassy.
Clauso 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I'm increasingly of the opinion that you're actually a troll...

Who's put you up to this, comrade? Where did the Welsh / Aussie back story come from? How much are you getting paid for this? What day is it? What time is it? Who won the Cup in 1980? Why are you? And when?
Post edited at 01:20
 FactorXXX 23 Dec 2017
In reply to aln:

How pathetic this whole pile of shite has become when the colour of the passport becomes important. Make it pink or green or candyfloss or whatever

Quite right.
The only people making a real fuss about this are people at the far ends of the Brexit/Remain spectrum.
The 'Brexiteer's' see it as some sort of victory and the 'Remoaners' see it as further confirmation of entrenched bigotry.
All a bit sad really...
 Big Ger 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Clauso:
I care as much of your opinion of me as I care what colour passport I have, (I have two, one Navy and one Red.)
Post edited at 03:29
 Darron 23 Dec 2017

What I don’t get is this ‘return to the iconic blue passport’ thing. Prior to 1988 our passports were, to all intents and purposes, Black!
 summo 23 Dec 2017
I don't care if it's pink with purple spots, perhaps the point is why to be part of a trading block of nations did everyone need to have matching passports in first place, unless there is another agenda from Brussels to control and dictate every aspect of life.

Yes some will say security. But having several designs of passport makes it much harder for forgers.
Post edited at 06:36
 john arran 23 Dec 2017

While we're at it, can we have our iconic British driving licences back too; the inevitably dog-eared paper ones that were an embarrassment at hire car offices around the world until finally we realised that not everything British was necessarily better than everything non-British and started working together with others?
 john arran 23 Dec 2017
In reply to summo:

Choose your own passport cover. Many colours and images to choose from. Make sure you aren't embarrassed by your plain old monochrome passport while standing in the slow queue. Brandish your chosen identity with pride. Only £199 + VAT.

You heard it here first
 girlymonkey 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Tyler:

> "The UK passport is an expression of our independence and sovereignty – symbolising our citizenship of a proud, great nation. That's why we have announced that the iconic #bluepassport will return after we leave the European Union in 2019."

The thing I love about this is that passports that are in any way useful as dictated by US and an aviation authority. The colour is one of the few things we can change on it and none of it is dictated by the EU.

I don't really care what colour my passport is, but I do find it funny and slightly worrying that people see this change as a symbol of Britishness and sovereignty! Most Brits have only ever known a burgundy passport, so it's not iconic or significant to most people!
Removed User 23 Dec 2017

At least no one has claimed that the new ones will be printed in Germany, which they may, as the printing has to be put out to tender. I am sure that you all know that the UK passport is undertaking its regular review/update and changing the color will not be a cost factor. If anyone is unhappy about it then just think of the time you will save at EU passport controls when you breeze through the "Non EU" gate!
 wintertree 23 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

> While we're at it, can we have our iconic British driving licences back too; the inevitably dog-eared paper ones that were an embarrassment at hire car offices around the world

Yes please. I for one appreciated the effect where an American traffic officer would look at the piece of paper in great confusion before deciding to send you about your way rather than figure out what to do next...
In reply to summo:

> Perhaps the point is why to be part of a trading block of nations did everyone need to have matching passports in first place, unless there is another agenda from Brussels to control and dictate every aspect of life.

Unfortunately, like most Brexit myths this isn't true; they didn't have to be matching and we could have had blue any time we wanted. Like Croatia.

summo 23 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

> Choose your own passport cover. Many colours and images to choose from. Make sure you aren't embarrassed by your plain old monochrome passport while standing in the slow queue. Brandish your chosen identity with pride. Only £199 + VAT.

If you need an emergency temporary passport in Sweden it's neon pink! Helps spot the numpty in the queue.

summo 23 Dec 2017

> Unfortunately, like most Brexit myths this isn't true; they didn't have to be matching and we could have had blue any time we wanted. Like Croatia.

Thanks for the myth buster.
 Sharp 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Tyler:

> I appreciate you won't have seen the uk papers where you are but I can tell you that's bollocks, the below was Theresa May on Twitter and needless to say the BBC wheeled out Farage for the usual bullshit

> "The UK passport is an expression of our independence and sovereignty – symbolising our citizenship of a proud, great nation. That's why we have announced that the iconic #bluepassport will return after we leave the European Union in 2019."

Andrew Rosindell's comments made me die a little inside:
"The humiliation of having a pink European Union passport will now soon be over and the United Kingdom nationals can once again feel pride and self-confidence in their own nationality when travelling, just as the Swiss and Americans can do. The restoration of our own British passport is a clear statement to the world that Britain is back."

