UKC

Which Rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Catriona 25 Dec 2017
Santa is buying me a new 30m rope for indoor climbing. I'm after something cheap and durable, and ideally nice to handle. I've found these two - can anyone recommend one over the other please, or anything else to look at? It'll be used for indoor toproping and leading, with everything from kids to big blokes.

https://rockrun.com/products/mammut-promo-9-5mm-x-30m
https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/beal-zonsi-101-bergfreunde-edition-single-rope...
 AlanLittle 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Catriona:

Not much to choose really, both frm top manufacturers. For indoor use I‘d personally probably incline to the 10.1 over the 9.5
 wbo 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Catriona: I'e got a similar mammut rope and it's very good. But i will say that 30m is too short - it won't even get you up and down a lot of inside walls. 40m at least

bpmclimb 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Catriona:

+1 for the point about rope length, unless you know 30m is enough for your local wall, and you're only going to use that one wall. 35m minimum for a rope if you intend climbing at various different walls; even that won't be enough for the longest routes at some walls.

Regarding those two ropes: the Beal is thicker than the Mammut - you'll probably get a bit more wear out of it, and it'll probably feel nice and comfy in the belay hand, but be aware that it might be a bit thick for some belay devices (e.g. Grigri 2).
OP Catriona 25 Dec 2017
In reply to bpmclimb:

I'll mainly be climbing in Derby and Birmingham, where I gather 30m should be enough. I have a 50m rope which I use outdoor, so that would do if I ever stray beyond those two areas.

springfall2008 25 Dec 2017
In reply to bpmclimb:

> Regarding those two ropes: the Beal is thicker than the Mammut - you'll probably get a bit more wear out of it, and it'll probably feel nice and comfy in the belay hand, but be aware that it might be a bit thick for some belay devices (e.g. Grigri 2).

Interesting you say that, I prefer thinner ropes for handling. My 8mm half ropes feel great and in comparison the single ropes feel so fat!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...