UKC

Kilimanjaro travel insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climbermonk 23 Dec 2017
hi guys n girls.

looking for advice and direction.
i'm doing an organised trek up Kilimanjaro in January and need to get my insurance, any recommendations as to a company?
ive looked at BMC obviously and it seems very expensive. any others?
ideally multi trip but any advice welcome.
cheers
Robin
 Pedro50 23 Dec 2017
In reply to climbermonk:

How much is BMC compared to the total cost of the organised trek? I used BMC, but can't remember the cost.
climbermonk 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Pedro50:
BMC is over £600
DogTag just over £200

the trip is £1,750 then flights, tips etc on top
Post edited at 17:39
 Pedro50 23 Dec 2017
In reply to climbermonk:

Gosh I see your dilemma! Certainly wasn't nearly that much in 2004.

A high proportion of UK trekkers will not be in the BMC and will have made other arrangements. Definitely shop around!
 Pedro50 23 Dec 2017
In reply to climbermonk:

Just looked at BMC site. I'm sure Kili used to be covered by Trekking despite its altitude. It now seems to be excluded and you require Alpine and Ski which seems harsh. Most people requiring rescue can probably be evacuated by the trekking outfitter which would cost nothing. We had sufficient guides that a member of our party was evacuated with no problem to a road head.
climbermonk 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

yeah i thought it was strange being 'bumped' up to Alpine for a trek.
i'm still looking around
 wert 23 Dec 2017
In reply to climbermonk:
We've used Snowcard.

climbermonk 23 Dec 2017
In reply to wert:

came up £240 with them , better!
 Trangia 23 Dec 2017
In reply to climbermonk:

You say it's an organised trip. Who do the organisers recommend?
climbermonk 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:

i've not asked them, i'll send them an email and see what they say.
 splat2million 23 Dec 2017
In reply to climbermonk:

A lot of regular travel insurance will cover you for trekking at altitude as part of an organised group (to a certain altitude limit) if you have the sports cover.
I've used Endsleigh in the past and I think they covered up to 6000m at the time.
David
 shantaram 23 Dec 2017
In reply to climbermonk:

£600 seems like a lot. I just typed in my details for a 9 day trip in July for Kili to the BMC insurance website and it came to £247. Very expensive, but not your quoted £600.
climbermonk 24 Dec 2017
In reply to shantaram:

i got a quote for an annual multi trip (each no longer than 31 days) alpine with snowboarding.
still looking!
 olddirtydoggy 24 Dec 2017
In reply to climbermonk:

+1 for dogtag. Easy to customise and very easy to contact. Never had an emergency or rescue yet. BMC is overpriced.
 Fredt 24 Dec 2017
In reply to climbermonk:

Take a look at Austrian Alpine Club Insurance
cargo13 31 Dec 2017
In reply to climbermonk:

Wow, rather late to buying travel insurance. We buy when we book our trip/climb to cover cancellation. The good news for you is that your insurance premium will be lower as you are so close to departure. Would definitely recommend GENERALI Travel Insurance (website is www.generalitravelinsurance.com) because of their sporting coverages. Use NY if if you need a state of residence from UK.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...