Interesting thing to feel humiliated about given the times we are living through, food banks, increasing wealth inequality, homelessness, the dimantling of our welfare state and publicly funded services, grenfell tower, uncollected taxes from the most wealthy people enjoying our status as a non-dom tax haven while working and middle class wages stagnate. I think he might have missed ward off the end of Britain is back. All the while we willingly elect Rich and privelidged white leaders, the likes of Michael Gove and Reese Mogg: out of touch colonialists with vast wealth and no interest in creating a modern and fair future. We have a foreign secretary whose own aide had to drag him away from receipting colonial poetry in an ex-British Colony because it was "probably not a good idea". "What what old boy? But it's Kipling, they'll love it". We couldn't be more of an international laughing stock if the entire front benches dressed up in military red coats and stormed Brussels demanding our empire back. Feel pride and self confidence in our nationality when travelling? The entire world is laughing at us being led into oblivion by a bunch of brandy slugging buffoons trapped inside some sort of 19th century time warp where Rule Britannia drifts across the waves and the hopes of a forward thinking, collaborative and fair Nation pass us by.
 Trangia 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Darron:

> What I don’t get is this ‘return to the iconic blue passport’ thing. Prior to 1988 our passports were, to all intents and purposes, Black!

You are absolutely right!
 summo 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Sharp:

> The entire world is laughing at us being led into oblivion by a bunch of brandy slugging buffoons trapped inside some sort of 19th century time warp where Rule Britannia drifts across the waves and the hopes of a forward thinking, collaborative and fair Nation pass us by.

Perhaps many in the world wonder why the fuss over Brexit, as the eu has bigger problems in Spain, or Poland(plus others) that could have much more serious consequences.
 Siward 23 Dec 2017
In reply to summo:

Why in this day and age does anybody have to carry about a bit of printed anything? It's positively antediluvian. Permanent lifetime implants if you want to travel.
 Sharp 23 Dec 2017
In reply to summo:

> I don't care if it's pink with purple spots, perhaps the point is why to be part of a trading block of nations did everyone need to have matching passports in first place, unless there is another agenda from Brussels to control and dictate every aspect of life.

> Yes some will say security. But having several designs of passport makes it much harder for forgers.

fyi the blue passport was imposed upon us by the League of Nations in the 1920's, the red passport was a willing change we decided to make but by no means had to. As someone else says, we could have copied croatias passport colour just as easily in the EU as outwith it. Most of the legislation surrounding what is and isn't on our passport is imposed upon us by the US and the civil aviation authority, not the EU. Standardisation of passports means machines can be used at airports to scan passports and biometric data almost eliminating the abilty of forgeries getting past human eyes.

As with most things in life working together isn't always the evil it is made out to be by some.
 summo 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Siward:

> Why in this day and age does anybody have to carry about a bit of printed anything? It's positively antediluvian. Permanent lifetime implants if you want to travel.

Or just an ID card. Chip and pin passports with biometric data saved on it.
 summo 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Sharp:

I never said standard security features were a bad thing. As I said above. Chip and pin. The chip can even save all travel history, visas, work permits etc..
In reply to Sharp:
Nonsense. That sort of talk risks making you sound like an Expert, and we know what we think about them...!

We can now proudly throw off the intolerable humiliation of having the colour of our passport suggested to us by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels

And proudly reclaim our heritage by turning them a colour that was imposed on us by unelected bureaucrats who were based in Geneva

And a size and format that is imposed on us by unelected bureaucrats based in Quebec. Where they also speak French.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/22/blue-passports-taking...

This is a great day for Britain- just ask Andrew Rossindell, Nigel Farage or The Sun:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5192542/uk-dark-blue-passport-back/

Long live Taking Back Control...!
Post edited at 09:02
 Trangia 23 Dec 2017

The black British passport was bigger, being 6"x 4" Imperial

The red EU passport is smaller being 13 cm x 9 cm ( 5"x 3 1/2" Imperial)
 ian caton 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I will be pissed off if the go back to the old size and rigidity. Pain in the ass.
 Robert Durran 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Trevers:

> *raises hand*

> I suppose you're right, it is almost as stupid to grow attached to a burgendy passport in opposition to Brexit, as it is to care about having a blue one.

