UKC

Hut to Hut, Austria with kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hpil 26 Dec 2017
Looking for suggestions for 4-5 day Hut to Hut routes we can do with the kids (9 & 12) next year. They have a reasonable head for heights, have done striding edge, sharp edge, curved ridge etc with no problem at all. This summer the (then) 8 year old did the Jamtland triangle, which had 19km one day but only a few hundred m of ascent. Was looking at the Berliner hohenweg, but I think some of the days are a bit too long and the terrain a bit too committing if the weather craps out. I think a day length of around 6 hrs max, to give us maybe 2hrs extra without putting them off such adventures for life. Any ideas?
elf23 26 Dec 2017
In reply to hpil:

Stubai Tal fits the bill perfectly.
Our kids had heaps of fun , nearly every hut has a Via ferrata or and flying fox. Area is beautiful. Easy to bag a couple of peaks during a trek. Don't miss out on the Hildesheimer and Sulzennauerhutte.
Important : Do reserve the huts in advance!!!!!!

Have fun
 jonnie3430 26 Dec 2017
In reply to hpil:

Have you seen the bill O'Connor books? Or first tour was the silvretta and I think you'd be able to bail easily en route.
OP hpil 26 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

Er, they're ski touring? Should have specified summer walking in my post...
 tjekel 26 Dec 2017
In reply to hpil:

Try Niedere Tauern area - no glaciers, but lots of little rivers and lakes to keep children happy (did this with my parents the same age). Hut to hut perfectly possible, some summits along or just off the main route.

For a completely different landscape, Totes Gebirge provides a karatst plateau to be crossed in 4-5 days. Again AAC HUTS available.

If specific information is needed, just Pn ...
 gav 27 Dec 2017
In reply to hpil:

Met a family with 2 kids when we were walking the Berliner trail. They did it in two parts, skipping the long days at beginning and end and resting in the middle in town. Might be achievable in a similar style? None of the terrain is very technical, though there is quite a lot of ascent/descent each day (1000m). Can bail out from any of the huts to the valley, though not necessarily during the day.
 Toerag 25 Jan 2018
In reply to hpil:

Lechtaler Hoehenweg? I like the look of it but have never walked in the area.

http://huettentouren.net/Tour/huettentour-lechtaler-hoehenweg/

pasbury 25 Jan 2018
In reply to hpil:

No advice I'm afraid but I'd like to say what a great idea for a holiday. When my kids are a bit older I might suggest it (even though going for a walk is met with howls of protest right up until we actually start walking - then they love it).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...