I'm not attached to my burgundy passport in opposition to Brexit; I am attached to it as a citizen of the European Union, to it's ideals and to the rights and freedoms it gives me. I shall be sad to lose it.
 Trevers 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I'm not attached to my burgundy passport in opposition to Brexit; I am attached to it as a citizen of the European Union, to it's ideals and to the rights and freedoms it gives me. I shall be sad to lose it.

Well I've got a solution that should please everyone, a third way as it were...

Continue with this blue passport, but stay in the EU.

It'll please the leavers who can revel in the restoration of whatever national identity they thought they'd lost, and it'll please the remainers who don't want to f*** their country back to the 19th century.
 DerwentDiluted 23 Dec 2017

Personally I'm delighted to see the return of the iconic Blue passport.

My passport sits in my filing cabinet for most of the year, it gets used on 2, 4 or occasionally 6 days of the year. The interleaves of my filing cabinet are a dark blue colour and the colour clash of the Burgundy passport has caused me considerable mild distress over the years. Thanks to the brave Sun I can be assured that I have taken back control of the colour coordination of my filing system.

I must also show my appreciation to the Brexiteers, as the exchange rates mean that my, and those of many others, passport is much less likely to get it's iconic blueness scuffed by actually being used.
 Robert Durran 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Trevers:
> Continue with this blue passport, but stay in the EU.

That's absolutey fine as long as we don't go back to the big stiff one and stick with a little floppy fast n'lite version for those routes in Chamonix with a descent into Italy.
Post edited at 10:59

> if you are scared of Brexiters colouring your passport blue then i assume you have long since stopped associating yourself from the Union Flag because that might make you out to be a bigot. Or worse.

I quite like the old football flags with the Scottish lion and 'Remember Bannockburn 1314' under it but the politically correct seem to have banned them for some reason.

Flinticus 23 Dec 2017

Why don't we go the whole way and re-introduce the pre WW1 passport format...as an expression of sovereignty and a symbol of Empire (built on denying sovereignty to...)

Oh yeah. Technological requirements, the US and other international treaties demand certain characteristics in order for a passport to be accepted. As of course can the EU.
 HardenClimber 23 Dec 2017

It is fairly typical of Brexit™.

An unneccssary change trumpted as a a triumph. (alright, we will need to change the wording).

Blaming EU for something which is trivial and was in our control anyway.

Repeatedly being told how good things used to be and that we will return to them (even when we don't).

Optimism about how much bennefit we'll get (especially when we will almost certainly lose bennefit).

If the flood of joy and positive spin is questioned, the Brexiter reaction is to blame sensible people for making an issue of it.

Something Teresa's Little Helpers (Labour) can identify with.

(Old passport was a different colour from the proposal, was stiff , could be damaged, had sharp corners, was large and looked out of date....and product of an internaional agreement, which we clung to while the world moved on).

MonkeyPuzzle 23 Dec 2017

I'm cringing. I've never been a jingoist but this is the first time I've felt embarrassed for my nationality. Petty, small of mind, small of heart, small of mind. Welcome to Brexit Britain.
 Bob Kemp 23 Dec 2017
In reply to ian caton:

> I will be pissed off if the go back to the old size and rigidity. Pain in the ass.

I don’t think we can change the size - they have to fit in machine readers at airports which only take the internationally agreed size.
In reply to deepsoup:

Same crap in The Sun, "blue passport, stunning Brexit victory for The Sun"... wtf!?

Some fun facts here: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/blue-passports-facts_uk_5a3cc0d6e4b06...

Particularly like #7

john arran 23 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

That last one is hilarious:

"The return of the traditional blue British passport divided opinion when it was announced, with Brexiteers rejoicing and Remainers expressing anger online.
But now even those in favour of leaving the EU, who were exctied [sic] about the return of the old-style passport, are complaining that it's not the right colour."

What a great expression of Brexit as a whole. Vote for something meaningless where nobody is quite sure as to what they're voting for, then be surprised when what you end up with isn't what you thought you would get!
 deepsoup 23 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:
Yep, too pale apparently. Instead of being the same colour as the old big stiff passport, it's the same colour as a North Korean one.

Meanwhile, in Croatia (which, as I'm sure you know, is a member of the EU): https://www.croatiaweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Croatia16.jpg
 HardenClimber 23 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

I thought for a moment the likeness to North Korea might be an 'internet fact' but....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_People%27s_Republic_of_Korea_passp...
In reply to deepsoup:

Etc

> I think I'm just going to go ahead and assume that, there too, you're talking bollocks.

I think you might need to get that sarcasm detector serviced, deepsoup....
 Jim Hamilton 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> The black British passport was bigger, being 6"x 4" Imperial

We must be colour blind! I always thought it was black, definitely not navy blue.

deepsoup 23 Dec 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
Irony? Blimey, didn't see that coming. (I'll change the batteries in the sarcasm detector now, thanks for the heads up.)
Post edited at 17:09
 Trangia 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

> We must be colour blind! I always thought it was black, definitely not navy blue.

I'm still convinced it's black! I've kept all my passports since 1953, and have just dug them out. They are definitely black, not blue! My first red EU one was issued in 1999.
 deepsoup 23 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:
> Meanwhile, in Croatia (which, as I'm sure you know, is a member of the EU): https://www.croatiaweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Croatia16.jpg

Oops. My mistake, that's an old pre-EU one. This is how it looks now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatian_passport
 GrahamD 23 Dec 2017

The colour isn’t the issue. I’d just like a new passport to be as useful as my current one.
 john arran 23 Dec 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

This, I must say, is genius:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRsUtKfXUAAr_9r.jpg

FactorXXX 23 Dec 2017

Strange, everyone on UKC seems to be posting vociferously about how changing the colour of the passport isn't important enough to make a fuss about...
 Tyler 23 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Strange, everyone on UKC seems to be posting vociferously about how changing the colour of the passport isn't important enough to make a fuss about...

Nope, everyone on UKC seems to be posting vociferous about how changing the colour of the passport isn't important enough to leave the EU with all the attendant disruption to the economy that will cause.
 Nevis-the-cat 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Tyler:

People in Sunderland can use their blue passport at the benefits office, after Nissan have f*cked off to Slovenia because they can't justify £1bn of new plant investment in a weakly governed country with a risky economy.
 FactorXXX 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Tyler:

Nope, everyone on UKC seems to be posting vociferous about how changing the colour of the passport isn't important enough to leave the EU with all the attendant disruption to the economy that will cause.

So all the posters are using the colour change as a metaphor of how shit Brexit is going to be and is essentially yet another excuse to have a doom and gloom thread about Brexit on UKC?
 Sir Chasm 23 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Nope, everyone on UKC seems to be posting vociferous about how changing the colour of the passport isn't important enough to leave the EU with all the attendant disruption to the economy that will cause.

> So all the posters are using the colour change as a metaphor of how shit Brexit is going to be and is essentially yet another excuse to have a doom and gloom thread about Brexit on UKC?

Of course, because having a blue passport is really something for brexiteers to trumpet. Hang on! My driving licence is a bit pink and EUy, bring back the old green paper licence, that'll make brexit worthwhile.
 wintertree 23 Dec 2017

Wake me up when we can go back to calling the mains electricity 240 Volts...
 Big Ger 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Tyler:

> Nope, everyone on UKC seems to be posting vociferous about how changing the colour of the passport isn't important enough to leave the EU with all the attendant disruption to the economy that will cause.

Where did anyone claim that the colour of the passport is important enough to leave the EU?
 Tyler 23 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

Possibly but to my mind it's more that we were promised a brave new world of openess and economic opportunity but it turns out that all this amounts to is something so trivial its beyond parody and we are being told this is some sort of victory (made even more laughable by the fact we could have changed any time we wanted and the only reason we didn't is because no one, apart from the most frothing Brexiters born before 1970 gives a shit)
 Tyler 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Where did anyone claim that the colour of the passport is important enough to leave the EU?

So far it's all there is, even IDS has said that business will have to 'get by' with worse EU trade.
 FactorXXX 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Tyler:

Possibly but to my mind it's more that we were promised a brave new world of openess and economic opportunity but it turns out that all this amounts to is something so trivial its beyond parody and we are being told this is some sort of victory (made even more laughable by the fact we could have changed any time we wanted and the only reason we didn't is because no one, apart from the most frothing Brexiters born before 1970 gives a shit)

Right, so it isn't actually a metaphor for Brexit for being shit, but is in fact fervent Remainers actually believing that Brexitiers think that this is somehow a valid justification for Brexit?
I voted Remain and beyond journalistic jingoism, I don't believe for a moment that any Brexitier actually believes that the colour change is any sort of victory. In fact, all I'm seeing in this thread is Remainers wanting to believe that all Brexitiers believe in such nonsense and to be honest, it's fairly indicative of a lot of posters wanting to turn everything Brexit into a doom and gloom fiasco.
 Big Ger 24 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:
Interestingly, out of the current 75 posts, 90% or so are by remainers, variously bemoaning how excited others are, and making claims about what other people think.

10% are by Brexit supporters, but not one of them is championing the colour change.

Laughable how the remainers tie themselves into winding sheet by venting their own obsessions.
Post edited at 04:09
 Rob Exile Ward 24 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

You have SEEN FarAge's contents and the Sun and Mail headlines, haven't you. If not, look them up before posting such delusional nonsense.

Happy Brexmas!
 WaterMonkey 24 Dec 2017

Surely the Leavers won't need a passport. They won't want to go and visit those nasty foreigners..
In reply to Big Ger:

And, he's off again...
 MG 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Just moronic brexiters are happy at this. Nothing to be proud of.
 Dave the Rave 24 Dec 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Not all Brexiteers are bothered about colour.
 Tyler 24 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:
> Right, so it isn't actually a metaphor for Brexit for being shit, but is in fact fervent Remainers actually believing that Brexitiers think that this is somehow a valid justification for Brexit?

> I voted Remain and beyond journalistic jingoism, I don't believe for a moment that any Brexitier actually believes that the colour change is any sort of victory. In fact, all I'm seeing in this thread is Remainers wanting to believe that all Brexitiers believe in such nonsense and to be honest, it's fairly indicative of a lot of posters wanting to turn everything Brexit into a doom and gloom fiasco.
It might not be a factor for you but to pretend this hasn't been widely trumpeted as an important victory prominent Brexiters and the three Brexit supporting press is a lie. The reason for the derision is because, so far this is the only 'victory' as everything else that was promised (the EU can go and whistle for their money, we will negotiate a trade deal in parallel to the other issues, the first visit I will make is to Berlin to strike a deal etc.) has proven to be nonsense. Possibly this is why very many Brexiters (not you and Ger) are making a big deal of this
Post edited at 10:40
 Bob Hughes 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Thread:

What I don’t understand is why we would go back to the old design. It’s not really the forward-thinking, global Britain that Boris Johnson tells us we should be aiming for. Britain has a world leading creative services industry so why not use the passport redesign to showcase that. Get a British agency to come up with a design classic. E.g. the Swiss passport is a fantastic piece of design.

Could be a great PR win and a way of showing what kind of post-Brexit Britain we aim to be. In Florence, Theresa May said “if we open our minds to new thinking and new possibilities, we can forge a better, brighter future for all our peoples” so instead of going back to pre1988, lets have a bit of new thinking.
In reply to Bob Hughes:
> Could be a great PR win and a way of showing what kind of post-Brexit Britain we aim to be. In Florence, Theresa May said “if we open our minds to new thinking and new possibilities, we can forge a better, brighter future for all our peoples” so instead of going back to pre1988, lets have a bit of new thinking.

The problem with that is it ignores the reality of the Tory/UKIP/Brexit supporting demographic. As I pointed out above average age of Tory party members is 72. Research found that supporting Brexit was strongly correlated with not travelling outside the UK and lower educational attainment (NB: for the sake of the mathematically challenged 'strongly correlated with' is not the same as 'all').

The Brexiters would have a fit if you put a modern design on the passport. They want a big f*ck you royal crest, 'Her Brittanic Majesty', and the exact shade of extremely dark blue they remember. They'd like all the new fangled computer chips taken out and the big old cardboard cover with their name handwritten ideally with a quill.
Post edited at 12:58
 FactorXXX 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

You have SEEN FarAge's contents and the Sun and Mail headlines

The swivel eyed looney Farage says something, the usual newspapers report it in a certain fashion and that somehow means that all Brexitiers are celebrating the colour change as some sort of nationalistic victory?
I'll stand by what I say, the only people kicking up a fuss about this are people at the extreme ends of the Leave/Remain spectrum and the vast majority of us - leavers and remainers, don't actually give a shit what colour the passport is.
Actually, from a pragmatic point of view, it should be bright orange as you'd be less likely to lose it.
 Flinticus 24 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

I'd go for bright orange. My hill wear sunglasses have an orange frame for this reason.
 Bob Hughes 24 Dec 2017

That may be the political calculation they are making - although I suspect it is more likely evidence of not thinking / lazy thinking. But the Tory party has a real problem with the demographic of its support. Pretty soon a large number of their supporters will be dead. They need to finding a way to appeal to young people by selling them an optimistic vision of capitalism. They won’t do that with a re-hash of the 1950s. By the same token, they need to figure out how to sell Brexit to remainers. The “will of the people” has worked in the short term but isn’t sustainable. People will get sick of it and as the referendum slips further into the past, the will of the people becomes a less and less compelling argument. They need to start creating a positive vision that people want.
In reply to Bob Hughes:

> What I don’t understand is why we would go back to the old design. It’s not really the forward-thinking, global Britain that Boris Johnson tells us we should be aiming for. Britain has a world leading creative services industry so why not use the passport redesign to showcase that. Get a British agency to come up with a design classic. E.g. the Swiss passport is a fantastic piece of design.

> Could be a great PR win and a way of showing what kind of post-Brexit Britain we aim to be. In Florence, Theresa May said “if we open our minds to new thinking and new possibilities, we can forge a better, brighter future for all our peoples” so instead of going back to pre1988, lets have a bit of new thinking.

I've just found my old one, dating from 1966-76. It's even bigger, clunkier and more awkward than I remember, and so dark blue that it's virtually black. A really dull and impractical design. Just from the design point of view alone, it's a complete bummer. Nothing like as attractive as my latest maroon one.

It seems to me a bit like going back to Viking nylon hawser-laid ropes, hemp waist-lines and Hiatt steel D-screw krabs.
Post edited at 16:30
 Bob Hughes 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

We need something like this - a classic piece of design and a nice bright color

https://tinyurl.com/ybobn48m
 FactorXXX 24 Dec 2017

I've just found my old one, dating from 1966-76. It's even bigger, clunkier and more awkward than I remember, and so dark blue that it's virtually black. A really dull and impractical design. Just from the design point of view alone, it's a complete bummer. Nothing like as attractive as my latest maroon one.

I don't think the intention is to go back to the original size and being made of stiff cardboard, etc.
In reply to FactorXXX:

Well, OK, but the whole exercise seems very strange indeed: I suppose it's just to detract attention from what the new passport will be taking away from us.

PS. David Davis was spluttering as recently as November about the possibility of UK citizens retaining their EU citizenship, but I very much doubt (like much else that he says) that there's any possibility of this at all. Does anyone know the latest on this?
Post edited at 17:22
 john arran 24 Dec 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I don't think the intention is to go back to the original size and being made of stiff cardboard, etc.

So what is the intention? A simple change of colour that could have been done at any time while still in the EU? What is it that the rags are getting so excited about? Why is it being touted as even Brexit-related at all? Pretty hard to fathom such blanket coverage of something that so evidently doesn't mean any of the things the PM and some of the press are clearly implying it means.
 Ian W 24 Dec 2017

> Well, OK, but the whole exercise seems very strange indeed: I suppose it's just to detract attention from what the new passport will be taking away from us.

> PS. David Davis was spluttering as recently as November about the possibility of UK citizens retaining their EU citizenship, but I very much doubt (like much else that he says) that there's any possibility of this at all. Does anyone know the latest on this?

I dont think we can read anything into Daid Davis words. They are just that; words in a certain order that make coherent sentences. Any relationship with the truth or eventual actual outcome is purely coincidental.
It would be nice to think we could retain EU citizenship, but how wouid we square that with free movement being denied the other EU citizens? If there's no free movement, surely there's no point retaining EU citizenship? And if we have EU citizenship, then how do you differentiate between "our" EU citizenship and "their" EU citizenship? Unless he was referring to those resident in the EU27?
For me, and if anyone has a better argument I'll listen, retaining EU citizenship is a complete dead duck unless the UK gives in on one of the main reasons for the out vote, i.e. regaining control of our borders.
In reply to Bob Hughes:
> We need something like this - a classic piece of design and a nice bright color

Excellent passport, nice colour, nice font, minimalist, no nonsense about royalty and best of all full privileges to enter and work in the EU.

Guy Verhofstadt's suggestion is nice too, and it is even blue.
https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt
Post edited at 18:06
In reply to Ian W:

Agreed. It's impossible to see it any other way.
 Stichtplate 24 Dec 2017

>

> It seems to me a bit like going back to Viking nylon hawser-laid ropes, hemp waist-lines and Hiatt steel D-screw krabs.

If you're such a champion for progress and practicality how come Fiva cost me more on Kindle than the paperback price?

(still stings a bit).

krikoman 24 Dec 2017

It just more playground f*cking bickering, changing our passport is about as significant as changing a nappy, the stink of shit only leaves for a short while and then we're back where we started.
 Brass Nipples 24 Dec 2017

The passport design changes all the time, hardly a big deal. Can't believe all the people posting on this thread about the colour. Must be a slow news day.
In reply to Stichtplate:

> If you're such a champion for progress and practicality how come Fiva cost me more on Kindle than the paperback price?

> (still stings a bit).

There is NO British version of Fiva on Kindle. Once it was sold to the Americans by our publisher they had rights for a Kindle version, but we had no control whatever over their pricing. If yours was not the American (Mountaineers books) edition, it's a fraud ... and please email details of where you got it from.

Stichtplate 25 Dec 2017
It’s showing on UK Amazon now at £8.49 .

Edit: and a very fine book it is too, so I sincerely hope you’re collecting royalties on all available formats.

....Oh, and can we now have the British edition with a blue cover?
Post edited at 01:28
 girlymonkey 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Bob Hughes:

I hadn't seen the Swiss passport before. It is a classy design!
 john yates 27 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

How do you arrive at this cost?
 john arran 27 Dec 2017
In reply to john yates:

> How do you arrive at this cost?

It isn't a cost, it's a price.
 john yates 28 Dec 2017

Fake news i’m afraid Tom. It’s thought to be 57. Similar in fact to other parties.
https://fullfact.org/news/how-old-average-conservative-party-member/
Just like the cost of the change is fake news.
Both sides at it. Can’t believe either of them.
 john yates 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

How much something costs is it’s price. So how did you arrive at this price.
 john yates 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

If you go into a shop and ask the price of something it is usual to say - how much does this cost. The respondent would tell you the price.
In economics cost and price are different. The difference being a profit or a loss. But in everyday speech they mean the same thing.
You demean yourself by declining to answer a question the meaning of which you will have understood. I merely asked how you had arrived at the figure quoted.
 john arran 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john yates:

Please excuse me, I've just spotted a third cousin I hardly know, over the far side of the room, and I really ought to go and say hello. Enjoy the party.
In reply to john yates:

After reading that link I still believe the 72 number which it says comes from the Bow group (which is a Tory think tank) and based on internal Conservative party data as opposed to the 57 number which comes from academics working off YouGov data. The Tories have the membership database, the academics don't.

It definitely isn't 'fake news' or 'both sides at it' when the number comes from a Tory think tank. Nothing to do with Labour or the press.
 deepsoup 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john yates:

John didn't just make that price up off the top of his head, oh no, definitely not.

It is the result of a whole series of detailed studies he's had commissioned. Very detailed. I mean a mind boggling amount of detail. The studies are confidential at the moment, but they'll be released in full in due course.
 john arran 28 Dec 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

That's not strictly true, deepsoup. The studies don't actually exist, but I'm considering releasing highly redacted copies of them anyway. In any case they won't be called detailed studies, as they clearly were studies in detail, which obviously is something completely different.
 Ian W 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

Are you sure they were studies, and not sector analyses?
Or was it the other way round? I forget......
In reply to Ian W:

Whatever I said they were six more nths ago, they certainly do not exist now, and obviously never existed six months ago. Where did you get your information from that they existed? News footage of me saying how detailed they were? Fake news, obviously...
 Ian W 28 Dec 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Must have been a Russian plot to confuse the parliamentary committee featuring a Davis lookalike. Only explanation.
 john yates 28 Dec 2017

72 is fake news. But what do you care. Never let s fact unsettle a prejudice.
 john yates 28 Dec 2017

So you believe a Tory think tank? Only when it confirms an existing belief. Risible. You can believe in the tooth fairy fella.
 MG 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john yates:

> 72 is fake news. But what do you care. Never let s fact unsettle a prejudice.

Says the guy who’s repeatedly lied about Brexit related “facts”!!
 john yates 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

So still no confirmation on passport price? Leads me to think it is just another baseless, post factual bit of political spin.
You are as rude as you always were.
 MG 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john yates:

> So still no confirmation on passport price? Leads me to think it is just another baseless, post factual bit of political spin.

Comprehension of satire isn’t your strongest suit is it?

john yates 28 Dec 2017
In reply to MG:

I don’t think ‘the worlds most accomplished climber’ is capable of satire. But thanks for sharing your deep wisdom with me. I feel immense benefit from the free psychological interpretation. You are clearly a highly gifted person. But your views on politics are so immature.
 MG 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john yates:

> I don’t think ‘the worlds most accomplished climber’

More lies I see. John’s website states “...one of the most accomplished all-round climbers in the world” which has a totally different meaning to your fabrication, is true, and completely irrelevant to this discussion anyway.
 john yates 28 Dec 2017
In reply to MG:

Satire’s not your strong suit either MG heh? And this really isn’t a discussion. When you are abusive, it’s frank debate. When others descend to your level ..and here I plead guilty.. you cry foul. Anyone who can so self-describe clearly lacks the humility to see or hear another point of view. All the best my MGB.
 john arran 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john yates:

> So still no confirmation on passport price? Leads me to think it is just another baseless, post factual bit of political spin.

> You are as rude as you always were.

Do you really believe I had a well-researched logical rationale for choosing that price? If so, you're even more naive than I thought.
If you look back upon the thread you will see the post you're obsessing about was a humorous one that you seem to have taken rather too seriously.

If you really want to know my rationale for choosing the price of the passport it was a guess as to the price that some numpties may be prepared to pay for a meaningless image, much like a personalised number plate, that seems to have attained some kind of value in modern Britain, where skewed values seem to have become normalised to an extent that, to me, seems unreasonable. But if you really want to pay a few hundred quid for a number plate or for a personalised credit card or for a passport cover, then don't let me stop you.

Maybe my proposed price of £199 was too low?
In reply to john yates:

> So you believe a Tory think tank? Only when it confirms an existing belief. Risible. You can believe in the tooth fairy fella.

People lie when they have something to gain. If you assume they are lying when they say the average age is 72 then logically you should expect the actual average age to be higher. They have no reason to lie the average age up from 57 to 72.
 john yates 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

I now believe that most of what you say is largely fictional.
 john yates 29 Dec 2017
In reply to MG:

This guy has impeccable pro-EU and anti/Brexit credentials. It’s worth taking time to read as it might make you think twice about reporting as fact something that isn’t. But you probs won’t as you prefer abuse and slander..
https://jonworth.eu/whats-age-members-tory-party-incorrect-number-lodged-pe...
In reply to john yates:

> Never let s fact unsettle a prejudice.

There aren't any 'facts' in this case; there are only different estimates.

Who is to say which is the more accurate estimate? Do you have full access to the membership data?

Is it not fairly reasonable to think that a Tory think tank wouldn't want to make statements that would be detrimental to the Tory party? What do you think they would have to gain by reporting the average age of party members to be higher than it really is?
 john yates 29 Dec 2017
In reply:

I am sorry, but the figure was quoted as a fact. As you rightly say it isn’t. But that doesn’t stop someone claiming it as a fact. As happened here.

If you’d taken the trouble to read the Blog you would have understood why this age-claim should have been treated with caution.

Instead you ask why should the Bow Group publish this figure? Perhaps, with the limited data they had, this would be the average. Perhaps they just got it wrong. Or perhaps they wanted to alarm the party leadership into realising it needed to recruit more younger members. Who knows?

My guess is that the independent academics are nearer the mark. At least their methodology is open for all to see. But hey. The fact is it served the remainers purpose to make some wild, ageist claim that the Tories are old and out of touch with the mood of the country.

Much of the country is old, and its mood is out of sorts. But older people still, rightly, have a vote and a stake in society. Remainers may belittle their patriotism; mock their affection for symbols that have little meaning to themselves; scoff at their incomprehension of the world around them. But one thing is for sure. In doing so, the Renainers have created the very climate that made the Leave victory possible.

When remainers want to know who to blame for the mess they now think we are in, I can think of a good place to look. The mirror.

In reply to john yates:

> The mirror

You appear to be confusing me with David Cameron.
 MG 29 Dec 2017
In reply to john yates:

> This guy has impeccable pro-EU and anti/Brexit credentials. It’s worth taking time to read as it might make you think twice about reporting as fact something that isn’t. But you probs won’t as you prefer abuse and slander..

I have never suggested any average age for Tory members.
 MG 29 Dec 2017
In reply to john yates:

> Satire’s not your strong suit either MG heh?

So mis- quoting someone to make them look poor was satire, and not a dishonest ad hom. Of course it was and I’m the Queen of Sheba.
 john yates 29 Dec 2017
In reply to MG:

Funny that, I had you down as an ancient queen. Night night daaarliing.
 IPPurewater 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Do you have an IQ ?
 Big Ger 02 Jan 2018
In reply to IPPurewater:

Grow up.
 Timmd 02 Jan 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

Hmmn, last Friday on the radio in the UK Nigel Farage said it was 'a great victory',at which my taxi driver shook his head.

There's been many things like this in the media in the UK since the referendum, which may partly help to explain some of the exasperation felt by 'remoaners'? Even if there are Brexiters who aren't stupid (which I don't doubt there are), there's been a lot said which has been as inconsequential as that. Which in the face of a pivotal leap into the unknown, is probably likely to annoy anybody who wasn't in favour of it in the first place.
Post edited at 02:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...